FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Which Exotica LP is most valuable?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Which Exotica LP is most valuable?
ThreeTikis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-01 6:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-28 09:06, suzanne wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-06-30 21:02, nibblegribitz wrote:
"The Hawaiian Room" - George Hines & Johnny Coco
That's my father, George on that album.
He made it when he was playing at the Hotel Lexington in New York. I think it was mid fifties.

This is awesome. I really love that album.

By the way, this topic is fascinating.

Suzanne

[ This Message was edited by: suzanne 2008-08-28 09:08 ]

I agree with Suzanne that this topic is fascinating. I also really love the personal stories the friends and relatives of some of the music makers. I am also amazed at the volume of recordings that I have never even heard (but would love to). Thanks to all the contributers to this topic. Wonderful reading.

Brady

View Profile of ThreeTikis Send a personal message to ThreeTikis  Email ThreeTikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-29 12:24 am   Permalink

Can anyone explain the current craze with the Paul Page albums?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270404898540&category=306

They seem to be selling in the $70-$125 range lately.

They still seem to be fairly common at garage sales (at least out here in California), and to my ears they're more Hapa Haole then Exotica.

A few years ago they were selling for $5 on eBay. Can anyone explain the current rise in popularity among collectors?

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-29 10:57 am   Permalink

I can't concur here. And I didn't think they were that common... In 2007 Jeff Central had this to say about it:

Quote:

On 2007-05-13 03:54, Jeff Central wrote:
I have never seen a picture of ALL three cover variations before. Very nice!
Who has the elusive 4th cover? And while I'm at it who has one for sale? This album is extremely difficult to find in ANY version.

I guess Ohio is far away from Southern California, where Page plied his trade. I sure hope Jeff owns one by now The album in question and its four restaurant-specific versions:

Though Paul has put out about 4 other obscure albums, such as this:

...the Ports of call/Castaway/Reef one above is his best effort, where almost every song is a gem. He indeed is an heir to Blanding in terms of pure corny schmalz, but it is not the cliched texts that make his music so endearing to me, it's his theatrical recital of them, mostly done in a deep speaking voice, not sung, as if Johnny Cash or Criswell are singing Aloha-eh. Some of the tracks on the album are more chorus-heavy, but who can resist such clear and simple invitations such as "Let's have Luau, a Luau, a Luau, with lots of Fish and Poi!"

Just like Eden Ahbez is the missing link between the Lounge and the Hippie generation, between Sinatra and Jefferson Airplane, so Paul Page is the link between Hapa Haole and Exotica. Though his style IS pre-Tiki Hapa Haole, he adapted it and added bird sounds (mostly seagulls) and exotic percussion instruments to his slide guitar sound.

And like Eden Ahbez, he put in words some of the basic themes of Polynesian pop. The naive charme of America's love affair with Polynesia oozes out of this record.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-30 11:07 am   Permalink

I vote the LP by The Tropicales as the most valuable/rare exotica LP. If anyone has it please PM me. The personnel are: Augie Colon, Bill Among & his twin brother, and Clem Low. I spent the whole summer looking for this damn thing.

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-30 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-30 11:07, professahhummingflowah wrote:
I vote the LP by The Tropicales as the most valuable/rare exotica LP. If anyone has it please PM me. The personnel are: Augie Colon, Bill Among & his twin brother, and Clem Low. I spent the whole summer looking for this damn thing.

I forgot to add: if you are reading this and you do have it, getting in touch with me via PM will help you become a very good samaritan... and I'm not looking to buy it, so no scalpers please.

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 08:05 am   Permalink

Yeah, those Paul Page albums are extremely difficult to find here in Ohio. I have been searching for a long time and finally secured a "Port's O' Call" LP and "Passport to Paradise." I am still searching for the others.

Your right Sabu, it is more hapa haole than Exotica but they are so much fun to listen to. Plus, the Island-Aires were all top notch musicians that saw a release of their own album. I think more people are catching on that's all.

I will keep an eye out for The Tropicales album which you speak of Randy. It's bound to turn up sometime.

I heard that Clem Low also released an album by the Clem Low Trio. I will be searching for this too!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 08:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-31 08:05, Jeff Central wrote:

I heard that Clem Low also released an album by the Clem Low Trio. I will be searching for this too!!!

Now THAT's "deep down" if you know what I mean. Good luck and happy hunting!

~glen
http://www.kfai.org/jetsetplanet

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 1:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks bigbro and Jeff for the background and analysis of those Paul Page albums. That's what I was hoping for. I've never given them an in-depth listen. I know that some of the DJs play the "Chicken Kona Kaai" track at various events, but there are similar Hapa Haole novelty songs on other old Hawaiian albums and I was equating the two in my mind.

I seem to find the Pieces of Eight and Ports-O-Call lps most frequently out here at garage sales. Never found a "Reef" yet. It must be the rarest. But again, I'm hunting the neighborhoods where folks went to those restaurants quite a bit and probably picked them up as a memento of their evening.

Years ago I saw they weren't selling for much on eBay, so I would pass them by. Lately I've jumped on the bandwagon and have been re-selling them as well.

Thanks,

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-19 2:52 pm   Permalink

Oddly the "Let's Have a Luau" version of the cover, aka generic version of the cover is not mentioned here?

I thought it was the most common. I thought because he might have only done one-year stints at the restaurants that are named in the other four version titles that the "Luau" cover might have been in print longer than the others?

Nonetheless, all of this and much much more will be released on Subliminal Sounds out of Sweden in mid 2018 with liner notes by Paul Page expert Domenic Priore and with the assistance of Paul's daughter. Included will be "Passport to Paradise" and the below mentioned Blanding Record as well as the Alaska ep, Christmas ep, and other unknown recordings
https://us.napster.com/artist/paul-page/album/lets-have-a-luau

And look for a live tribute to Paul Page at Tiki Oasis 2018 Aug 8 - Aug 12

Quote:

On 2009-08-29 10:57, bigbrotiki wrote:
I can't concur here. And I didn't think they were that common... In 2007 Jeff Central had this to say about it:

Quote:

On 2007-05-13 03:54, Jeff Central wrote:
I have never seen a picture of ALL three cover variations before. Very nice!
Who has the elusive 4th cover? And while I'm at it who has one for sale? This album is extremely difficult to find in ANY version.

I guess Ohio is far away from Southern California, where Page plied his trade. I sure hope Jeff owns one by now :) The album in question and its four restaurant-specific versions:

Though Paul has put out about 4 other obscure albums, such as this:

...the Ports of call/Castaway/Reef one above is his best effort, where almost every song is a gem. He indeed is an heir to Blanding in terms of pure corny schmalz, but it is not the cliched texts that make his music so endearing to me, it's his theatrical recital of them, mostly done in a deep speaking voice, not sung, as if Johnny Cash or Criswell are singing Aloha-eh. Some of the tracks on the album are more chorus-heavy, but who can resist such clear and simple invitations such as "Let's have Luau, a Luau, a Luau, with lots of Fish and Poi!"

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-19 10:40 pm   Permalink

As for Paul Page & his inexplicable popularity, this one appears to be quite rare. I think I got mine for $5.00 an a collectors expo.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kaiwaza
"Hawaiian Leisure Hour" Vintage Hawaiian vinyl curated playlists
https://

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation