FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mai Kai - Tiki Archeology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mai Kai - Tiki Archeology
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-03 6:18 pm   Permalink

I did a little Mai Kai matchbook archeology.

Here is an early version with a simple rendering on the cover. Looks like a typo on Hiway.

The three cannibals.

And the back of the matchbook with a simple explanation of "Mai Kai".

The next version has a much more detailed rendering with the sign and the covered hut area.

The cannibals.

The back of the matchbook now advertises Cantonese Cuisine and Tropical Drinks. The drink of the house is the Derby Daiquiri.

(pic from Swanky on Ooga Mooga)

The last matchbook I have has the same front as above, and the back now includes Tahitian Shows and the house specialty is the Mystery Bowl.

(Ooga Mooga pic)

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-04 3:52 pm   Permalink

You know, with this one all blown up big like that, it strikes me that this drawing cleaned up plus the text would make for a really nice framed wall hanging.

Quote:

On 2011-02-03 18:18, Dustycajun wrote:

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-05 04:22 am   Permalink

Rob,
"it strikes you"
Don't forget to close cover be for striking.

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-05 07:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-04 15:52, GatorRob wrote:
You know, with this one all blown up big like that, it strikes me that this drawing cleaned up plus the text would make for a really nice framed wall hanging.

Here you go Rob. All cleaned up.

or this. Sorry about the derail.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2011-02-05 08:03 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-06 4:09 pm   Permalink

Nice! Okay then, where's the ready-to-frame print?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-06 4:50 pm   Permalink

I took the cleaned-up digital scan of the Mai Kai matchbook cover that Trav posted to the local CVS Pharmacy do-it-yourself photo center and got a perfect 5x7 print suitable for framing...

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-17 09:17 am   Permalink

Here is a bit of computer archeology about both the Mystery Bowl and the Mystery Girl. First is a small mention of the Mystery Bowl in a newspaper piece from 1959.

Here a mention of Myna Weber being picked as the new Mystery Girl from 1958.

A description of the ceremony surrounding the "Surprise Drink" from 1958. This obviously has to be the Mystery Bowl. Good stuff.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-17 10:15 am   Permalink

Excellent, I love it when Tiki ceramics get dates found for them! So WHERE is that Esquire article that shows that "whimsical" collage of their mascot "Esky" with the Mai Kai bowl!?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-17 10:39 am   Permalink

There were 2 articles on the Mai-Kai in 1959 in Esquire. I posted the Derby Daiquiri HERE and just got the other one mentioned in this posting and will add it soon.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-17 7:01 pm   Permalink

The November 1959 Esquire article about the Mai-Kai

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-03 11:21 am   Permalink

I'm soooo excited to have the opportunity to make it back to Mecca...er, um...The Mai-Kai next week!!!!
Coincidentally, here are a few recent "in the wild" finds.
Has anyone ever seen the wooden swizzle with the 3 cannibals on it?? (I love that it's fruit-stained towards the tip!)

FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 09:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-03 11:21, JONPAUL wrote:
I'm soooo excited to have the opportunity to make it back to Mecca...er, um...The Mai-Kai next week!!!!
Coincidentally, here are a few recent "in the wild" finds.
Has anyone ever seen the wooden swizzle with the 3 cannibals on it?? (I love that it's fruit-stained towards the tip!)

Nope. Not seen that pick and not seen that Derby Daiquiri coaster. I need to pay more attention as I have seen that one and thought it was the blue one I already had!

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 1:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

There is some debate at the Mai Kai on that being a swizzle/garnish pick....

Someone in the kitchen said it was a Steak/Meat Marker used to mark special orders. If that's the case, it wouldn't be fruit stained it would be meat stained.

Marker... Garnish pick... Either way its still cool as hell and I wish I had a couple of them.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-06 13:36, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

There is some debate at the Mai Kai on that being a swizzle/garnish pick....

Someone in the kitchen said it was a Steak/Meat Marker used to mark special orders. If that's the case, it wouldn't be fruit stained it would be meat stained.

That's debatable too....after all, Tiki/Polynesian cuisine always came heavily garnished too,sometimes with maraschino cherries and pineapple.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-15 06:46 am   Permalink

It was nice to go to the Mai Kai on Sunday. Rarely do you get an opportunity to walk through the restaurant with the lights on and doors open. They set up a nice display on the stage which gave me some personal satisfaction. I heard someone ask if they had prints of the painting and couldn't help but feel that was a fantastic idea. That place truly is a treasure.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation