FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Hey, look what my friend made!!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Hey, look what my friend made!!!!
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-30 7:23 pm   Permalink

Hey gang,

A while back I was searching for a Don The Beachcomber coaster to try and make a replicated sign for my Tiki room. Having found a great looking coaster, I turned to my friend for help.

My friend, Leo had just purchased a CNC routing machine; he wanted to make some signs with. Well, tonight we took it for a test ride with a scan of that Don The Beachcomber coaster. This was just a 4x6 recreated wooden coaster, but it came out sweet.

In a few days, Leo plans to machine a 24"x18" wooden sign and possibly a nice set of waterproof wooden drink coasters for me. Here's some pictures, tell me what you think. This was just a trial run of the machine. The coasters will be made out of 1/4" wood, the trial run was too tall. LOL!

Happy New Year!!!

Rick

[ This Message was edited by: Bogielocks 2007-12-30 19:47 ]

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-30 9:01 pm   Permalink

very cool.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-30 9:13 pm   Permalink

Sweet!!!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-31 3:33 pm   Permalink

Looks sweet

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ScarabaTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-12-31 6:39 pm   Permalink

That's cool. Nice work!

View Profile of ScarabaTiki Send a personal message to ScarabaTiki  Email ScarabaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 3:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks all!

It does looks really sweet. I can't wait to get the full size sign to put on my wall. I'm sure I should be able to come up with some other things for him to make, any suggestions?

Happy New Year!

Rick

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-07 11:37 am   Permalink

Looking for coaster scans from defunct vintage Tiki establishments. I want to have my friend try and create other coasters, that will make up a nice bar set.

Thanks in advance...

Rick

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-07 12:48 pm   Permalink

Very groovy!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-07 7:36 pm   Permalink

Looks great! I would love the same sign with Don The Beachcomber part changed to "Drifter's Reef" to hang on our new deck! Send me a PM if that is possible. Kia Orana

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-08 7:59 pm   Permalink

for the duplicator routing machine - does the original scan have to be paper 2d or can it be a flat 3d? (like a carved piece of wood?)

that wood coaster does look REALLY good!!!!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 1:37 pm   Permalink

The coaster started with a scan of the Don the Beachcomber coaster. I know the machine could make ting from a 3D image, but it has to be a special 3D vector image file.

That's about all I know about the machine. I've just had time to see if work off of 2D images.

Cheers!

Rick

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-11 2:57 pm   Permalink

just what exactly is a CNC machine and how does it work?

looks like quite a handy little machine.

nice work on the coaster!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom

Posted: 2008-01-11 5:38 pm   Permalink

That coaster looks great!

As for suggestions for other things to try, I think the Mai Kai image below would look really cool. It's not a coaster, but it's about the same size and just needs a little filling in where the hole punch was. I'm sure somebody on TC has one they can scan for you or an image of the three cannibal tikis without the center missing. These guys were used on the last Hukilau mug.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-11 5:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-11 14:57, harro wrote:
just what exactly is a CNC machine and how does it work?

Hey Harro,

Maybe this can help..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNC

Rick

Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-11 5:57 pm   Permalink

Trader Tom,

That looks cool. If someone can scan that for me, maybe I can have my friend try it...

Thanks Tom for the suggestion..

Cheers!

Rick

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation