FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events New York City TC ohana hang? Mr. Ho visiting and wants to !
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
New York City TC ohana hang? Mr. Ho visiting and wants to !
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 12:15 pm   Permalink

Okonkuluku!

Mr. Ho coming down to see his lady in NYC on Monday and will be in town for the week - how about a TC ohana hang between xmas and nys? And i need to meet some NYC folks. We've been meaning to get up to Flushing to...king yum's is it? That old place that supposedly serves goog grog in Approved Containers. But, I'd be up to anything. Whats up NYC ohana? How about

Thursday, 12/27 ?

Ho

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Ho 2007-12-23 10:47 ]

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 1:07 pm   Permalink

Lets plan something for the 27th. We have found a place in midtown, Shun Lee's that has excellent Mai Tais, but I'm up for whatever most people want to do.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 1:51 pm   Permalink

I should be able to make Thursday.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 2:52 pm   Permalink

nice - how is the food? and what about other drinks ? Approved Containers? (disclaimer: i do like the highball glass for my mai tai and generally receive waivers from the Village Elders of Okonkuluku for not using an Approved device for this libation)

ho

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Martiki-bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 3:43 pm   Permalink

We'll be wandering around on the 27th and are definitely up Shun Lee's (or whatever. We certainly don't want to go into rum-and-great-ohana withdrawl.

Mai tais are usually served in old-fashioneds or sometimes fancy cocktails at Shun Lee, but they are mighty tasty . Food is fabulous, a tad pricy, but you certainly get what you pay for.

King Yum is in Queens, and is a fairly short trip (if I'm remembering correctly) from Manhattan. There's also Jade Island on Staten Island. A bit of an adventure, but plenty of great food, fun decor and tasty libations in approved containers.

View Profile of Martiki-bird Send a personal message to Martiki-bird  Email Martiki-bird Goto the website of Martiki-bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 4:19 pm   Permalink

Oh, man, how I'd really LOVE some NY Chinese food. The stuff here in LA is SOOOO Bad.

Seeing you guys discuss this is making me jealous, but then again, it's probably 10 degrees there

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 7:41 pm   Permalink

We're free Thursday evening 12/27 for mai tai's at Shun Lee!

Also, on Friday, Dec. 28 we're meeting our friend
Dan aka Dankophonic from California at Otto's Shrunken
Head about 9pm for his first visit there.
He runs the Tiki Paradise Users Group on Myspace.
http://groups.myspace.com/httptikigroupmyspacecom

It would be great if anyone else wants to join us there too.

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Looie Kalua
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-22 8:27 pm   Permalink

The NYC Ohana have been hard at work lately, performing fun-readiness drills and let's-get-together maneuvers. We are approaching peak performance!

Yes, you shall come hang out, Mr. Ho, and yes, the NYC Greater Metro Area Ohana will represent. I'm hip for Shun Lee's, assuming they're hip to have us (they were doing a private party during our last attempt). We'll hammer out some approved options that hopefully will include approved containers.

View Profile of Looie Kalua Send a personal message to Looie Kalua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-23 10:47 am   Permalink

this sounds great everyone! I will defer to you all on the best place; we can go to either joint.

mr ho

tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-23 2:23 pm   Permalink

We can do it at my place, if you like.

Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-23 2:45 pm   Permalink

Might be down for a meet up...

Keep postin with time and location and well go from there..

Shun lees (if we go we should call first - 212-595-8895) , apt hang, ottos - maybe all of them?

King Yum is an option but a bit of hike - I know the subway gets close to it though.

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Looie Kalua
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-23 3:27 pm   Permalink

There's also Zombie Hut in Cobble Hill (Brooklyn). Several of us made it out there once, and it's pretty cool. Definitely approved containers. And don't forget Waikiki Wally's (or Wally's Pacific Catch, or whatever it's called)... they have food and the drinks are good.

View Profile of Looie Kalua Send a personal message to Looie Kalua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-23 9:09 pm   Permalink

I'm sad to say to report that we went to Wally's with visiting friends last Monday and the drinks were not good, the place was freezing and it was kind of a bummer. It's a shame because they designed such a cute place originally....

Quote:

On 2007-12-23 15:27, Looie Kalua wrote:
TAnd don't forget Waikiki Wally's (or Wally's Pacific Catch, or whatever it's called)... they have food and the drinks are good.

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-23 9:30 pm   Permalink

Wally is changing - lets put it that way.

While it was sorta cool - and worth a stop in to LOOK - or take a photo outside by the Moai its on its way to "changing" - SO stop by, look, take a picture or two and then walk a few blocks down to Ottos. I'm told good things are to come - but thats all I know.

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-24 11:12 am   Permalink

Damn! We will not be around for the next meet up. I know the NY/NJ ohana will show Mr Ho a good time. We spent so much time together over the past few weeks that we are actually starting to have TC withdrawal. We will have to settle for tequila drinks and field mai tais while in Mexico.

As another option, if you want to try a great mai tai or zombie (and if you like well made cocktails in general) try the Flatiron Lounge (19th btw 5 and 6) or the Pegu Club (Houston and W Broadway I think). Neither of these places are tiki, but they both take cocktail mixology VERY seriously. You may have to ask for the tiki drinks, but they sure know how to make them.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation