FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Beyond Tiki ╗ ╗ Why Disneyland rules.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Why Disneyland rules.
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-10 12:38 pm   Permalink

Grew up in San Diego so spent many a weekend at Disneyland...indeed the "happiest place on earth." I also was fascinated with the attention to detail and mimicking of worldly environments. I totally blame Disneyland for my style of interior design in my home. Every room is currently set or have a plan for a particular theme with a room name [Flamingo Diner, Out Of Africa Master Bath (Safari theme), Tomb of Lady Beatrice FiFi Rosecrans (Egyptian master bedroom), VampTiki Lounge, La La Laundry Room, Foxshire Hunt Club (Equestrian bathroom), The Aloha Lanai (Hawaiian guest room), Bond Bungalow (007 guest house), Bombay Commissioners Office (den), Jumping Dog Brew & Cue (English Pub garage-planned). I love Design Toscano as they make really great decorative reproductions that help with many of these themes. Thank you Disneyland for my insanity.

Next year I am planning on touring around to the different Tiki bars in LA for a week. I am definitely looking forward to visiting the Tangaroa Terrace...looks like attention to detail is also the norm there.

Thanks for the pictures...keep posting them...they are inspiring.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-13 8:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-10 11:15, JOHN-O wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-10-10 10:15, Unga Bunga wrote:

Why Disneyland STILL RULES!...

But only if you're 6 years old !!!

<--- (Disney Nerds, please note Smiley Face on left)

They showed this video on the news tonight. (a little late)

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-14 2:36 pm   Permalink

A few years after Disneyland opened in Anaheim, CA, many novelty themed motels were built along Harbor Blvd., the main street leading to Disneyland. In order to compete for Disneyland tourist business, the motels were designed and built to get attention to potential lodgers.

Anaheim Vacationland
Roadside Peek
Yesterland

But of all people who were not happy with all these attention getting motels was Walt Disney who was very frustrated with the area surrounding Disneyland. He called it a ôsecond rate Las Vegas" and thought that the motels were tacky and garish. When he was conceptualizing a new theme park in Florida that would become Disney World, one of his desires was to have control of the land surrounding the new theme park so that all these "tacky, garish" motels would not be built so close to the park.

As the years progressed in Anaheim, many of these novelty themed motels such as the Cosmic Age disappeared and were replaced by the corporate hotel chains and their generic monolith archetectured buildings. This may have made Walt Disney happy but for some long time regular visitors of Disneyland, they felt that traveling past all the novelty themed motels along Harbor Blvd on the way to the park was part of the fun of going to Disneyland.

Meanwhile on June 17, 2012 inside the Disneyland Resort in Disney's California Adventure, A new section opens called Carsland which is based on the movie Cars. It is made to resemble Radiator Springs, the fictional Route 66 town from the movie.

Included is the Cozy Cone Motel, a novelty themed motel with attention grabbing archetecture.

The kind which Walt considered tacky and garish.

I guess this is not a reason why Disneyland sucks or rules. It should be listed in a thread called "Irony at Disneyland" but I don't feel like creating a new thread so here it stays. But another good post for the thread, if it did exist, would be the irony of the Filmore character in Carsland.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-05 10:30 pm   Permalink

Disneyland needs to remind parents to watch their children? Oh my! What happened to parenthood today?

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-14 6:58 pm   Permalink

Went the weekend after Tiki Oasis 13 and I'm happy to say it still rules. Ran into a few tikiphiles whilst cruising around the park.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-14 7:16 pm   Permalink

I have actually been going quite a bit lately....

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=44320&forum=13&13

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-10-14 19:19 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-14 7:18 pm   Permalink

and.....

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=44343&forum=13&10

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation