[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki House of Ran Su
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
House of Ran Su
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-12 5:41 pm   Permalink

Picked this up today... Not so Tiki, but I thought it was a great look. Anybody have any information on the House of Ran Su?

It appears it's title is "Vanguard"

Tikisgrl

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-12 6:17 pm   Permalink

I've heard of Sun Ra, but not Ran Su.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 11:59 pm   Permalink

Damn that's cool! The name sounds like they made mid-century modernist Asian decor. Research it, New Yorkers!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-14 12:40 pm   Permalink

cool! I tried finding info on this Ran Su and all I've gotten is other people inquiring who this person is...might be a job for a library search??? unless anyone else has info?

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-14 6:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks for trying to research. I have come up blank too. Is there a library that would actually have reference information on mid century kitch art?

Tikisgrl

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-15 2:21 pm   Permalink

In your dreams...
I would start with digging up 1960s Elmhurst N.Y. Yellow Pages and looking under "Interior Decor" or so. Or trade papers from the period might have had an ad by them. Was Elmhurst a town, or a suburb? The place is the only thing you have to go by, then the name, and an approximate period. This type of Tiki modernism did not flourish until the very late 50s, and was outdated by the mid to late 60s.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-12-15 2:53 pm   Permalink

I did an eBay search on Ran Su and found two Birds - Oriole and Goldfinch for sale in a eBay Store.

Then I stole the pictures!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-12-15 3:45 pm   Permalink

I did a little more Googling and found some other expired auctions. Looks like they made African and Caribbean stuff as well as Asian. I'm not sure if this is helping but I'm going to pretend it is, plus I'm in a posting mood.

Here are some more pictures that I stole.

Oriental Lanterns

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-15 4:13 pm   Permalink

I can see it now: Tiki Modern II - "The Wild World of Ran-Su" !

Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-16 07:48 am   Permalink

I can see how those oriental lanterns would really compliment Vanguard. I also was able to find a bunch of ebay auctions unfortunately none of them had any information. Oh well, unless someone lives in the Queens area the Vanguard may remain a mystery.

Tikisgrl

sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 08:45 am   Permalink

stoked (Tc member ) is bringin the heat back of ran su..
http://cgi.ebay.com/HAWAIIANA-HOUSEWARE-Vintage-Wall-Plaques_W0QQitemZ120264316280QQihZ002QQcategoryZ29460QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have no info about the place but I'm interested in hearing more ( I know its in Queens NY - not sure if its still there)

from the auction for Later use in TC world

[ This Message was edited by: sneakyjack 2008-05-27 13:15 ]

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-27 12:58 pm   Permalink

Elmhurst is the home of the famous "Elmhurst gas Tanks"...giant gas tanks situated right next to the Long Island Expressway, which would rise and fall according to how full they were. It's in Queens.

Cool Tiki Modern art tho'.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 1:02 pm   Permalink

Tres Tiki Modern indeed ....in a super cheapo cheesy way (which I mean as a compliment )
I like their titles:
"Their names are Thor, Explorer, and Vanguard."

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-09 6:23 pm   Permalink

Well, the little Norwegian girl inside me just could not resist these. Here's where they ended up. They're on my sort of miscellaneous wall.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-07-10 9:11 pm   Permalink

Some nice House of Ran Su wall art - These more African than tiki, but still beautiful modernist pieces:

Here's the auction, (not mine), with a buy-it-now, or make-offer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MID-CENTURY-MODERN-ABSTRACT-CUBIST-WALL-ART-eames-era_W0QQitemZ330250383154QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330250383154&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation