[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hawaiian boy with uke velvet painting
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Hawaiian boy with uke velvet painting
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 6:43 pm   Permalink

p.s. There are also Eric Ascew, velvets.

(Whom I had the pleasure of chauffeuring to the Copro Nason Leeteg Tribute show a while back.)

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. Zombie Village SF, TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Ti

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-11 7:08 pm   Permalink

If you read "Rascals In Paradise" by James Michener under the chapter "Leeteg The Legend" you will find references to his paintings selling for $5,000.00 in 1954 at the Davis Gallery in Honolulu. It may be possible that the painting by Erwin was selling for $500.00 since he was a "student of Leeteg". According to "Leeteg Of Tahiti" by John Turner, sign painter Bill Erwin claimed to have learned his velvet painting technique while working with Leeteg in Honolulu in 1935.

As far as today's value, I think it just depends on who wants it. That "Hawaiian Beach Boy" was done by Leeteg from a from a photo by Honolulu photographer K.T. Tagawa, who tried to sue for copyright infringement and managed to collect a whopping $1.00 for his trouble. Not sure how many "originals" Leeteg did, but he copied himself several times. Davis Gallery also had affordable copyrighted reproductions available. From an undated catalog: 14X11 Velvetone Masterpieces Hand Painted (Japan) reproductions in Bamboo Frame-$30.00 postpaid.
16X20 color prints on velvet-type paper unframed-$16.00 or $32.00 in Bamboo Frame postpaid.
14X11 Black & White photographic reproductions in Bamboo Frame-$16.00 postpaid.

Erwin must have also made more than one copy of this ukelele kid as I have seen it with the boy in a blue lava-lava instead of red. I think the value for men and kids is much less than the topless or nude maiden. There are other excellent velvet artists whose paintings seem to be actual "one of a kind" originals. Hope that helps.

Formikahini, the signature is Lavisse who also copied himself as I have seen one like the pictured painting from the Kahiki, but it had a little less detail.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-11 7:15 pm   Permalink

Yes all of the Kahiki velvets were Lavisse.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 8:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2007-12-11 19:08, bongofury wrote:
If you read "Rascals In Paradise" by James Michener under the chapter "Leeteg The Legend" you will find references to his paintings selling for $5,000.00 in 1954 at the Davis Gallery in Honolulu. It may be possible that the painting by Erwin was selling for $500.00 since he was a "student of Leeteg". According to "Leeteg Of Tahiti" by John Turner, sign painter Bill Erwin claimed to have learned his velvet painting technique while working with Leeteg in Honolulu in 1935.

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 04:28, Formikahini wrote:
And that he made a freakin' killing at that time!! $500 - JEEEEZ!!
A Leeteg, yes, but "Erwin"?
Maybe the buyer knew the full story.

And that, Bongofury, is precisely what I meant!

Good sleuthing, 'Boo and Bongo!

And don't worry, Ben - we won't expect you to be all scholarly-like from now on

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 11:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 20:09, Formikahini wrote:

Good sleuthing, 'Boo and Bongo!

And don't worry, Ben - we won't expect you to be all scholarly-like from now on

I couldn't have said it better! haha, nice work guys! Now Josh Golob has a reference point to work with.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jlgolob

Posted: 2007-12-13 8:29 pm   Permalink

I can't express enough gratitude for your research and help in this matter. I wasn't expecting this much assistance, but yes, now I do have a point of reference with which to work. If anyone finds out anything else about this painting, please don't hesitate to post as I will be checking frequently.

Thank you again,
Josh Golob

View Profile of jlgolob Send a personal message to jlgolob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 10:02 pm   Permalink

Without having to use the "Search" button or Google, what Leeteg Velvets are ate the Mai Kai?

Pics?

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. Zombie Village SF, TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Ti

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kalikikaikid

Posted: 2008-01-28 12:52 pm   Permalink

I have a black velvet 19" x 26" Hawaiian beach boy
painting on black velvet signed by Lavisse.
Is Leetag and Lavisse the same or is this pic a fake?

Pics enclosed.

Aloha

img]http://tikiroom.com/img/8467x479e4010.jpg[/img]

View Profile of kalikikaikid Send a personal message to kalikikaikid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-28 2:23 pm   Permalink

Yes, it is fake.
You should throw it away, as it is worth nothing.

Or maybe just send it to me. I can dispose of it for you.

Yes, that's it; send it to me.
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scaramouch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-07 05:33 am   Permalink

Snagged a version of this by Bill Erwin on eBay. It's personally signed to the family he painted it for, and one of the nicer versions of this image I've seen. very happy to have this on the wall of my Tiki Bar.

View Profile of Scaramouch Send a personal message to Scaramouch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation