FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Hinky Dinks Frankenstein What Was It?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Hinky Dinks Frankenstein What Was It?
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 8:54 pm   Permalink

1/2 oz. French vermouth?!
People used vermouth back then like it was water.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 01:17 am   Permalink

From what Tofu Joe, and others really into mixology and vintage cocktail recipes have told me, vermouth used to be much tastier pre-prohibition and pre-WWII than it is today. When you look through vintage cocktail recipe books, the recipes all call for more vermouth. Some Manhattans and other classics call for about as much vermouth as they do bourbon or other hard distilled spirit. As the quality worsened on the vermouth, recipes over time reflected that, and have gradually reduced the amount of vermouth to what it is today. It would be interesting to try some quality vintage vermouth in comparison to what's available today, and how that would affect the taste of some classic cocktails.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 9:23 pm   Permalink

Question is, from what year is the Frankenstein? Because...was this the first sign of Vic being inspired by Don --and his ZOMBIE?
Did Vic make up a story about a customer that told him he felt like Frankenstein after he had one?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-14 2:32 pm   Permalink

Due to the interest in Hinky Dink's in the General Tiki forum, I'm bumping this.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 11:42 am   Permalink

I find it odd that if Vic was marketing his bar with a specific drink at that time why would it not end up later in his Trader Vic's Food and Drink book from 1946. The book is certainty filled with all types of cocktails and punches. Maybe it just got renamed?

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-01-16 1:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-16 11:42, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
I find it odd that if Vic was marketing his bar with a specific drink at that time why would it not end up later in his Trader Vic's Food and Drink book from 1946. The book is certainty filled with all types of cocktails and punches. Maybe it just got renamed?

Check out this post from Mai Tai:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26768&forum=10&vpost=446023

More here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28375&forum=12&vpost=417036

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2013-01-16 22:37 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 2:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Check out this post from Mai Tai:

Ugggh! Reading comprehension....thanks!

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-20 09:22 am   Permalink

It's also really important to use fresh vermouth. I buy the smallest bottles I can find and throw it out a lot.

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-20 09:29 am   Permalink

I heard, and follow, advice to keep my vermouth for not more than 6 months. I mark the date I open the bottle on the neck to help remind me when it's time to refresh it. I've had a lot of trouble with vermouth when I mix the classic Bronx Cocktail - bad vermouth can overpower and spoil a good drink very quickly.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 7:25 pm   Permalink

I buy premium vermouth (Dolin for French and Carpano Antica for Italian), use "Private Preserve" inert gas wine preserver and keep them in the refrigerator. I have never tasted any change in flavor after months, and I buy the big bottles. I have no idea how long I keep them because shelf life hasn't been a problem.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 7:31 pm   Permalink

I made my first Frankenstein last week, straight from Trader Vic's 1947 drink guide, and I was surprised by what a fine drink it is. It is sophisticated like many of the cocktails in Ted Haigh's "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails". I have a hard time seeing this being the signature drink at Trader Vic's "Hinky Dinks" hunting lodge!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 10:08 pm   Permalink

By the way, here is what Trader Vic says about the birth of the Frankenstein in his "Frankly Speaking" autobiography. Maybe it was taught to him by Albert Martin as the "Franken Jack" and he renamed it to the Frankenstein. I understand the Franken Jack was published in the Savoy Cocktail Book in 1930.

"When I went back to Oakland (after his tour of famous bars in L.A., New Orleans and Cuba), I started to mix several different drinks. I used the La Florida cocktail, the La Florida daiquiri, and a planter's punch, along with some drinks Albert Martin had shown me. And we went to work and made up a lot of new ones. Drinks that would sell in America. Tongo punches (maybe Tonga?) and frankensteins. Hot buttered rums in the wintertime. And a whole raft of little drinks."

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation