FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Heather Watts - Pg9 - Oasis Velvet Mini-Preview (more to come)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Heather Watts - Pg9 - Oasis Velvet Mini-Preview (more to come)
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 4:40 pm   Permalink

I got typing a reply in the marketplace thread and realized this post would be better suited for here. I've been meaning for a while to start up a new thread to show my work, something I can keep updating and adding to as my work develops over the next year.

There is something so magical and mysterious about automatons that for me they are a good fit with tiki. They have such an old-timey vintage quality which, as an artist, I find really fun to play with. I hope that the automaton imagery is a compliment to the overall exotic atmosphere of the painting. What I've tried to do is convey a "feeling" of tiki, a sort of nostalgia mixed with exoticism and a little bit of mischief.

Really I couldn't think of a better painting to start this thread with, because this was my first real leap back into tiki art after my non-tiki solo show in May 2007. The initial idea for on this painting was conceived of in May, but I painted this in the last weeks of August, just after tiki Oasis. It was painted (in acrylic on panel) specifically for the cover of Tiki Magazine and has been shrunk for the cover from it's original size of 11" x 14."

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2008-11-28 20:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2008-12-01 18:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2008-12-14 20:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2008-12-23 12:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-04-09 00:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-04-18 22:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: travellin' tiki 2009-04-19 08:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-04-30 00:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-06-15 16:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-06-15 16:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-06-23 21:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-07-14 22:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-07-16 13:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-09-14 20:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: travellin' tiki 2010-07-01 23:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2010-08-16 19:06 ]

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-13 8:16 pm   Permalink

Heather I absolutely LOVE it!!! Just awesome, and I am quite partial to monkeys wearing a fez. PM coming your way.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 8:57 pm   Permalink

I Love All Of Your Art Work! Thank You!

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-13 8:59 pm   Permalink

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

[ This Message was edited by: GO TIKI 2007-12-13 21:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: GO TIKI 2007-12-13 21:02 ]

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-15 9:21 pm   Permalink

Very cool stuff...Love the artwork you do....looks very cool on the cover of tiki magazine!!!

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-16 11:04 pm   Permalink

Another magical piece. I really like the new velvet work you're doing as well- lush and mysterious.

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-26 6:55 pm   Permalink

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here. I've actually been up to a lot of new tiki stuff, but some of it is under wraps for the moment... and some will be on my website soon! That's all I can say for now. I'll have a few velvet pieces in the Harold Golen Gallery's upcoming show "Fine Art Tiki" on during Hukilau. But here's one of my new favorites that went to a friend at the M Modern Gallery's 5th Anniversary Tiki show. It's called "The Mask" Acrylic on Panel.

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-26 9:50 pm   Permalink

Wow Heather, nice work, love the golden-glow-from-below...

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-26 10:25 pm   Permalink

Really dig the new velvet stuff, looking forward to seeing more of your work

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-26 11:33 pm   Permalink

Right on, one of my new faves is "Up Lava River". Glad you're doing velvets.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-26 11:40 pm   Permalink

GROG hope you are coming to Tiki Oasis in San Diego and that you are bringing some black velvet paintings. GROG saw the one at M Modern and it looked great. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 12:15 am   Permalink

Lucky bifachu!
At least he lives closeby so i can visit him and admire it for hours!
Seeing Heather's paintings online are nothing compared to
seeing them in person!
The velvets at the bali hai tikiMag show and the mModern
just oozed with mood and mystery!
Way to go!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 08:49 am   Permalink

Heather love your velvets! Your style of art really seems to be enhanced when used on velvet. I tried to contact you on myspace also, but that was awhile ago. Keep em coming is all I can say.

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-15 2:54 pm   Permalink

Here's another new one, I also posted it on the Portland Velvet Museum thread (Velveteria) since that's where it will hang! It's called "The Drummer" and was very much inspired by my piece "Up Lava River."

I'm bringing a bunch of velvets to Oasis this year, but more on that later!

Oh, and Kahu--I was off myspace for about two and a half-ish months this spring. I'm back on and going through my backlog of messages, so I should come across it at some point. Sorry about that!
http://www.myspace.com/heatherwattsarts

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-15 4:41 pm   Permalink

I love that one! Great colors and lighting!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation