FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Why Disneyland Sucks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Why Disneyland Sucks
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-07 8:46 pm   Permalink

http://tikiroom.com/img/1075x4e934109.jpg

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-01 12:23 pm   Permalink

Went to Disneyland yesterday for the first time in about 2 years.

More things have been changed, and I thought the new changes sucked before but the NEWEST ONES REALLY SUCK NOW.

Here's the thing; the more I talk to people now about how cool Disneyland used to be, the more they think I'm lying! They just don't believe that New Orleans Square had a real Voodoo shop, or that every store was a theme store with actual theme goods, or that almost no rides had locking doors, or that the Golden Horseshoe had sexy shows, or that you could splash people on the Jungle Cruise, or heck, man - that you could simply park right in front of the main entrance.

I'll try to post the recent batch of misdeeds, but co-Tiki-Centralists don't forget that I am posting this because I LIKE Disneyland, not because I hate the place or have anything against that lovable little scamp Mickey.

Here's a question for now - are Pixar characters truly Disney characters?

Are they?

And even if Disney bought Star Wars for 4 billion, does that make it Disney too? Because forget about Tomorrowland now, it's gonna be Star Warfare Land for the rest of your life. Just letting you know.

ABC and Disney are the same company, right? Does that mean that ABC shows will start having rides at Disneyland, Hannah Montana and Lost (why not) because that's the first thing they handed us at the parking lot; cheesy ABC advertising flyers...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-01 1:47 pm   Permalink

Oh, and by the way, WHY DOES DISNEYLAND SUCK?

Here's why; because it's just as easy to make the wrong decision as the right one. And it's just as hard, too.

Because it actually does NOT take only brains to make the correct decision, it takes something more. It takes an almost supernatural ability to foresee the future, and it takes TALENT, which is something they definitely can't teach you at the best colleges.

There are dozens of good reasons quoted for every bad decision. History is full of them.

There's usually only one reason for a good decision, and it takes the cunning of a lion hunting bastard to see that reason before it's invaded your camp.

Walt Disney was hounded every inch of the way when he asked his "Imagineers" to build him a giant treehouse. They said they couldn't and more - that it shouldn't be built, for literally hundreds of reasons. People would fall to their deaths! Kids would try to climb the branches! Walt said, nah, just put cool looking fences beside the path you climb up. The stair are too steep! they warned him. Hah, said Walt, people will want to climb. It's fun. They'll enjoy the exercise.

Finally Walt had to tell everybody the real reason he wanted them to build it; cause he wanted the biggest damn treehouse in the world and shut up and START BUILDING IT YOU &%@$HEADS!!!!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 09:40 am   Permalink

I am kind of torn these days, for the disneyland I loved during the 70s and that I wish they had never changed...and some of the positive changes and new things they have done recently.

For example, Indiana jones is an excellent ride!

And california adventure has become really cool...if you don't mind pixar related rides, that is!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-12-03 10:35 am   Permalink

Pixar, especially their CEO John Lasseter, is tiki. There is a tiki office at Pixar and Lasseter has a collection of over 800 Hawaiian shirts. Maybe they'll incorporate some Pixar tiki elements into California Adventure. Quite a few tiki Easter eggs are in Pixar movies.
I think Buena Vista Street is gorgeous. The architectural detail and the hand painted tiles are amazing. Cars Land is also very impressive.
It's interesting that Disneyland doesn't have more original souvenirs. When the Adventureland Bazaar had some painted wooden tropical birds on metal rings a few months ago those things sold out fast.
The last time I went to Disneyland was in October and I was surprised to notice that the drunk pirate wallowing around in the mud with the pigs was gone from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Maybe he was out for repairs? Hopefully he wasn't a victim of the PC police like other parts of Pirates have been.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 12:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-03 10:35, tikilongbeach wrote:
I think Buena Vista Street is gorgeous. The architectural detail and the hand painted tiles are amazing. Cars Land is also very impressive.

I agree. So far, I have found almost every "land" in CA to be very cool, with the exception of the paradise pier area near the rollercoaster, and the airfield section near "soaring over california".

The art deco styling of Buena Vista street is expecially nice. Bugs land has a LOT of ornamental tropical foliage, (the kind used in tiki restaurants and venues since the genre was created) and hollywood land is also really cool. The "Cannery" section is visually appealling, and of course Cars land is super awesome. I even like the Grizzly rapids area, finding it to be an improved version of what Knott's has to offer.

But really, the biggest thing to watch for is how great these places look at night, all lit up.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-16 11:29 am   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-4-RUuuqQw&playnext=1&list=PL79C96A566FCEBDC1&feature=results_video

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-16 11:33 am   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HF8ePtQJHk

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-16 11:34 am   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifcBpCAKM-U

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-16 11:43 am   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP0ihNKuW4M

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 08:18 am   Permalink

ahhhh, NOW I remember why I have not had a pass for years. I tried to go yesterday after work....now, you would think on a freezing Thursday night with people out supposed to be xmas shopping, that it would not be too busy. Wrong.

The line of cars into the parking structure was long. Took me about 20 minutes to get to the attendant. I could not turn around because once you get in line, you are fully committed.

I asked the attendant what was up with this huge, fracking crowd....and he said that the dec 21st people all wanted to get one last disneyland day in, before the world ended. So, because of these dismal idiots, I was in for a rough ride!

After driving 3 times around the perimeter of the parking structure's level I was on, I gave up. There were no parking attendants (the ones that normally guide the parking) and no way to ascend to a higher parking level....so I was stuck, driving in circles. There were NO spaces available on the level I was on. Not one. There were a about 20 spaces I COULD have parked in if the lazy scumbags with their huge trucks had not parked at an angle, thus covering two spaces.

All I can say is, this was a trip fail. Good thing I did not pay 15 bucks for this.

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-12-21 09:45 am   Permalink

The crowds are why I didn't renew my pass after having one for the past 6 years. That, and the huge price increase just made it not worth it to me anymore.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-22 08:28 am   Permalink

Yeah, I hear you. That's why this is my first pass in about 7 years. I got it mainly for california adventure, and those nights when I can just slip in after work, have a beer, and go on one or two rides...I got the pass in november and have been able to do exactly that, until Thursday the 21st. That was a day from hell, and as busy as any Saturday in august, at the height of tourist season.....

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-22 10:41 am   Permalink

I'm just going to post a quick list of the crappy things I saw on the last visit:

- The new Matterhorn seats are a machined duplicate from one of their Florida rides, apparently. This cuts down on custom production costs, like they need to to cut down on costs SO MUCH. The seats are impossible to sit in comfortably, sit LESS people per car, don't have the outside bobsled grips, and kill your tailbone, a bone I like very much. They are also virtually impossible to GET OUT OF, as both feet are locked into separate holes. I've never seen a worse designed ride, which is too bad because it used to be the BEST, being the first tube-tracked roller coaster of all time.

- There are now little metal razor blades and netting on the top edge rails of the Jungle Cruise ride, they are serious about not touching the water or leaning on the rails. REALLY serious.

- The Gibson Girl ice cream place on Main street has been re-designed, destroying all the best features and taking away most of the tables and chairs in the back. The new menu sucks. I have no idea where you are supposed to share a big messy sundae now. They've also added an art-nouveau twist to the place, a style similar to but NOT the same as the Charles Dana Gibson era he drew Gibson Girls from. Oh yeah, the giant green elephant is gone. All of this, and the coffee shop/bakery next door are not decorated in the Main Street style, but look more like a Cheesecake Factory-Starbucks version of the early 20th century, sort of...

- The floor show at the Golden Horseshoe is like really short with NO girls allowed anymore as performers, apparently. It was pretty pathetic.

- No holiday dinners at the Plaza, same menu for the holidays, or am I wrong on this? They used to serve a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings, not anymore, bub.

- Over at the Blue Bayou, now must make reservations in advance, new more more expensive and limited menu, bad desserts, terribly slow service.

- The Mint Julep Bar has re-designed their beignets so they're not as fluffy - and smaller. They are shaped like Mickey now. Big deal.

- No Disney Gallery anymore above Pirates. It's an expensive room you can rent instead.

There's WAY more than that. It was weird, seeing things like the newer "safer" front on the Alice in Wonderland ride, which destroys the thrill of bursting out above the heads of those waiting in line. The new designs look quickly made and cheap. It's embarrassing.

Here's my beef - there are now 1 million people with yearly passes. This means they have an income of (round numbers) 300 MILLION dollars coming in, aside from the food & drinks, toys, plush dolls, and daily tickets sold, etc. You can double or triple their incoming, like 500 million in conservative numbers?

So -

Why CUT COSTS????

For the ego-inflating thrill of making 1.258% more than last year?

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-22 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-22 10:41, Cammo wrote:

Why CUT COSTS????

For the ego-inflating thrill of making 1.258% more than last year?

Why cut costs ?? Because Disney can, and get away with it. Cutting costs increases the profit margin.

For all of the lamenting of the changes, the majority here are still going to pony up the hundreds of dollars to spend a day in the park or renew their passes.

Besides, Disney is a publicly owned corporation with the responsibility to provide an increasing return on investment to its shareholders. If the Magic Kingdom has a monopoly on your childhood memories, then it's only good business to milk that for all it's worth, all long as you keep feeding that Mouse.

The best trip to Disneyland is the one taken through old family vacation photo albums. Anyways I always preferred Movieland Wax Museum and Japanese Deer Park. (RIP to both)

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation