FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki hawaiian war chant
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
hawaiian war chant
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-20 5:53 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:09 ]

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-21 09:08 am   Permalink

Yeah, I have the Texas Playboys version too. I'm also into cowboy music!

View Profile of stunrut Send a personal message to stunrut  Email stunrut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
canadatikipunk

Posted: 2003-02-21 2:35 pm   Permalink

wow there are some versions out there i don't have cool,this weekend i will list all the ones i have for you cats,and we can see what we can come up with(another song i collect is the country classic "Jackson" don't have as many versions but quiet a few.

later days cats and thaks for the interest and information

View Profile of canadatikipunk Send a personal message to canadatikipunk  Email canadatikipunk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-23 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-02-18 23:05, Hoahele Howard wrote:
The one one I have that's not on those lists is a version by Bob Willis and the Texas Playboys. Yee-ha!

I actually have that one, too!

...when drums begin to pound, my head full - BIG sound!
[img]http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/images/avatars/3fc1bc033d70dcbbea619.gif[/im

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-23 09:36 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:05 ]

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stunrut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-02-24 1:01 pm   Permalink

It's getting harder and harder to find more recordings without spending a lot of money.

View Profile of stunrut Send a personal message to stunrut  Email stunrut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-26 7:33 pm   Permalink

The Satin Dollz singing The Hawaiian War Chant at the Cicada Club in Los Angeles. They had a vintage supper club Hawaiian show on July 31, 2012.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZsqks3E1s

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-27 4:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-26 19:33, tikilongbeach wrote:
The Satin Dollz singing The Hawaiian War Chant at the Cicada Club in Los Angeles. They had a vintage supper club Hawaiian show on July 31, 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZsqks3E1s

WOW That was some video. It looks like a video straight out of the 1940's.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-28 5:25 pm   Permalink

youtube has several Satin Dollz videos that look like the 1940's.
Here they are singing 'Honolulu' the same night.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkv6OKaYSjs

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 09:53 am   Permalink

This is totally awesome...!!!!

Vintage supper club, period correctness, great music! I will be surprised if anyone on this forum actually likes this!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2012-12-29 09:55 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 12:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-28 17:25, tikilongbeach wrote:
youtube has several Satin Dollz videos that look like the 1940's.
Here they are singing 'Honolulu' the same night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkv6OKaYSjs

Thanks, I found this video after I watched Hawaiian War Chant. Very cool. I wish we had a supper club like that in Vegas.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-07 01:54 am   Permalink

Dusting off this old tread but I feel an important one. I knew there were ton of Hawaiian War Chants in the music industry but my thing is moving images like movies and TV where the Hawaiian War Chant is found all over the place. I noticed in this part of the broader entertainment industry that there are a lot of faux versions of this song with made up Polynesian words or sounds like in I LOVE LUCILLE or in OZZIE & HARRIET versions. All done in fun. My favorites are the big band versions with Tommy Dorsey featuring the great drummer Buddy Rich in SHIP AHOY (1942)which also featured a giant tiki and Eleanor Powell in a big Hollywood Hula at the end of the scene. Another favorite is the Merry Macs version found in MOONLIGHT IN HAWAII (1941)featuring the McMichael brothers. What I like about this version is the group sings the song only in the Hawaiian language. Their pronunciation was clear and almost flawless and considering it was an up tempo swing version I really enjoyed it.

Too bad... I'm not sure if one can put clips on this site for all to enjoy so I'll just share some great Hawaiian War Chant screen captures.

MOONLIGHT IN HAWAII with the Merry Macs

SHIP AHOY with Tommy Dorsey & Buddy Rich on drums

SHIP AHOY with Eleanor Powell doing the Hula

SHIP AHOY put these three together and one can imagine what a great number this was

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-01-07 01:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-01-16 22:39 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 10:27 am   Permalink

The Satin Dollz put out a new video of the Hawaiian War Chant.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK_A5OR1zvk

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-09 01:19 am   Permalink

Well, well...I just saw this post today. I don't specifically collect versions of "Hawaiian War Chant," but it happens to be one of my favorite tunes. I'm currently in the process of digitalizing my entire Hawaiian/Exotica LP collection (about 2,300 LPs) and am a bit over half way through. Presently I have 147 versions of "Hawaiian War Chant" as MP3 files...so I imagine I'll end up with over 200 version when I'm done.
Believe it or not, I do sometimes create a playlist of all the versions & listen for an hour or two with headsets...I wouldn't put anyone else through that. Some artists recorded it two or three times in different renditions.
It's a great tune that lends itself to a variety of treatments...well, it's actually kind of an annoying song, but I love it. I consider it the "Jungle Bells" of Hawaiian music.
I always feature a few versions at any given time on my internet radio station, "Hawaiian Hi-Fi."
http://www.live365.com/stations/kaiwaza

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-15 10:37 am   Permalink

WNYC in New York has run a Hawaiian War Chant marathon several times. The last being in 2012. You can listen to an hour of it here.
www.wnyc.org/story/251389-the-hawaiian-war-chant-extravaganza-2012/

There is even a PDF diploma you can print out stating that you listened to the entire show.

A song that has its roots in a languid love ballad, The Hawaiian War Chant appears on nearly every album of Hawaiian and exotic music recorded in the 1950s and '60s. Usually it was an album's only up-tempo number, and so a lot of eccentric, excited arrangements of the tune were made. Played one after another, these varied arrangements display wild imagination and irrepressible verve. David Garland's first Hawaiian War Chant Extravaganza was on WNYC in 1989, prompting articles in the Wall Street Journal and Honolulu Magazine. Garland offered listeners a suitable-for-framing diploma to anyone who survived the ordeal, and received many requests. Diplomas from Spinning On Air's Fully Discredited University of the Air are available on the honor system. Download the diploma below, if you listened to the whole show, if you wish you had, or even if you wish you hadn't.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation