FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Which Exotica LP is most valuable?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Which Exotica LP is most valuable?
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 12:37 pm   Permalink

"Kapu" is a totally great LP, agreed. I have a mono UK pressing with the original art and a later German stereo version titled "Exotic Tahiti" by Milt Rasin (sic) and his Orchestra. The German one has different cover art and the tracks are in a different running order, but otherwise it's the same LP.

I think I heard somewhere that Milt Raskin released some other exotica albums. Can anyone confirm this and/or provide details?

View Profile of Quiet Village Idiot Send a personal message to Quiet Village Idiot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 1:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-01 12:37, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:
I think I heard somewhere that Milt Raskin released some other exotica albums. Can anyone confirm this and/or provide details?

Kapu was also released under the title Exotic Percussion, this is probably what you heard about. As far as I know, this was his only LP. Milt primarily made music for the movie studios. Too bad, as this is one of my favorite records and right up there at the top of the one-hit-wonder list (e.g., artists who produced a single exotica LP).

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 3:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-28 14:11, vegasvic wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-12-24 09:49, OnyaBirri wrote:
Just to be clear, the Forbidden Island cover pictured above is the SECOND cover. The original is the one that was used on the Scamp and Rev-Ola reissues.

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2007-12-24 09:49 ]

Here's the first one (actual front/back scan):

Hey what do you know ? I have the original cover . Was totally unaware they had changed the cover on account of fear of the big tiki - ha ! I remember buying this in a small used record shop in Shibuya , Tokyo around 1992 . I bought FI and Primitiva each for roughly $ 30 .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 4:18 pm   Permalink

Is the stereo version rarer than the mono with original jacket ? Mine is mono but there is one for sale here in Sushiland .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 7:09 pm   Permalink

Both pressings of the record came out in mono and stereo. So, there are mono and stereo graphics for each of the two covers. Not sure which is rarer of the originals; I would guess that more mono LPs were pressed. The mono one certainly sounds a lot better.

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2008-01-01 19:10 ]

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 2:20 pm   Permalink

Off the top of my head here are the Exotica LPs that seem to fetch the most (at least on Ebay) - in no particular order:

"Sophisticated Savage" - Augie Colon (Mono only - there was a rumour that Scamp records was set to release this album paired with Colon's fallow up "Chant of the Jungle" both in Stereo. Now I've never seen the "savage" LP in stereo--ever!)

"Polynesian Fantasy" - The Out Islanders
"Hula-La" - Chick Floyd and his ORchestra
"Little Grass Shack" - Chick Floyd
"Exotic Dreams" - Ethel Azama
"White Goddess" - Frank Hunter & his Orchestra
"Far Across The Sea" - Gene Rains Group
"Driftwood" - Jimmy Namaro (the stereo version is very rare)
"The Hawaiian Room" - George Hines & Johnny Coco
"Hawaii Connie" - Connie Francis (the Japanese CD is out of print and goes for big $$)
"Exotica '90" - Martin Denny CD (Japan only release, long out of print)
"Kapu"- Milt Raskin (also released as "Exotic Percussio" - now available from iTunes)
"Exotic Paradise" - Paul Conrad
"Polynesian Paradise" - Phil Moore and his Orhcestra
"Sondi" - Sondi Sodsai (Stereo copy)
"Fantastica" - Russ Garcia (both LP and Japanese CD fetch a good price)
"Space Escapades" - Les Baxter

I'm sure there are many more, feel free to edit the list

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 2:27 pm   Permalink

Kapu is available in clean digital form on the iTunes music store.

Just go to the store in your iTunes and do a search for Milt Raskin. Crown and Flair records have several differnt versions of the same album. Be sure to listen to them before buying as some sound much cleaner than others.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 2:41 pm   Permalink

With regards to the Ethel Azama record , I guess I was lucky when I won mine on Ebay a few months ago for $ 14.95 . The seller said the record and jacket were near mint . The jacket is , but the record , while visually NM , is VG++/EXC - sonically . When I told the seller that the record was very nice but not near mint as he'd said , he said he hadn't played the record , so refunded my money . Now I did not ASK for a refund ; nor did I threaten him with negative feedback . I was just wondering how he'd come up with the NM grade . Anyway , I ended up getting the LP for nada as it would have cost too much $ to ship back from Japan if we'd gone that route . There are some honest Ebayers out there .

[ This Message was edited by: sushiman 2008-01-04 15:22 ]

vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 3:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-01 13:49, vegasvic wrote:
Kapu was also released under the title Exotic Percussion, this is probably what you heard about. As far as I know, this was his only LP.

I stand somewhat corrected. There are some digital recordings floating around under a few titles; Even More Exotic Percussion being one of them, and Still More being another. As far as I can tell, Milt never released an LP with these titles -- they just appear to be the original Kapu tracks renamed (or they may be out-takes with different names). I believe this is to be mapping:

Original -> Digital
Kapu -> Forbidden
Koko Head ->Pete's Creation
Leahi -> Diamond Head
Maika -> Blue Eyes
Moon Festival -> Chinese Holiday
Mileka -> Orange Gold
Lolani -> Bird of Heaven
Lehua -> Red Blossom
Lanikai -> Heavenly Sea
Telani -> Evening Star

Some of the digital recordings sound a little brighter than what I have, but the original pressing is pretty bad (Crown Records were notorious for using poor quality vinyl, even rumoured to occasionally "cut" it with beach sand), so it might be my copy.

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 4:32 pm   Permalink

The Ethel Azama LP is hard to find in Stereo in good condition. Sounds like you lucked out on that one, especially if its a stereo copy too.

As for the Kapu digital version, yeah ALL of them sound like repackages of the same album. However, there is one called "takes" that seems to only have 4 tracks and they may be outtakes. I haven't A B-ed them closely to find out. However I can say that the Flair Records version of "Kapu" is the cleanest one they have--very prisp.

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-07 7:20 pm   Permalink

Here is the Exotic Percussion cover with the 59 cent price sticker on the shrink wrap. While the cover and vinyl are minty....the surface is as pitted as the moon.....

Thurston Knudsen also has some movie connections...music for the Puppetoon featurette "Hoola Boola" - 1941 and "Call Of The South Seas"- 1944. He also did narration for "Curse Of The Ubangi"-1948!

Augie Goupil, his partner on at least one slab o vinyl was a "specialty dancer" in the 1937 flick-Waikiki Wedding...

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 04:00 am   Permalink

What about John McFarland's "Provocatif"? I've seen that one for in excess of $150. I satisfied myself with a cheapo reissue.

View Profile of Quiet Village Idiot Send a personal message to Quiet Village Idiot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 04:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-04 14:20, Digitiki wrote:

"Sondi" - Sondi Sodsai (Stereo copy)

I was trying to pick up a copy of this on eBay last year and was outbid again and again --- by the same buyer! There was this guy in Bangkok who was apparently collecting every copy of this he could find for any price. He was bidding up to $100 for an album he already owned. Eventually, it looks like he was kicked off eBay and had his account terminated -- but then he turned up again under a new name and continued bidding huge amounts on every copy of "Sondi" that turned up. By this time, I had given up and located a copy from a non-eBay seller for a good deal less.

But I'd still like a mono version of this. The way the vocals continually pan back and forth from speaker to speaker kind of irritates me -- I suspect it would sound more dynamic in mono.

In any case, I totally love her version of Les Baxter's "Love Dance". That is just so cool!

I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 09:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-04 15:56, vegasvic wrote:

Crown Records were notorious for using poor quality vinyl, even rumoured to occasionally "cut" it with beach sand...

You know, I just picked up a Preston Epps LP on Crown, and there are all these bumps or "crowns" in the vinyl. I've seen them before, but this album is the worst. Sand? If you saw this LP, you just might believe that rumor...

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 10:10 am   Permalink

in away...thats kinda surfy, beachy & COOL...just not listening -wise

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation