[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Design Toscano Tikis
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Design Toscano Tikis
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-11 3:32 pm   Permalink

http://www.designtoscano.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1454&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=1454

Any one know what these are made of?

The description says resin. Is this fiberglass?

Thanks

View Profile of gonzo Send a personal message to gonzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-11 3:46 pm   Permalink

Can't swear to the molecular structure of resin, but I can swear that that is a bad price for that statue. Get ahold of an onboard airline magazine (Continental and/or Delta has it)- they're cheaper there (by about $20 or $30). Happy hunting!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-11 9:44 pm   Permalink

I have one of each, and I can say they hold up quite well outdoors.

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-11 11:54 pm   Permalink

They look like resin, sound like resin, smell like resin, feel like resin, and taste like resin. I think they are made out of resin.

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fartsatune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 01:39 am   Permalink

My pet peeve is...............RESIN

View Profile of fartsatune Send a personal message to fartsatune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 03:00 am   Permalink

WHAT? You hate resin. I love resin, all the vintage classics, lamps, light switch plates, door knobs, even tables! My house is plastic fantastic. This should freak you out...

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SullTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 08:02 am   Permalink

res·in
Any of numerous physically similar polymerized synthetics or chemically modified natural resins including thermoplastic materials such as polyvinyl, polystyrene, and polyethylene and thermosetting materials such as polyesters, epoxies, and silicones that are used with fillers, stabilizers, pigments, and other components to form plastics.

That's what they are alright...and I love both of mine.

View Profile of SullTiki Send a personal message to SullTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 10:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-02-12 08:02, SullTiki wrote:
res·in
Any of numerous physically similar polymerized synthetics or chemically modified natural resins including thermoplastic materials such as polyvinyl, polystyrene, and polyethylene and thermosetting materials such as polyesters, epoxies, and silicones that are used with fillers, stabilizers, pigments, and other components to form plastics.

"I have one word for you, Benjamin -- PLASTICS."

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 10:58 am   Permalink

Hey guys - speaking of "plastiki," a friend and I are working on possibly sculpting and casting some large 'outdoor-use' moai and tikis out of some sort of fiberglass or resin. whaddya think the interest level would be for this? (before we waste our time).

(This friend also actually asked me what I thought he could get for a fiberglass/foam FULL SIZED moai.)

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 11:18 am   Permalink

I can just see a FULL sized foam moai tumbling down the street during our next Santa Ana wind storm (last winds were 80mph) That would be a sight!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 12:30 pm   Permalink

that would be awesome - it's raining moais! that gives me an idea for a painting.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 1:45 pm   Permalink

I personally like the resin tikis by Design Toscano. I only wish more people were producing resin tikis. It would be cool to see resin reproductions of Shmaltz, Guanko, Bumatay and others' carvings.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 2:33 pm   Permalink

On a serious note, I agree with pop that I love this material. Palm wood tikis are great, but too risky for me and anyone who has palms in their yard or surrounding neighborhood. Two deadly fungus (fungi?) have spread through the palm growing communities of Florida, California, Texas, and more including South American Countries. One, I have been plagued with is Ganoderma another has hit Beverly Hills. Below is a headline from a recent article in LA Times. Estimated loss per palm is 10,000! Total of $6 Million+ and they may not be replaced!

"Beverly Hills Bids a Frond Farewell; A widespread fungus is slowly but surely killing hundreds of the city's signature palms."
The Los Angeles Times; Los Angeles, Calif.; Jan 18, 2003; Martha Groves

The palms they are speaking of are Phoenix Canariensis aka Canary Island Date or Pineapple Palm but these can affect many different spicies.

I know from speaking to Chikitiki at Bigbro's wine gathering that he often gets this type of palm logs. These two types of fungus can live, grow, and flower in cut palms and is easily spread. There is NO cure or prevention after years of study at the U of Florida! Please beware!

I hope more people make tikis out of materials like resin.

fartsatune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 3:11 pm   Permalink

Sorry Laney, when I said I hated resin, I didn't mean plastic, I meant the stuff that looks like this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3206245781&category=10875

View Profile of fartsatune Send a personal message to fartsatune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 3:15 pm   Permalink

That actually doesn't look like resin at all - it looks more like soap...

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation