FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Looking For Music Recommendations
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Looking For Music Recommendations
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 11:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 11:07, Scottes wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-12-11 11:03, bigtikidude wrote:
I find it ridiculous that you are into tiki but not Exotica.

There's the problem: You can't read.

I said "I do not care for the slow, quiet stuff."

which probably 95 % of Exotica is slow, so I made a bit of an all encompassing statement there, shoot me.

I'm sorry if I am comming off as being rude, I just find it hard to believe that someone could be into tiki and not like slow, mellow quiet Exotica, it just boggles my mind.

do you like Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2007-12-11 11:38 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

do you like Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan?

Not at all, and very little, respectively.

My musical tastes and likes and dislikes are all over the place. Categorizing just gets to be ridiculous. I have 800 CDs categorized into 4 categories, yet I doubt there's a (loose) genere that I don't have. Jazz, country, techno, rap, hip-hop, punk, folk... I have them all.

So it looks like I incorrectly categorized "exotica" as "that stuff all my tiki friends listen to" and I'm probably wrong. So shoot me.

Edit: The word "exotica" has been removed from the title and first post. I just want some good music to go with a Mai Tai and some friends.

[ This Message was edited by: Scottes 2007-12-11 11:48 ]

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 12:49 pm   Permalink

No need to throw stones guys.

Scottes...maybe Surf is more what you're looking for to accompany your mai tai

That being said, I got into surf first, but that led me to exotica. I consider Surf to be the "punk rock" version of exotica.

My theory is this :

After rock n roll came along in the the tail end of the 50's, the garage bands of the world started making their music sound more "Hawaiian" or "Island-y" to accompany the Polynesian Pop craze of the early 60's, and because they couldn't play jazz and sound like Martin Denny, they took that sound and mixed it with their garage rock n roll thing, and "Surf Music" was born.

Try that Blue Hawaiians CD I mentioned, you won't regret it. AND, of course, enjoy your cocktail with The Tikiyaki Orchestra CD as well

I think you will eventually mellow out and grow to like the slower Exotica stuff. If you love Tiki, then Exotica is a natural companion.

Aloha !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 12:49, tikiyaki wrote:
Scottes...maybe Surf is more what you're looking for to accompany your mai tai

When someone says "Surf" I think of The Beach Boys. Please tell me that's not what you mean...

I will certainly check out that stuff you mentioned. I did so, a little, and found enough that I liked to continue. I just have to find some albums on a place where I can listen to some samples.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 1:07 pm   Permalink

George Cates - Polynesian Percussion

and Kapu by Milt Raskin (the exciting sounds of milt raskin)

i like those two records a lot. info on kapu at
http://www.digitiki.com/music.htm

http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 1:09 pm   Permalink

Don't be dissin' the Beach Boys now!

But no, they're not really "Surf", they're vocal harmony in the surf style.

Dick Dale etc. is classic surf.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 1:20 pm   Permalink

Since you've broadened your requests spectrum, try these:

http://www.crazedmugs.com/

http://www.whollycatsband.com/haolekats.html

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 1:47 pm   Permalink

many correct things have been said. so what if he grew up listening to classic rock records? the fact he’s here now shows that there’s still hope! and what better place to explain things like exotica and surf. to me that’s one of the greta things of the web and especially places like this. wait, there’s only one place like this!

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 1:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 13:47, Kawentzmann wrote:
so what if he grew up listening to classic rock records?

Yeah, so what? There's still hope for me!

vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 2:04 pm   Permalink

On 2007-12-11 12:56, Scottes wrote:
Quote:

When someone says "Surf" I think of The Beach Boys. Please tell me that's not what you mean...

We really mean Instrumental Surf. Think Rock music dripping in reverb, or the Pulp Fiction soundtrack. I also theorize that it is the offspring of the original exotica scene, music that was morphed for 60's teenagers in Southern CA. Maybe not as relaxing (for some) as Hapa Haole-style music, but trust me it mixes with Rum very well

Vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 2:50 pm   Permalink

Scottes, my good friend, I think you may, in the short run, check out some of Don Tiki's music, and in the longer run, you will have to tune into many of the great lounge and exotica broadcasts on internet and Marconi-style radio. Java's Bachelor Pad, Jet Set Planet (always posted on this thread), and this new one from the Lounge King-xcentrica radio - www.theloungeking.com. Listen as much as you can, and when you hear something you like, do your research. It will be fun and entertaining, and connect you to this scene in a different way. I like the Lounge King's show; there is a visual component there that he incorporates into his broadcasts that draws you in and takes you away to his world. Very nice.

Anyway, as you can see, musical tastes are a touchy subject, the source of both rivalries and friendships. No matter what, don't be afraid to be both honest and open minded. Often I find that to mean honest with myself and open minded with others. Go for what you like, but don't be averse to going where someone else's tastes lead you. The worst that can happen is you learn something, even if it's what you don't like, for now.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 4:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 14:50, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Go for what you like, but don't be averse to going where someone else's tastes lead you. The worst that can happen is you learn something, even if it's what you don't like, for now.

No problem here! I once spent 3 months downloading over 6,000 Reggae songs, listened to them, and deleted about 5,500. Of those left, I ran out and got every song on CD that I could find still in print, and then walked around finding every out-of-print CD possible... It took about 10 or 11 months, but I managed to collect one heck of a reggae collection.

In comparison, this tiki music quest should be a cakewalk since I have so much help.

On the way home from work I finally plugged in a collection from a friend, and found myself skipping over many songs that were too slow and boring for me. Until track 8. Glorious track 8. The Karminsky Experience's "Hip Sheik." Luckily, my car stereo goes to 11, and my home stereo even louder. I think I made the quickest Amazon purchase on record. Thanks Jack!

[ This Message was edited by: Scottes 2007-12-11 16:19 ]

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 6:42 pm   Permalink

if you want to find out about Real instrumental surf music,
go here:
www.surfguitar101.com
then click on the forums

Cheers.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-11 8:56 pm   Permalink

Scottes..... uptempo exotic madness from 2 out of print cds (but can be found) "Jungle Exotica" & Jungle Exotica Vol 2" on Strip Records, Germany, Various artists. Also "The Astroglides- Channel Surfing With..." containing the groovy songs: "Meat Cleavage" and "Kabalah Fucker". Not exotica but you might check out "Big Sugar-Heated". This Canadian band started out doing great straight ahead blues but has morphed into something a little different. Some classic rock (a cool cover of BTO's "Let It Ride".....I don't know how Takin Care of Business became such a huge hit for them, I hated that song, ultra lame) and originals.....some reggae too! Aloha

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-11 9:19 pm   Permalink

There are lots of side steps. Surf music, Rock a Billy, Hawaiian pop, and Reggae are among them.

The hardcore music of Tiki is Exotica, i.e. Martin Denny, Les Baxter, et al.

Among contemporary artists that "get it" are Waitiki and Don Tiki.

Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation