FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Which Exotica LP is most valuable?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Which Exotica LP is most valuable?
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 3:02 pm   Permalink

A few more scans for your viewing pleasure. First, the original Tropical Fantasy by Michel Magne. Definitely a rarity, plus it has two tracks not contained on the US Columbia release.

Next, one of my absolute all-time favorite exotica records. In fact, track-for-track, I'd put s'Pacifica by Johnny Spencer and the Kona Koasters right up there in my top 10. Hard to get, but if you find it you'll hear what I mean...

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-14 11:20 am   Permalink

You are right on the Provocatif LP, very high $$. Although, it must be pointed out that some of the more collectable LPs are not necessarily the best (artistically). Also, some on my list are definately easier to find than others but still command a pretty penny.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 12:13 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27147&forum=12&0

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BC-Da-Da
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 2:47 pm   Permalink

I was so surprised at Sven's picture and event handbill for Thurston Knudson in "Tiki Modern." I played tracks from a 78RPM set by Knudson on my Luxuria radio show last year. I just assumed it was a pre-exotica novelty record, and the dummy that I am... I failed to do any further research on the man. Now that I've looked him up online, I can see that there are some definite 10" and 12" records that are worth seeking out by Knudson.

[ This Message was edited by: BC-Da-Da 2008-01-29 14:49 ]

View Profile of BC-Da-Da Send a personal message to BC-Da-Da  Email BC-Da-Da     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Helm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-09 08:15 am   Permalink

I just picked up "KAPU" on reel to reel

Never heard it and I am looking forward to it!

View Profile of Matt Helm Send a personal message to Matt Helm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-09 08:28 am   Permalink

You've GOT to burn that reel of Kapu onto CD. It should sound better than a sealed LP.

7 1/2 or 3 3/4?

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Helm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-09 10:02 am   Permalink

7 1/2 4 track

I am just diving in to the world of reel to reel for a little retro fun... I have heard they sound wonderful. I already picked up MD exotica and I am looking for more...

View Profile of Matt Helm Send a personal message to Matt Helm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-09 10:56 am   Permalink

Just make sure the heads are clean, and I would pick up a cheap demagnetizer also.

nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-30 9:02 pm   Permalink

"The Hawaiian Room" - George Hines & Johnny Coco
That's my father, George on that album.
He made it when he was playing at the Hotel Lexington in New York. I think it was mid fifties.

View Profile of nibblegribitz Send a personal message to nibblegribitz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 01:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-30 21:02, nibblegribitz wrote:
He made it when he was playing at the Hotel Lexington in New York. I think it was mid fifties.

Very cool that your Dad was a pro musician and created something " Tiki " related in the process . My Dad was only good at lifting a glass at the bar .

I'd be very interested in hearing this record .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 11:13 pm   Permalink

Another rare copy of the Tiki Gardens lp just sold on eBay for $240.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXOTIC-SOUNDS-OF-TIKI-GARDENS-LP-Exotica-Fantasy-Rare_W0QQitemZ380045513758QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZMKTRSRCH:CLIST:ITQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But the highest price I've now ever seen for an exotica lp is $760 for Les Baxter's personal copy of Martin Denny's "Exotica", signed by Denny, who gives props to Baxter for starting him on his career.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Les-Baxters-Personal-Copy-of-Martin-Dennys-Exotica_W0QQitemZ300249275486QQihZ020QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZMKTRSRCH:CLIST:ITQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"To Les Baxter - Whose imaginative genius helped make this album a success and started me on a career - Martin Denny"

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2008-08-19 23:14 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 05:24 am   Permalink

Yow. I'd stick that one in a custom glass display-case if it was mine! While I don't have 760 clams to shell out for an LP, for THAT one I might've parted with the baby toe on my left foot.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 4:55 pm   Permalink

Here are a few of my current favorites.

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 5:41 pm   Permalink

Tikipaka,
Great collection! Love the Wailin Winnie album. Is that a shark she's holding?!!!!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-28 09:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-30 21:02, nibblegribitz wrote:

This is awesome. I really love that album.

By the way, this topic is fascinating.

Suzanne

[ This Message was edited by: suzanne 2008-08-28 09:08 ]

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation