[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Hodaddy's 2D thread
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hodaddy's 2D thread
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-03 12:34 pm   Permalink

I used to do alot of freelance illustration in my twenties until I landed a directorial gig working VERY closely with a female Hawaiian editor.

Most of my work from that time was inspired by her passion for native issues ranging from Hawaiian autonomy to incarcerated Navajos being denied religious sacrament while Caucasians prisoners could gobble all the Body of Christ they wanted until their bellies were full to busting with the figurative flesh of the white God... well you get the idea.

This was before the Paradigm shifted to computer design so I did everything by hand. (I think they have a trained monkey doing my job now, who pushes a button to produce effortess but souless art in a fraction of the time and they work for bananas.)

My prefered medium for covers and editorial illustration was acrylic. I recently openned a box and found some old stuff I'll post here shortly.

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2007-12-04 09:59 ]

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-06 8:21 pm   Permalink

Yipe! Warts and all...

They look so sloppy now after twelve years. Thank goodness the black and whites were published at about 50% of this size.

As I recall, this image accompanied an article about native islanders vs US aided Japanese conglomerates, shitting on native kapu to build more fucking golf courses. A different version, long lost, wrapped the explosive tikis in an american flag touricate.(B&W acrylic on canvasboard)

...an editorial illustration that accompanied an interview with Joe Stephenson, a Jamaican tropical muralist living in the desert. I thought the publishers were insane for insisting upon my work instead of Joe's for a frickin' article about Joe, so i tried to allude to his method and influence without imitating his style.
Joe dug it. (B&W acrylic on canvasboard)

Natives in prison face caucasion indifferance to all they hold sacred. Often discouraged from non christian communal worship and denied traditional religious sacraments, Cochiti, Zuni, Navajo and Mescalero Apache faced further humiliation from white guards cutting their hair a symbol of native pride. (B&W acrylic on canvasboard)

The cover of a desert music mag: when mopey grunge was king and every two horse town was convinced they were gonna be the next Seattle! LOL! Imagine a masthead above and tons of stupid band names on the left and right of the dead pinon tree. (B&W acrylic on canvasboard)

"One does want a hint of color."

Anybody remember Lyle Alzado? It's hard to remember a time when steroids were regarded as harmless, but when one of the NFL's biggest badasses shriveled down to a drooling skeleton in just a few months, every juicing jock took notice. (color acrylic on canvasboard)

Some other sports thing... God it's ugly, but I still like the rhino's right glove. (color acrylic on canvasboard)

Plenty more of this stuff but none of it even remotely tiki...

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-06 10:14 pm   Permalink

Hey Hodaddy I dig those! A very tactile technique you had/have going. Heavy trip man deep thinkin' subject matter to paint. Would like to see some more and some recent works too. Glad to see those, thanks for diggin' them up.

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-06 11:07 pm   Permalink

Yes. More.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-07 08:31 am   Permalink

more....

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-07 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-07 08:31, Clysdalle wrote:
more....

Ditto.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 5:54 pm   Permalink

Pardon the napkin doodles

Maybe someday... a mug series by my favorite sculptors...

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 6:18 pm   Permalink

Inspired by all the colorful 2D arists at Tiki Farm event Saturday... particularlly my new mentor Kinky Rugburn...

More napkin scribbles tweeked for your psychedelic viewing pleasure, and mine! These based on a favorite childhood superhero.
May end up my first resin series. Might carve it 5ft tall...

or both...

or neither.

ULTRATANG

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 01:19 am   Permalink

Very cool stuff hodad! I had no idea you did this sort of thing....

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-23 09:21 am   Permalink

Yeah, the bastard's got skills, but the f--ker wants me to do some art for him.!!! Sheesh!

But GROG understand. GROG always like everybody elses art bettter than GROG's.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 09:39 am   Permalink

YOU GOTTA DO AN ULTRATANG!
AWESOME HANK!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 5:33 pm   Permalink

Put me on the UltraTang list - I'll take one in koa! Nice work Hodaddy!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 8:12 pm   Permalink

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 06:51 am   Permalink

Haha, it's Toni! Hank, that would make a great T-shirt!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 07:21 am   Permalink

Nice job.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation