[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Orlando Tiki Events/Bar Meets
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Orlando Tiki Events/Bar Meets
Tikitackett
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-10 5:22 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

So...I am finally getting back into posting and visiting the TC Boards after a long hiatus.

Has anyone started any sort of structured (monthly, for example) Tiki activities in the Orlando, Florida area? If so, can anyone enlighten me?

If not, anyone else in the Orlando area interested in starting a monthly activity like visiting a bar, trip to the WDW Tiki Room (even though it's depressing), or something?

Mahalo Plenty!
TikiTackett

View Profile of Tikitackett Send a personal message to Tikitackett  Email Tikitackett Goto the website of Tikitackett     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 10:06 am   Permalink

Absolutely! I'm always up for a meeting of the local ohana, especially if it involves rum. We do have a good group of people in the Orlando area, but I wouldn't exactly call us "structured". All it usually takes is someone setting the time and place for a get together and people will come. It would be tough, I think, to have a first-Friday-of-every-month sort of thing work, unless we had a regular spot to meet up. Since there's no Trader Vic's, Tiki Ti's or Mai-Kai's in town, that makes it tough for a tiki group. Waitiki downtown just doesn't cut it. There is Tchoup Chop at Universal. It's good, drinks are pretty good. It's just a bit pricey.

Has anyone tried Jinja Bar & Bistro in Lake Mary? From their ad: "... inventive Asian menu and a bar that will transport you to the tropics with vintage drinks of the 1930s and 1940s". Sounds promising.

Or we could also do the rotating home bar thing, if there's enough interest from everyone. We'd make our home bar available for it.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 10:35 am   Permalink

<<<... inventive Asian menu and a bar that will transport you to the tropics with vintage drinks of the 1930s and 1940s>>>

WHAT?!?

It is your solemn duty to get there asap, you mid-state slackers.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 2:04 pm   Permalink

I thought Jinja went out of business. I was there back in Oct; last I heard tho, they canceled their music, then shut their doors a month later.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-11 5:18 pm   Permalink

Still looking forward to my visit down there in January to St. Pete. Not sure what Pablus and the Bay area ohana are cooking up for the 11th or 12th but I am sure it'll be fun, Rusty Key?

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitackett
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-11 6:26 pm   Permalink

I know it may be "taboo" (lol), but what about the Tambu Lounge at Disney's Polynesian? It's free parking, and the drinks are "reasonably priced".

Just a thought. I have to see if my discount applies to alcohol...

(^_^)
TiKi

View Profile of Tikitackett Send a personal message to Tikitackett  Email Tikitackett Goto the website of Tikitackett     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-12 09:47 am   Permalink

Bummer. Apparently this slacker slacked off for too long. I guess Tim is right. The phone # for Jinja just gets a busy signal all the time and the web site doesn't list a Florida location anymore. Odd since the ad I quoted was in a mailer that I received just last month. I guess they plan those adverts way in advance.

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 18:26, Tikitackett wrote:
I know it may be "taboo" (lol), but what about the Tambu Lounge at Disney's Polynesian? It's free parking, and the drinks are "reasonably priced".

Just a thought. I have to see if my discount applies to alcohol...

If your discount applies to your guests then I'll go anywhere. Seriously, I like Disney. Epcot especially. Spent a minor fortune there over the last 15 years. But as many times as I've walked through the Poly resort, I've never eaten there or seen the luau. I'd be up for dinner and drinks at least. I know TikiBree wanted to get a group of us to the luau sometime.

And by the way, Tikitackett, check your PMs.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Cowboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-12 4:49 pm   Permalink

i am down for meet up this weekend... friday.. Waitiki Downtown... anyone in??? i know they are not the best but its a central local???? whos in

View Profile of Tiki Cowboy Send a personal message to Tiki Cowboy  Email Tiki Cowboy Goto the website of Tiki Cowboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
new2tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-19 8:47 pm   Permalink

OK, this is a month or so behind, but I'm newly (back!) in Orlando, and I'm seriously Jonesing for a Tiki fix. Keep me posted, please! My wife and I spent a little time at Tchoup Chop, and (??)Rick's American Bar(??) or whatever the name of the aviation themed place at the Royal Pacific Hotel at Universal.

Also, the Tambu lounge at the Poly is OK---not as cool since it was rehabbed a few years back, but the drinks (except for the Mai Tai) are decent.

I really can't understand with all the Theme-y places in Orlando why there isn't some sort of Poly palace somewhere. The Mai-Kai thrives in Lauderdale, for cryin' out loud!

Scott

View Profile of new2tiki Send a personal message to new2tiki  Email new2tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 9:08 pm   Permalink

I am totally down for hangin' with tiki Ohana in the area. My wife and I live in Ocala, bout' an hour north of you guys in Orlando. The Polynesian resort in Disney has some pretty good drinks, and the food is good upstairs in the restaurant next to bar. They have some pretty cool tikis as well. Other than that, I have been to Wai Tiki on Wall street, it's OK, but nothing amazing. I mostly hang out in my home bar, and I am currently building a room on the backside of the house which will be all tiki/Hawaiian themed as well as my backyard. I am getting a brand new Basement Kahuna bar built along with some other great tiki art and will definitely have a luau when room is complete. Aaron
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-08 1:36 pm   Permalink

I'll be in Orlando March 19 - 25 (kids = Disney). If anyone is interested in a meet-up at the Polynesian send me a PM!

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
new2tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-13 7:56 pm   Permalink

OK---

GatorRob, and others.....

We're meeting at the Tambu Lounge at the Poly at 7:30 next Thursday, March 20th...Any chance anyone else can make it? Love to meet some other TC'ers.....

Scott

View Profile of new2tiki Send a personal message to new2tiki  Email new2tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-16 4:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-13 19:56, new2tiki wrote:
OK---

GatorRob, and others.....

We're meeting at the Tambu Lounge at the Poly at 7:30 next Thursday, March 20th...Any chance anyone else can make it? Love to meet some other TC'ers.....

Scott

Hi Scott,
Sure wish I could, I'm booked that evening.
Have a wonderful time at the Polynesian and drink a Mai Tai for me:)

Are you coming to Hukilau?

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-16 5:06 pm   Permalink

Thursdays are no good. (Kids and work, you know.) Sorry! Have a great time and look for the little Marquesan brackets that are holding up the various clubs on the wall in the restaurant. They're quite nice and I do covet them.

JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-16 5:08 pm   Permalink

While we're on the subject ... I'll be in Orlando April 30th-May 4th. Not sure which night(s) will be free yet (I have to attend some work things), but would love to meet up with folks at the Polynesian one night. I'll have a better idea of my schedule around April 20th and will let you all know then.
Cheers!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation