FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Looking For Music Recommendations
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Looking For Music Recommendations
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-06 9:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-11 12:49, tikiyaki wrote:

Scottes...maybe Surf is more what you're looking for to accompany your mai tai

Try that Blue Hawaiians CD I mentioned, you won't regret it. AND, of course, enjoy your cocktail with The Tikiyaki Orchestra CD as well

I agree, but like Glenda the good witch said to Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz " It's always best to start at the beginning" so check out The Shadows out of England in the late '50's early '60's.

Besides the usual Dick Dale & The Ventures there are a ton of great modern surf bands and some have a bit of carry over exotica influence. I was just turned on to Crazy Al's band Ape.

Some of my fav surf bands are:
Aqua Velvets
Blue Hawaiians
Blue Stingrays
The Eliminators
Los Straightjackets
Vera-Tones
Pollo Del Mar
Mel-Tones
And my most favorite of all are The Mermen

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 07:51 am   Permalink

I am going to put in my two cents:
Unfortunately, Tiki is a broad term when it comes to music. A lot of what we call Exotica is slow and languid and is adapted from Hollywood versions of Hawaiian, African, south American and Asian music. It is meant to be background music, suitable for cocktale parties and conversation, but not direct listening like you would with some of the prog rock bands you mentioned (YES). However, most of us on this forum are severely addicted to it. Hawaiian music itself is often slow as well, but there is some upbeat stuff. Surf music seems like it might be up your alley. And some of the more modern surf at that. There are modern bands that combine surf with exotica, my favorites being the Tikiyaki orchestra, APE and the martini Kings. For upbeat Hawaiian style music try King Kukulele or the Mai-kai gents.
I am thinking you may like lounge music. That's where you get a lot more of the latin style music which features drums. Jack Costanzo is very upbeat and features a lot of bongos. An album that I consider a lounge classic is the rat pack live in Vegas. This was featured in a sopranos episode where they park a boat across from some guys house they want him to move from, and blast the album at high volume day and night.
I would also reccomend Esquivel.
I also would not advise sparring with people like BigTikiDude on the subject of music. Not only is he a musician, but he is also a DJ and is to be considered an expert when it comes to music (INMHO) and he has imppecable taste.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation