FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki How to destroy beautiful and valuable funitre
How to destroy beautiful and valuable funitre
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 3:09 pm   Permalink

I saw this set at the local thrift store for $100 the other day, blue enamel paint and what can only be descrbed as vomit-print covers, the guy told me that it was delivered by the original owner that bought it in the fifties and had "done-her-up" a couple of years back... ouch!

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 3:48 pm   Permalink

I think I'm going to be sick.

But that could be stripped down and restained.

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2007-12-13 15:49 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 3:51 pm   Permalink

Go ahead and throw up on those pillows, Unkle John; no one will notice.....

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 4:39 pm   Permalink

wow that is a 80's nightmare

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 5:39 pm   Permalink

They would go nicely in a "tiki" den surrounded by a few painted "clown" revisionist tikis and mugs from Party City.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 6:19 pm   Permalink

Did you buy the set, anyway?

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 6:33 pm   Permalink

no i left it behind, the cane tends to soak up the oil based paints and i sure as hell couldn't live with it like that... i did stop and look back at it though..then walked to the car.. sobbing..

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BonefishBob

Posted: 2007-12-14 8:45 pm   Permalink

Wow, I have a six piece set of the same vintage rattan. Fortunately the only refurb was a recovering of the cushions sometime in the early 60ties with a cool reddish, orange Naugahyde vinyl. I know it sounds weird but it works. What is interesting is that the back of these pieces have a very nice cane weave. Really sets them off on the lanai. Pity these were put to such a shameful non period redo. Afraid it would take more work than it would be worth to strip them. Reminds me of way too many other refinishing jobs I've seen were the priceless patina was striped and then poly coated over to give it a new look.

View Profile of BonefishBob Send a personal message to BonefishBob  Email BonefishBob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-17 4:26 pm   Permalink

I've heard there are places that do a "dip" for a fee. It's some kind of chemical that strips paint off of wood or rattan, I need to look into it as i have a beautiful machine age/deco rattan desk, chair and round table that someone painted poo brown in the 70's. There's always the labor intensive citrusstrip method

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-17 5:02 pm   Permalink

that set is PAUL FRANKL, if there is a way to save it you must try.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-17 5:47 pm   Permalink

Yeah I have a nice set of Paul Frankl, needs upholstery though. I'm sure the set at top of thread is long gone by now.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-17 6:31 pm   Permalink

I also got a set about a year ago with 2 two seaters and 2 single seats for $200.. so i really dont have room for another set though i would have bought em if they were not..errr..defaced.....
heres my other ones:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=23139&forum=5

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-17 6:55 pm   Permalink

" The more Bands of Rattan"............$$$$$$! 6 is muey bueno!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-05 07:38 am   Permalink

repaint it? Okay, not as cool as normal bamboo, but paint the cane in a bamboo/beige colour, and retrim it in Hawaiian print, it would still be cool, and cheap

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-05 1:20 pm   Permalink

That's a good solution, Hewey! Now, what the shipping to California?

heh heh heh...

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation