Music Question for Tiki Centralites
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-12 3:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-12 13:03, basilh wrote:

JAMES LAST -
Voodoo Party. Polydor 2371235 (QS) [Germany] {Listed as Stereo}

Good Lord, a JAMES LAST sighting on TC... I LOVE IT!

I, Zombie

p.s. been searching the thrift bins for Voodoo Party... so far the closest I got was an inner sleave (from a different Last album) with a picture of the LP on it...

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-12 4:02 pm   Permalink

A few of our Maikai Gents tunes from "The Wiki Wiki Grog Shop" were mixed into 5.1 by our engineer, Jory Prum at studio.jory.org. He did a great job and hearing that "Hawaiian War Chant" coming from all angles was truly awesome! I would love to hear some more exotica in this format.

-Weird Unc

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-12 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-12 15:27, Hakalugi wrote:
I have a 5.1 setup (with properly placed and matched Paradigm speakers)and I love it. I would definitely purchase any Exotica released in 5.1. I prefer SACD over DVD-A but it's more of a convenience thing as I have an SACD carousel and my DVD-A player only handles one at a time.

As far as most of the 5.1 mixes out there, it's true that many are not that adventurous. The most daring mix of anything mainstream that I have heard is the Who's Tommy. At times it has vocals in the rear speakers and sometimes the whole soundstage is flipped around. With most 5.1 mixes, the performance is typically confined to the front with the main vocals often isolated to the center speaker, rear speakers are maybe used for ambience or occasional effects. Another exception is "Dark Side of the Moon", but I hear that it's still pretty tame compared to the original quad version.

All in all though, I usually won't run my system in 5.1 unless I'm actually going to sit in the sweet spot.

To Me, rock is not the music best suited to 5:1. 4 or 5 piece band....what can you do other than some cool verbs and pans ?

Imagine hearing Esquivel in 5:1 tho....Exotica is the best candidate for it because of the jungle ambience and all the reverb. not to mention, if there is alot of percussion going on, which, in my music is definitely the case, it could be really cool. I have 5-7 tracks of percussion in most cases. Most of it doing polyrhythmic stuff, latin style, where things are ping ponging off one another. I really am curious to see what that would all sound like in surround.

Maybe surround sound needs the right music to make ppeople want to sit in the sweet spot, especially that you can get marijuana legally here in California now

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2007-12-12 18:05 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-12 8:46 pm   Permalink

I'll go along with the Esquivel in 3D sound, but I won't want the pot

A mai tai though....

The Enoch Light, Perrey & Kingsley, Mystic Moods Orchestra, Henry Mancini, Tony Mottola, Free Design, Rod McKuen with the Anita Kerr Singers and the San Sebastian Strings, Bernard Hermann, Hugo Montenegro, the Brass Ring, Claude Denjean & Synthesizer, Urbie Green (doing a version of "The Party") and even Les Baxter with the 101 Strings quad reel to reel recordings are mind blowing.

Someone should transfer these extraordinarily well crafted 3 dimensional mixes to 5.1.

I listened to the Love recording on an Audiophile sytem and have to admit I was impressed. But would I ever want to hear it a second time? Nah. It's a one liner.

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-16 12:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-12 10:28, tabuzak wrote:

re the Blue Sky system;

Would you consider using it as a listening system (i.e. recreational listening)?
Maybe that's the way to go. Buy a studio monitor type 5.1 system for listening?

Jack

It's the ULTIMATE listening system! But it's not cheep. The full setup is about $3000.00 but still cheaper than the Genilec's at about $2500.00 PER SPEAKER!
The Blue Sky system 1 is an ultra flat, studio quality, near field monitor system made for small to medium mixing rooms. ESPN uses them in their live trucks for producing the X games. But if you can afford them, they would make KILLER home thearter speakers! They make a smaller system called the Pro Desk, also used by Lucasfilm.
Hope this helps.
Also, for Tikiaki and Jeff (and anyone else with a 5.1 setup), here is a link to my song "Island Mist" mixed in 5.1 surround.

http://www.mindshaftmusic.com/exotica_project.htm

It's a Dolby AC3 file and WILL NOT PLAY ON MEDIA PLAYER! Play in a DVD player program (like power DVD from Cyberlink) or make a DVD_A from it (using DVD Architect etc.). If your player is new enough, you can just burn it to a DVD ROM and play it just like you would MP3 files.

Tiki Bill.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki bill 2007-12-18 07:21 ]

View Profile of Tiki Bill Send a personal message to Tiki Bill  Email Tiki Bill Goto the website of Tiki Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation