FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Why Disneyland Sucks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Why Disneyland Sucks
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 12:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-28 20:41, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-11-28 20:31, Hiphipahula wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-11-28 18:32, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-11-28 18:04, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Four words. Adventure Through Inner Space. It was my favorite ride of all time. Still haven't gotten over that one. And it just adds insult to injury that Star Wars is not even Disney, hence Star Tours should not exist within the Magic Kingdom. Man, I can really hold a grudge.

http://www.themightymicroscope.com/dvd_puchase.htm

I bouught this, and on the big screen TV and with the volume up, and all the lights off.......

AND THERE! IS THE NUCLIOUS OF THE MOLICULE! (BUCKET SPINS AROUND & SHOWS YOU THE BIG RED LIGHT BALL)

That's when we would all scream. We also would scream when we would see the eye looking at us through the microscope.

I have the dvd of that Virtual Ride Through and I still scream at those points.

I was realy pissed when they closed ATIS!
It was the best make out ride in the park.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 12:19 pm   Permalink

DLand is still a fun place to go.

But Luke Vigorwalker & I aren't grouching, we're MAD. We're mad because we obviously LOVE Disneyland, and don't enjoy seeing it dismantled day by day to make way for cheaper, less interesting attractions.

The gardeners and tech maintenance guys are mad too. Their departments have been cut back drastically.

In 2005 I talked to an early morning gardener just leaving the park, and asked him why they had cut down all the ornamental pears that surrounded the Walt statue in the central hub. These exquisite trees were the result of decades of careful hand-pruning to create enormous (in effect) bonsai plants. In spring they'd turn into snowball trees, popping out into beautiful white blossoms. They were like Japanese cherry blossoms, but stark white. The staff were so proud of them, all growing resplendant around Walt.

The gardener guy knew I loved those trees as much as he did, and said that a year before the marketing department had been taking photos of the castle and the bottom was slightly obscured by the trees. Rather than build a temporary raised camera platform, they had requested them all cut down for the 50th anniversary party.

Management went along with it and cut them all down. The problem was, the executives hadn't realized that they'd have to plant NEW trees in the same places. (Something had to go there.) So they planted new trees, all with of course straight trunks, young trees that grow really fast and STRAIGHT UP. A year later, they were back to where they had been, but worse. Nobody had consulted the tree guys. The solution was to have a camera guy simply place a platform between the trees and take some test shots. The marketing guys pretended that they liked them to avoid the blame.

Meanwhile the new trees will take literally dozens of years to prune correctly, all on tipsy ladders, to keep them from growing straight up and obscuring even more of the castle.

But that's nothing. The Rocket Rods fiasco was the thing that almost shut down the whole park.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 5:33 pm   Permalink

According to a report at Jim Hill Media, George Lucas and Disney execs will be meeting to not only go over the progress of "Star Tours 2" (the Star Tours rehab project that's been taking years to approve) but to talk about the possibility of turning the the Tomorrowland 2010 project into a Star Wars themed project.

If it goes through, and there's no reason to think it won't, this means Tomorrowland would be Star Wars Land two years from now.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-11-29 6:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-29 17:33, Cammo wrote:
According to a report at Jim Hill Media, George Lucas and Disney execs will be meeting to not only go over the progress of "Star Tours 2" (the Star Tours rehab project that's been taking years to approve) but to talk about the possibility of turning the the Tomorrowland 2010 project into a Star Wars themed project.

If it goes through, and there's no reason to think it won't, this means Tomorrowland would be Star Wars Land two years from now.

Yeechh!! But, as much as I hate the idea, it will probably be an improvement over the current dismal state.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 8:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-29 12:19, Cammo wrote:
DLand is still a fun place to go.

But Luke Vigorwalker & I aren't grouching, we're MAD. We're mad because we obviously LOVE Disneyland, and don't enjoy seeing it dismantled day by day to make way for cheaper, less interesting attractions.

You are exactly right! Because I used to be absolutely passionate about Disneyland. When I was a kid, I would literally not be able to sleep the night before. I would be dancing on the front lawn in anticipation of heading there, while my parents and little sister moved excrutiatingly slow.

But once there, I was in a different world. Because I never liked rollercoasters, I had time to sit around the various lands and find special quiet places were I could really take in the scenery and get into the details while my friends or family went on the fast rides. I still do that when I go. I have certain cool places that next time you are there, just might find me.
Outside Haunted Mansion on the other side of the fast pass center by the train tunnel. On the sidepath behind Fowler's landing watching the splash mountain boats. The last table in between the matterhorn and ariel's grotto. A table just outside and under the old peoplemover/rocket ride gantry near the buzz lightyear stage. The old swamp across from thunder mountain railroad, (where you can see the tunnel from what used to be the mine train ride.)

When I was a kid there were other places like that, but a lot are gone now, or you look damn strange hanging out there.

Cammo, you seem to understand me. I think you see what I mean and don't take my criticism of Disneyland as anything other then a letter to a lost love. What bothers me is being painted as "negative" or being a "whiner". Do people who believe that, really find nothing to be sad about in this world of change? Because I do! I get sad when a classic Tiki bar plays hip hop instead of matching exotica music. Or when Jimmy Buffet is just as well loved as Martin Denny. I get sad when Disney makes a lot of misteps that seem more oriented to profit then actual fun. Does this mean I find nothing good in Disneyland anymore? Of course not. At night, with all the colorful lights and if you are peaking on microdot, it is a great place!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 9:13 pm   Permalink

microdot? WHOAA! How about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Is it still there?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dood
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-29 10:14 pm   Permalink

The Rocket Rods were removed because after they replaced the People Mover the State of California came in and told Disneyland that they couldn't, under California state law, have any moving vehicle that allowed a passenger to reach out and touch a wall. While the People Mover was the People Mover, it was grandfathered, but once they replaced it, no more grandfathering.

This is the same reason that the new Finding Nemo submarine ride is using the same old submarines and track. If they replaced any of those apparatuses (sp? apparati?) they would have to rebuild everything from scratch to be compliant with ADA and CDA regs.

They have done plenty to screw up the parks on their own too. Eisner was a poison pill for the parks. A really good resource for tracking what's going on with Imagineering is
ReImagineering, and for general park stuff, there's always MiceAge.

I usually keep a bit of a finger on the pulse of what's going on since my wife and I are Premium AP holders and we want to know if the money is going to continue to be worth it.

Personally, I think that DL has done a lot of horrible things to their park in the past 30 years, but there are enough good things still there to keep it just out of utter suckdome.

View Profile of Dood Send a personal message to Dood  Goto the website of Dood     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 11:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks for checking in, Dood.

Yo, Luke! Remind me to tell you about California Adventures sometime, Rolly Crump told me all about how it was developed in the first place. (I can't post it here on TC.)

Rocket Rods was the most expensive theme park ride EVER designed. An Imagineer I'm related to on my wife's side told us the ride was so badly programmed on the computer-control side that it crashed an average of 5 times a day, and the whole thing had to be cold-rebooted each time, strangely just like in Jurassic Park.

But the reason they shut it down was simple, so simple the designers never caught it; the ride simply had NO emergency exit. It was up on an elevated track. If anything unforseen happened, there was no way of exiting it. There was no solution to the problem.

That ride got almost the entire Imagineering staff fired.

HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-29 11:28 pm   Permalink

And what happened to Honest Abe Lincoln on Mainstreet?

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-29 11:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-29 18:25, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

Yeechh!! But, as much as I hate the idea, it will probably be an improvement over the current dismal state.

NO! I hate the idea! No offence but what does Star wars have to do with Disney... yep so Lucas is brilliant, I would be happy if they took Star Tours out. I love the Indy ride but honestly same story there. A Disney cop out, if the day truly comes where DISNEY has no imagination left... I probably will have no want to go there & I'm sure many might feel the same. The younger generation however might disagree with me they as a mass don't care I think. Kind of like the 21-35 year old age group doesn't care that Trader Vic's BH isn't really tiki. It's cool & hip & chic, we may be the last of a dieing breed.

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Laffo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-30 12:13 am   Permalink

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is gone.
I had a chance to buy a buggy but what am I gonna do with a huge fiberglass jalopy?
Here you go...
http://virtual-toad.com/
Laffo

View Profile of Uncle Laffo Send a personal message to Uncle Laffo  Goto the website of Uncle Laffo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Laffo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-30 12:21 am   Permalink

And
http://www.spacestation77.com/
and my favorite,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPjtMjr2i_c&feature=related

View Profile of Uncle Laffo Send a personal message to Uncle Laffo  Goto the website of Uncle Laffo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Laffo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-30 12:25 am   Permalink

and the last...
http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/5732/hm3dindx.htm
Keep forgetting I have these.
Laffo

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-11-30 12:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-29 23:58, Hiphipahula wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-11-29 18:25, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

NO! I hate the idea! No offence but what does Star wars have to do with Disney... yep so Lucas is brilliant, I would be happy if they took Star Tours out. I love the Indy ride but honestly same story there. A Disney cop out, if the day truly comes where DISNEY has no imagination left... I probably will have no want to go there & I'm sure many might feel the same. The younger generation however might disagree with me they as a mass don't care I think. Kind of like the 21-35 year old age group doesn't care that Trader Vic's BH isn't really tiki. It's cool & hip & chic, we may be the last of a dieing breed.

As above, I said I hate the idea too.

Anyway, you said "...what does Star wars have to do with Disney"

There is definitely a pattern here. When Disney's film Snow White first premiered, people said "What do the Brothers Grimm have to do with Disney?... Doesn't Disney have any imagination left?".

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Laffo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-30 12:31 am   Permalink

I Lied.
http://www.haunteddimensions.raykeim.com/index.html
Laffo

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation