FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The Hinky Dinks Frankenstein What Was It?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Hinky Dinks Frankenstein What Was It?
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-12-24 7:46 pm   Permalink

In The Book of Tiki on page 82 there is an ad for Hinky Dinks that says “The Home of the Frankenstein” Does anyone know what this was? A drink? A six-foot sandwich? I gots to know. I’m guessing it was a Zombie knock off and if so does anyone have a recipe? I want to make one.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2007-12-24 19:47 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-25 5:40 pm   Permalink

Bump!

I am in it for the sandwich!!!!!

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-26 07:35 am   Permalink

This is the basic receipe:

FRANKENSTEIN

Serves: 1

3/4 ounce vodka

3/4 ounce Midori

3/4 ounce çuracao

2 ounces orange juice

Splash of grenadine

Fill Collins glass with ice, mix ingredients in martini shaker, pour in Collins glass, garnish with an orange slice.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-26 09:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-26 07:35, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Fill Collins glass

You said "Fill Collins" isn't he in Genesis?

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-26 09:16 am   Permalink

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's beautiful... Great chuckle...

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-12-26 09:25 am   Permalink

Great, Thank You PTD!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-12-26 09:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-26 09:07, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Quote:

Fill Collins glass

Yr right. PTD is trying to yank some chains. There are two counts against this recipe. Midori wasn't around back in the time of Hinky Dinks and neither was Genesis! So I'm pretty sure that Trader Vic wouldn't have even heard of Fill Collins.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-26 10:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-12-26 09:26, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Fill Collins glass

Yr right. PTD is trying to yank some chains. There are two counts against this recipe. Midori wasn't around back in the time of Hinky Dinks and neither was Genesis! So I'm pretty sure that Trader Vic wouldn't have even heard of Fill Collins.

The only other "Frankenstein" receipe I was able to scrounge up included some yummy Jagermeister; I questioned the Midori, however, I knew Jager did not exist. Not sure what the substitute for Midori would have been? Fill Collins glass, Fill Do Ho glass, your right, I'm full of it!

PTD

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-12-26 10:10 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-26 10:55 am   Permalink

All I know about the "Frankenstein" is if you drink it - you will be so drunk that you walk around like Frankenstein.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-26 8:31 pm   Permalink

I found a Frankenjack recipe from 1939...

1 pony Dry Gin
1 pony French Vermouth
1/2 pony Cointreau
1/2 pony Brandy

serve with a cherry.

Maybe that will steer in the right direction?

Fill Collins..... hee hee hee hee

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-12-26 9:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks Chip and Andy,

I guess I'm gonna have to try all these recipes, which sounds like a nice afternoon.

Carmine Verandah
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-29 11:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

Quote:

Fill Collins glass

Perhaps he is mentioned in the "begats" section. La Verandah skips that part religiously...

View Profile of Carmine Verandah Send a personal message to Carmine Verandah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 04:09 am   Permalink

I saw an old news paper add for Hinky Dinks Frankenstien and it pictured the monster with a beer in one hand and a hot dog in the other. From that I am guessing it was a some type of deal on a frankfurter and glass of beer with a bad pun thrown in for free.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-01-02 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-02 04:09, captnkirk wrote:
I saw an old news paper add for Hinky Dinks Frankenstien and it pictured the monster with a beer in one hand and a hot dog in the other. From that I am guessing it was a some type of deal on a frankfurter and glass of beer with a bad pun thrown in for free.

Even better that is definitely something I can make at home.

Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-09 4:48 pm   Permalink

I have unearthed this recipe today. Lo and behold, it was actually in my "Bartender's Guide...by Trader Vic" copyright 1947 version.

I have been organizing the various books in my home bar, and as I was placing all of the cocktail recipe books together, I opened up the Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide, looked in the index, and on page 129 there is a listing for Frankenstein Cocktail, in the Gin Cocktails section. Quickly turning to page 129, I found this recipe:

FRANKENSTEIN COCKTAIL

Same as Frankenjack Cocktail.

At first I was dissapointed, but right above that listing was this recipe:

FRANKENJACK COCTAIL

1/2 oz. dry gin
1/2 oz. French vermouth
1/4 oz. apricot brandy
1/4 oz. cointreau

Shake with cracked ice; strain into chilled cocktail glass. Serve with maraschino cherry.

This recipe is pretty much the same as the one Chip and Andy posted above, except that it specifies apricot brandy instead of just brandy - the flavoring of the apricot brandy might make the taste more interesting, and to me sounds more like something the ol' Trader would have served at his bar.
So, there ya go, Boris. Next time you come up, we'll try this one out. Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: Mai Tai 2009-04-09 17:17 ]

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation