FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Which Exotica LP is most valuable?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Which Exotica LP is most valuable?
ThreeTikis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-20 12:14 pm   Permalink

I got to wondering about my record collection’s value – Not that I would ever part with any. So I have a question for all you experts out there:

Which Exotica vinyl LP’s are considered to be the most rare and/or most valuable? And how much do you believe them to be worth?

I know that condition is a major factor in worth.

Brady

View Profile of ThreeTikis Send a personal message to ThreeTikis  Email ThreeTikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 12:17 pm   Permalink

I am going to guess "Polynesian Fantasy" by the Out-Islanders.

Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 1:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-20 12:17, tabuzak wrote:

I am going to guess "Polynesian Fantasy" by the Out-Islanders.

Jack

Especially in stereo!!

I would also have to say the Paul Conrad album "Exotic Paradise" on Mahalo Records. This one is also pretty rare. Always goes for $100 or more in top condition.

Also ALL the albums by Paul Page seem to be impossible to find. $80+ on eBay

Here is one I have NEVER seen in stereo Jimmy Namaro's "Driftwood." This would fetch a pretty penny I'm sure.

I'm sure there are others.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 1:27 pm   Permalink

I won a copy of Polynsian Fantasy on Ebay a couple of years back (probably NOT stereo). It looked fine when I pulled it out of the sleeve but my jaw dropped as I watched it separate into two pieces on my turntable. Must have had a hairline crack in it. I confess to using a substitute CDr burn that I traded for with another collector. BUT! That's only until I get a real copy of my own!

I did manage to land a copy of the Conrad LP which I consider a puzzle. It may be hard to find, but it's disappointing musically.

I remember paying $100 for les Baxter's "Sacred Idol" at Footlight Records a looong time ago. But I think a lot of these can be picked up for a lot less these days. Prices dropped when the "lounge" craze lost it's footing.

This is probably a good time to be buying Exotica vinyl. A lot of it has been dug up and the prices have dropped after supply surpassed demand.

-Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 1:28 pm   Permalink

Taboo 1/2

I have the only copy. It's really good. Martin Denny plays tuba on it.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 2:18 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 7:27 pm   Permalink

what about the Original cover of Forbidden Island by Martin Denny?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 8:53 pm   Permalink

The Tiki Gardens lp tends to sell in the $300-$500 range whenever it comes up on eBay.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 9:33 pm   Permalink

It looks like a fair number of Exotica lps still bring strong prices on eBay. Here's a list of the top sellers in the last 30 days:

http://data.terapeak.com/?query=exotica&siteID=0&id=306&date_range=ThirtyDays&date=2007-07-05&

Agreed, some of these are "Space" Exotica, but there are still quite a few Polynesian ones on the list.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 9:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-20 13:27, tabuzak wrote:

I remember paying $100 for les Baxter's "Sacred Idol" at Footlight Records a looong time ago. But I think a lot of these can be picked up for a lot less these days. Prices dropped when the "lounge" craze lost it's footing.

-Jack

I remember when Tiki was just becoming collectible and eBay wasn't around yet, a copy of Martin Denny's "Exotica" #1 would sell for $100 in a record-store. Ebay helped to show that a lot of Exotica records weren't nearly as rare as we thought they were.

Sabu

Carmine Verandah
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-20 9:58 pm   Permalink

Value is in the heart of the beholder, dear sir.

La Verandah paid $4.99 each for mint copies of Arthur Lyman's "Taboo" and Martin Denny's "Quiet Village" at her local used vinyl emporium. Less than $20 for the first "Adventures in Paradise" compilation and about that much for an early Coral Records collection of Yma Sumac with a Peruvian folk musicians' accompaniment via Ebay.

You couldn't get her to part with 'em with a live cattle prod.

View Profile of Carmine Verandah Send a personal message to Carmine Verandah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 11:10 pm   Permalink

Exactly. We didn't have true thrift stores in Manhattan. I worked a few blocks form "Golden Oldies" on Carmine Street in the late 80s and I wanted "Havanah 3 am" so bad I paid $50 for it. Denny and Baxter albums could be had but for minimum $30 each. Yep, Colony was selling beat up copies of "Exotica" for $100. I bought a mono copy of Fantastica at Footlight Records for $75.

Buying from dealers like Jack Diamond or Preston Peek was actually saving me money in comparison. Then came the WFMU record fair. Now Ebay.

Hitting places out of town, like Jerry's in Pittsburgh, was like finding paradise lost. New York City is not a great place to shop for records. The west coast had us beat hands down.

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 02:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-20 21:33, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
It looks like a fair number of Exotica lps still bring strong prices on eBay. Here's a list of the top sellers in the last 30 days:

http://data.terapeak.com/?query=exotica&siteID=0&id=306&date_range=ThirtyDays&date=2007-07-05&

Agreed, some of these are "Space" Exotica, but there are still quite a few Polynesian ones on the list.

Sabu

Sabu, thanks for posting that link to terapeak.com. Amazing!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 03:53 am   Permalink

Nobody's mentioned "White Goddess" by Frank Hunter, which seems to go for $80-100.

View Profile of Quiet Village Idiot Send a personal message to Quiet Village Idiot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 04:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-20 19:27, bigtikidude wrote:
what about the Original cover of Forbidden Island by Martin Denny?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

So which is the original cover?

View Profile of Quiet Village Idiot Send a personal message to Quiet Village Idiot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation