FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Heather Watts - Pg9 - Oasis Velvet Mini-Preview (more to come)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Heather Watts - Pg9 - Oasis Velvet Mini-Preview (more to come)
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-04 11:03 pm   Permalink

There was a Pirate Arrt Show here in Vancouver called "Lowbrow on the Highseas" on Sept. 19th. It was a pretty cool show with some great local talent. Here's the Ad for it:

Keep an eye out down South as I think this Show might be coming to Washington and Oregon in Nov or December. The theme really kept to the Pirate idea and Lowbrow Art so it made for a cool show with a lot of nice pieces.

We knew Heather had a piece in the show and had talked with her before and decided to meet up. Well, Heather wasn't there when we first got inside but as soon as we went in, we quickly scanned all the different pieces and we both knew we couldn't turn this one down:

This one above is of my fiance, Heather and myself after the show.

The pictures don't do this justice (Especially mine!)! The colors are so bright and the image is so sharp. Heather does a great job on velvet and really stirs up a mysterious and vintage looking image.

For now it's hanging in the living room above the non-tiki bar awaiting it's arrival in our soon to be done lounge. I thought I would share this here to show another example of her truly great work!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-04 11:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-22 12:21, Travellin' Tiki wrote:
Here's a new one I did (post-oasis) for the Planet Rooth Show Tiki Magazine sponsored. Wish I could have been there!

It's called "The Birdman's Canoe"

By the way: Thank you SO much to everyone who came out at Oasis and supported me! You've all helped to inspire this piece and many future ones. Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2008-09-22 12:44 ]

I saw this one at the Planet Rooth show in person. It's a-freaking-mazing. Heather - you rock my world!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-28 8:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks again for all the great comments guys! I'm sorry I don't have more time to be on here but I've seriously painted about 50 hours this week--and it's only Friday! A precious few of the fruits of my labour will be at the Tonga Hut next week, though I can't make it personally... (Everyone who can make it has to drink a Mai Tai for me, and that's an order!) I'll post some more stuff on that thread later: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30432&forum=17&33
Looks like it's going to be a great event! All hail GROG!

Okay! And now for something completely different...

Thanks to the inspiration of Ocea Otica & Maid Marion and all their insightful thoughts on the third dimension of art, I've finally undertaken my first little sculpting project--and I do mean little.

I'm hand pressing a limited run of 50 pendants in a mold I made, and because of the imprecise nature of the medium (Sculpey!) each one is coming out completely different. I guess it's only fitting that each deserves its own custom paint-job & rhinestone eye under a glossy shellac, don't you think? In all honesty I think I'm just obsessed with the idea of "one of a kind" and I hope I've done it justice with these!

I've actually finished making up to #21/50 now, four of which are on their way to none other than the GROG for the Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland. I'm saving one for myself and some as gifts--there will be NO artist proofs... 50 ONLY which really means more like 40 available. Each one is signed "H. Watts" and numbered on the back along with "#1" to indicate that this is my first sculpted pendant--hopefully of many to come!

Since this is my first commercial foray into three dimensions I'm pricing these little guys at $10 a piece. If you can't make it to the Tonga Hut (or if you get there late!) I'll be putting some of these up for sale online in December and I'll notify you here. Or if you're in Vancouver you can pick one up at the JEM gallery (225 E. Broadway) where my art is on display as part of the "Naughty not Nice" show until December 14.

If you own a store or are hosting an event and want to grab a few at wholesale, PM me with your email address & info.

Okay, I have tons of new velvet work I need to post, but painting calls. Yes, this is the glamorous life of the artist on a Friday night... I have deadlines people! Deadlines! But if you managed to read this novel of a post to the end, one day you'll be able to say: I remember the debut of Heather Watts' first three dimensional tiki! As long as you don't follow those words with "It sucked!" I'll be happy.

Heather

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 6:49 pm   Permalink

Hey Everyone,

This is Mike here, Heather's other half. I'm just posting some more of Heather's velvet pieces. She has been super busy with deadlines and hasn't had a chance to get on the forums much in a while so I thought I'd pick up the slack for her

Most of these velvets found homes at Tiki Oasis this past August. The others found them at various group shows over the past few months.

I also noticed that TabooDan posted a few pictures of his recent acquisition "Sea of Gold", thanks for that Dan! Hanging above the "non-tiki bar," it almost looks like the pirate is eying up your rum! I wouldn't leave him alone with that...lol!

While we're on the topic of pictures, Heather and I would like to see more photos of her various creatures out there. So if you happen to be fortunate enough to own one of these colorful creations we'd love to see them! If you don't want to post them here send us a PM or email us at
contact@heatherwatts.com .

If you are not on her velvet e-mail list and would like to be, please private message us and we'll be more than happy to add you. If you're on the list already you can expect an email with new paintings finally available in a few weeks!

Enjoy!

Mike (and Heather)

"The Flower Canoe"
12" x 16"
SOLD

"Sea of Gold"
10" x 13"
SOLD

"Two-Headed Headhunter"
8" x 10"
SOLD

"Skeletiki"
10" x 13"
SOLD

"God of the Grotto"
6" x 8"
SOLD

"Tiki Idol"
6" x 8"
SOLD

"Sun and Moon"
8" x 10"
NOT FOR SALE

"Maori Inspired Tiki"
5" x 7"
SOLD

"Papuan Explorers"
11" x 19"
SOLD

"Trader's Mask"
5" x 7"
SOLD

"Nocturnal Tiki"
5" x 7"
SOLD

"The Emerald Canoe"
9" x 20"
SOLD

"Afternoon Paddle"
8" x 10"
SOLD

More to come......

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2008-12-11 13:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2008-12-11 13:54 ]

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 7:14 pm   Permalink

Wow! That art is beyond words, The least I can say is Very Awesome! Thank You!

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 12:20 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting these pics, I've seen some on other posts, some in real life but it's great to see them altogether.

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-03 10:29 am   Permalink

Beautiful velvet work, Heather. By the time I got to your stand at Oasis, you had pretty much sold out. Congrats!

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ramba-zamba
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-11 08:29 am   Permalink

wow these are really cool, my favorite is "God of the Grotto" awesome color!!

View Profile of ramba-zamba Send a personal message to ramba-zamba  Email ramba-zamba Goto the website of ramba-zamba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-11 08:39 am   Permalink

Dang Heather! So many Grand paintings!
There really is a sense of mood and prescence in your work..
Whenever i stand in front of a Watts piece
i get that feeling that I'm standing in front of something
Magnificent and Awesome...
Art in the truest sense of the word...
Glad you're able to paint so much!
Flower Canoe leaves me speechless!
YAY!for DAWN!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-12 05:33 am   Permalink

Very nice stuff, I like the diversity you're adding. Excellent lighting/color.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-14 8:44 pm   Permalink

As always, thanks for the nice comments guys!!!
LLT--could there be a trade in our future?

I posted the $10 necklaces to the marketplace thread yesterday.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30699&forum=12&1
There are a handful left so PM me if you're interested.
Here's a pic of #s 25-30 which are the last batch I made.

Here's two other new velvets! These were at my show at the JEM Gallery in Vancouver last month and are some of the smallest I've ever done at 4" x 6". I have some larger ones that are going to be available for sale this week. If you'd like to be notified, you can sign up for my Velvet Email Updates List here:
http://www.heatherwatts.com/index.php?page_id=412

"Lil' Demon"
Acrylic on Velvet with Rhinestones
4" x 6"
SOLD

"Lil' Tiki"
Acrylic on Velvet with Rhinestones
4" x 6"
SOLD

davidleslie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-15 09:05 am   Permalink

Heather! Your work is simply amazing!....as always! I am glad you are so busy as the ultimate Tiki Art Goddess! Wow

your tiki fan

dave

View Profile of davidleslie Send a personal message to davidleslie  Email davidleslie Goto the website of davidleslie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 10:23 pm   Permalink

Guess I can post this here now! From the super-price-slasher online tiki art show
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?forum=12&topic=30642

tiki vandalism on a vintage copy of Thor Heyerdahl's Kon Tiki:

BEFORE

AFTER

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-16 08:13 am   Permalink

YOU CAN VANDALIZE MY WHOLE LIBRARY,DAWN!
Stellar piece!
half the joy of being an artist
is the power of transformation...
finding little objects
that may or may not mean anything at the time
until the artist's eye sees it anew
and changes it into an object with
both the mystery of it's original function
and it's newly acquired power and meaning!
Bravo Heather!
You is good.

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-16 10:23 am   Permalink

Heather, I haven't been to your pages in forever and holy cow what I've been missing is incredible stuff! I Absolutely love your Velvet series and Especially the Canoe bunch. Just, WOW!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation