[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki House of Ran Su
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
House of Ran Su
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 9:19 pm   Permalink

Gee, that's mighty nice! I wanna see one of those in-store postcards from that place...or find an old catalog.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigRedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-04 08:04 am   Permalink

I found these guys at a thrift store in Omaha yesterday. It is good old "Vanguard" and his brother "The Devil".

View Profile of BigRedTiki Send a personal message to BigRedTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigRedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-04 6:27 pm   Permalink

Not than anyone probably cares, but upon closer inspection, I believe that the title of the horned example opposite "Vanguard" is "She Devil", not "The Devil".

View Profile of BigRedTiki Send a personal message to BigRedTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kamaina Kraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-04 6:46 pm   Permalink

I love all the pieces and will be actively looking for some to add to my bar.

KK

View Profile of Kamaina Kraig Send a personal message to Kamaina Kraig  Email Kamaina Kraig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-04 10:21 pm   Permalink

I love this stuff. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for it.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tinkie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-17 3:28 pm   Permalink

I, also, have a Ran Su piece hanging above my Grundig Majestic console player. I don't know anything about Ran Su but would love to. My parents bought this piece (called 'Bonefish') in 1959 or '60 when they bought their first house.

View Profile of Tiki Tinkie Send a personal message to Tiki Tinkie  Goto the website of Tiki Tinkie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 06:01 am   Permalink

Borrowed pic from a VA shop that states these are from a Palm Springs estate "To The Arbitrator"....$500.00

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rballard9

Posted: 2010-03-24 10:00 am   Permalink

We also have a Ran Su piece. My wife's parents gave it to her a long time ago. Does anyone know about this piece?
Thanks,
-Rich

View Profile of rballard9 Send a personal message to rballard9      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
koko

Posted: 2011-05-18 11:11 am   Permalink

This is what I have found on the now gone House of Ran Su in Elmhurst, Queens, New York. This company did their small part to supply the middle of the last century with Asian and Caribbean-inspired decor, generally in the form of wood cutout wall hangings. RanSu was a local art producer/framing company - really a Mom and Pop shop - somewhere near the IRT station at 90th street. Long gone as that neighborhood has gone thru a major alteration in the 60 years since that time.

View Profile of koko Send a personal message to koko      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-18 11:41 am   Permalink

Wonder if they ever made a catalog...if so, probably just hand-xeroxed sheets.

I love that some of these here are inherited from the previous generation.

I also wonder if the owners were named Randolph and Susan...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-20 06:47 am   Permalink

Here are some House of Ran Su work that's a lil' bit Caribbean and a lil'
bit rock 'n' roll with a nice cubist look to the faces. I like that the artwork states on back that it is "guaranteed hand colored" but I guess silkscreen is done by hand. Let me know if anyone might be interested in them.

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jmh191111

Posted: 2011-06-07 1:15 pm   Permalink

I also have 3 pieces from Ran Su. They were my grandparents and now they belong to me.

View Profile of jmh191111 Send a personal message to jmh191111      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RanWiz

Posted: 2013-02-24 04:32 am   Permalink

We have two RanSu pieces - one acquired at a yard sale a few years ago [birds] but the other: the african mask heads was purchased AT the RanSu studio in Elmhurst, NY (part of flushing - somewhere near 90th st and the #7 Subway Line). That's near where we lived when I was very little. My folks had constructed an african themed playroom, and this piece was part of that decor. Now, 50 years later, we have "Zanzibar" our african themed guest room, which is designed around this work of art.
I understand that the artist(s) are no longer living, and that the studio ended production decades ago.
The value of the art is problematic - not high enough to buy/sell and profit from, but not low enough to just go on and collect for the heck (and beauty) of it. My daughter, the interior designer, has also found two through the years...and we'd love to find more. Email me if you have one to sell, but we can't pay anything like 'collector' prices. If you are anywhere from DC to BOSTON we may come pick up rather than add to the expense by shipping.
===
RanWiz {at} aol -or- yahoo {dot} com.
===

===

View Profile of RanWiz Send a personal message to RanWiz  Email RanWiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-24 10:03 am   Permalink

Wow: This page shows that the appreciation for Ran-Su more than any other mid-century "exotic" art seems to have been handed down through the generations. Very cool.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation