[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Looking For Music Recommendations
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Looking For Music Recommendations
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-10 5:56 pm   Permalink

OK, I need some serious help with suggestions for some "tiki" music. Sad to say, I own 2 "tiki" albums, both by Waitiki. I'd like to get some more.

I have to say that I do not care for the slow, quiet stuff. I like upbeat stuff. Drums are very cool. My favorites from these albums are Bwana, Bwana A, Cave of Uldo (my favorite), and Dew Drop Inn.

I'm on Amazon, sampling Drasnin's Voodoo II. Puente Doble is the only song I could tolerate for long. The rest would have me asleep before they ended.
Sampling Les Baxter's Greatest Hits, they wouldn't last long on my player.
Tikiyaki Orchestra was more to my liking, so that CD got ordered.
Amazon didn't have sample of Les Baxter's Ritual Of the Savage.
Sampling Denny's Quiet Village... Hawaiian War Chant and Firecracker and My Little Grass Shack and Quiet Village and Flotsam and Jetsam were all decent, though some of the others were sleepy-time. I'd probably buy that album in order to get some music, though I wouldn't mind hearing about a better album.

I it helps any, I grew up on rock from the 60s and 70s. You know, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin and such, though I will listen to almost anything good, from classical to 80s punk to 90s grunge. I have well over 800 CDs covering many genres. My heart, though, lives with Led Zeppelin, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Yes, The Moody Blues, Black Sabbath, and Reggae. I do love classical-inspired stuff - but it's got to rock. (Beethoven's 5th & 9th, Tchaikovsky's 1812, Wagner Ride Of The Valkyries, Holst's The Planets, Saber Dance by Khachaturian, etc).

So if anyone has any suggestions for some upbeat "tiki" music, I'd love to hear about it.

[ This Message was edited by: Scottes 2007-12-11 11:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Scottes 2007-12-11 11:47 ]

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-10 6:27 pm   Permalink

Aloha Scottes...

Thanx for ordering the CD....it shippped today. Funny, but my taste in music runs much of the same...Classic rock....KISS, Black Sabbath, ZEP Beatles, Cheap Trick.

As for Exotica...Check out Gene Rains Group - Awesome Exotica, sometimes moody, sometimes upbeat. They had 4 records out...ALL out of print, but you can find them...Check out the xtabay blog
http://www.blognow.com.au/XtabaysWorld/70710/

Also, if you can find Rex Kona and his Mandarins - "Wild Orchids" record. Great stuff.

Also - Alex Keack - Surfers Paradise

Pretty obscure, but great stuff.

Another fave of mine is the Blue Hawaiians "Sway" cd, which is more surf in it's instrumentation, but has some really great exotica moments, and if you like drums....you'll love it. Gary from that band played lap steel on my CD....awesome.

Hope that helps

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2007-12-10 18:27 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-10 6:38 pm   Permalink

Hey Scottes

Might not be Exotica, more reggae. Because you listed some of your music likes I have to recommend the soundtrack to 50 First Dates and Tiki Lounge. It's reggae, but I love the 50 First Dates soundtrack, and
D'yer Mak'er on the Lounge rocks!

http://www.amazon.com/50-First-Dates-Various-Artists/dp/B00018D60C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1197339561&sr=1-1

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3338289

Just my 2 cents

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-10 7:14 pm   Permalink

Tikiyaki, thanks for the recommendations! It may take some work but I'll see what I can find.

Bogie, great tunes. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but I will be ordering that Tiki Lounge CD anyway. There's some great bands on that CD, doing songs that I don't recognize at all. And I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in Reggae...

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Carmine Verandah
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-10 7:18 pm   Permalink

I recommend vintage authentic Tahitian music by Terorotua and his Tahitians -- they may do some slower pieces but they're really known for their frenzied percussion.

View Profile of Carmine Verandah Send a personal message to Carmine Verandah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-10 7:36 pm   Permalink

Scottes -

I too, was weaned on 60's and 70's Rock. While I have expanded my repertoire a little bit beyond that genre, I can definitely appreciate where you are coming from (coincidentally, I'm currently trying to recreate my teenage record collection now -- including stuff that I fantasized about then but could never afford on my paper route money).

Unfortunately, most of the Exotica records that you'll find from the 50's and early 60's probably aren't going to trip your trigger -- and if you're limited to what you can find issued on CD it's worse. There are some exceptions, of course (please no flame wars). I would definitely recommend that you check out
Don Tiki. I'd also recommend that you track down the Ultra-lounge classic comp Mondo Exotica. Nothing better as a starter CD to see what you like.

Aloha,

Vic

[ This Message was edited by: vegasvic 2008-04-14 17:48 ]

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 09:50 am   Permalink

I grew up on Heavy rock too, and then I got into surf music, then I got into Hawaiian and Exotica from that.
I dig that Exotica is slow, moody,and sleepy time sounding.
Thats part of the Escapism of it.

I have to say if your not really the Mellow side of Exotic music,
maybe the tiki scene isn't for you.
try going to a Jimmy Buffet concert, maybe the Parrot Heads music will capture your soul.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 10:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 09:50, bigtikidude wrote:
I have to say if your not really the Mellow side of Exotic music,
maybe the tiki scene isn't for you.

You're suggesting that I throw everything tiki away just because I don't like slow music?

Wow. That's fairly ridiculous. Thanks for nothing, Pal.

Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 10:13 am   Permalink

I'm still stunned at just how pathetic your comment is.

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 10:23 am   Permalink

Scottes, I dig the slower stuff! But I do know exactly where you're coming from.

I honestly was way more into Hapa Haole than Exotica when I started my Tiki lifestyle, but eventually, Exotica worked it's way into regular rotation on my record player.

I bet in a couple of years, ya know, when you're older you'll find the slow stuff more appealing. I wish I had more to add suggestionwise, but the stuff already mentioned is great.

I honestly think you're probably in a slight majority in your musical tastes to tell you the truth. Most people of our generation and younger need to be bashed over the head with drums and energy, but I find the appreciation of Exotica to be very much like the appreciation of alcohol (or anything with subtle nuance)in time, your palette demands more, it's always a progression.

Do sound tests the way you do Rum tests, which tempo Exotica number goes best with Demerara etc. etc.

Also, I'm guessing that bigtikidude had his tongue in cheek, jeez I hope he did!

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-12-11 10:26 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 10:57 am   Permalink

Thanks Carl.

Your mention of Hapa Haole makes me wonder if I used the term "Exotica" in error. Perhaps that's too narrow a term and one that I don't understand (yet). And I'm not sure that I can explain what I'm looking for, because I haven't heard very much (or maybe haven't listened hard enough).

But your presence reminded me of something, which you might have a recommendation... Your song with the lap steel guitar makes me realize that I do like that stuff. Any suggestions?

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 11:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 10:11, Scottes wrote:

You're suggesting that I throw everything tiki away just because I don't like slow music?

Wow. That's fairly ridiculous. Thanks for nothing, Pal.

I find it ridiculous that you are into tiki but not Exotica.
but thats just me, maybe there are others out there like you.
I just haven't heard of it before.
maybe its a East Coast thing.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2007-12-11 11:03 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 11:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 11:03, bigtikidude wrote:
I find it ridiculous that you are into tiki but not Exotica.

There's the problem: You can't read.

I said "I do not care for the slow, quiet stuff."

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 11:15 am   Permalink

I guess his tongue wasn't in his cheek, somewhere else I guess.

My song was pretty much in the Hapa Haole style Scottes, not Exotica. That's the Uke and Lap Steel music with Hawaiian words frequently worked into the English lyric. Think "Hukilau" "Sweet Leilani" etc. Great stuff and usually very upbeat!

Listen to Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge for a great cross section of all types of Tiki Lounge Music. Sometimes I listen with a notepad sitting by so I can write down the stuff I like.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 11:17 am   Permalink

Here's the address:

http://www.live365.com/stations/brianeh

DUH! He already suggest that!

He's right!

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-12-11 11:19 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation