[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki hawaiian war chant
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
hawaiian war chant
canadatikipunk

Posted: 2003-02-11 7:25 pm   Permalink

howdy all

just wondering if any one out there is collecting versions of the song "hawaiian war chant" i have about 70 versions so far drom rag time to banjo to whatever type of music bill muir plays.maybe if someone out there s into it let me know, maybe we could do some trades... later days cats

View Profile of canadatikipunk Send a personal message to canadatikipunk  Email canadatikipunk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 05:51 am   Permalink

I assume you have the Muppets Version?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-12 08:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-02-11 19:25, canadatikipunk wrote:
howdy all

just wondering if any one out there is collecting versions of the song "hawaiian war chant" i have about 70 versions so far drom rag time to banjo to whatever type of music bill muir plays.maybe if someone out there s into it let me know, maybe we could do some trades... later days cats

70 versions?! Can they be burned to CD? I'd be willing to trade one of my mugs for that! Email me at
polynesianpop@yahoo.com if you interested.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PoiBoy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-12 11:14 am   Permalink

This post got me interested in seeing how many versions I could download from the internet/file-sharing programs. So far I have found 19 (including the Muppet version lol). That was just 15 minutes of searching....

View Profile of PoiBoy Send a personal message to PoiBoy  Email PoiBoy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-02-12 11:18 am   Permalink

Having numerous versions of the Hawaiian War Chant is one thing, memorizing the lyrics is another!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hoahele Howard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-15 12:18 am   Permalink

I've been working on a compilation album for years I'm calling "Hawaiian War Caravan" with alternating version of the Hawaiian War Chant and Caravan.

70 versions -- nice going! I probably have somewhere in the mid-30s of each.

View Profile of Hoahele Howard Send a personal message to Hoahele Howard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-15 02:10 am   Permalink

Howard, interesting idea for a compilation. Have you ever heard of the Exotic Trilogy? See the last entry on this page:

http://www.tikiroom.com/music/savage-alsoworthnoting.htm

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-15 03:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-02-12 05:51, tikifish wrote:
I assume you have the Muppets Version?

there's a muppet version? on a particular album? ooh ooh!!!

*added a few minutes later*

actually a very quick search yielded:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=product&id=1921151385

cool stuff,
chris

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-02-15 03:41 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-15 12:07 pm   Permalink

I have several versions myself but have never actually tried to see how many I could find. Hmmm. Inspiration strikes.

View Profile of stunrut Send a personal message to stunrut  Email stunrut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-16 2:48 pm   Permalink

Already in my collection I have Hawaiian War Chant by:

Don Ho
Sandy Nelson
Muppets
Jack de Mello
Spike Jones
Billy Vaughn
Martin Denny
Arthur Lyman
Ella Fitzgerald
University of Michigan Marching Band

View Profile of stunrut Send a personal message to stunrut  Email stunrut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-16 3:45 pm   Permalink

billy muire's version is exceptional.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-16 9:22 pm   Permalink

After a little searching I've added these versions to my collection:

Ventures
Webley Edwards
Ames Brothers (ED Ames)
Johnny Meijer
Kilima Hawaiians
Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room (Already had this one and forgot)
Kim Kahuna
Johnny Ukelele
MIT Logarhythms (MIT Men's Corus)
New Hawaiian Band
Roger Marks Armada Jazz Band
One unnamed just titled Hawaiian War Chant (I don't recognize it)

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-16 10:31 pm   Permalink

stunrut,
My alltime favourite has to be the Enchanted Tiki Room version, probably becuase it was the first time I heard it at the E.T. Room when I was about 8 years old and it had a heavy impact on me that lasts to this day. Imagine having Micheal Jackson's recources as an adult & being capable of creating a personal amusement park to your own specifications. I'd have a perfect re-creation of the Enchanted Tiki Room I could hang out at any time...but it would have to have a really well-stocked Witco bar at one end serving up all my favourite drinks in vintage tiki mugs for me and my freinds anytime we desired. By the way...I'd really like to hear that Spike Jones "War Chant". Will have to check into that.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-18 09:57 am   Permalink

The Spike Jones is awesome. I do have to agree however that Enchanted Tiki Room is the best. I am a HUGE Disney fan. (Well, actually, I'm just kinda big but I love Disney!) I love the Tiki birds. I wish that Walt Disney World Fl would go back to the original. I'm not happy with the new show.

By the way if you go to
http://www.spaceagepop.com/hwc.htm You can find a list of just about every version available.

[ This Message was edited by: stunrut on 2003-02-18 09:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: stunrut on 2003-02-18 09:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: stunrut on 2003-02-18 10:01 ]

Hoahele Howard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-02-18 11:05 pm   Permalink

The one one I have that's not on those lists is a version by Bob Willis and the Texas Playboys. Yee-ha!

I hadn't heard of the Exotic Trilogy before -- that's pretty funny. I just happened to notice that verson of The Hawaiian War Chant and Caravan were on my exotica-albums over and over again. I think my original idea was an all THWC album but even I couldn't put up with that!

View Profile of Hoahele Howard Send a personal message to Hoahele Howard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation