FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki A time to every season: Farewell Trader Vic's SF.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
A time to every season: Farewell Trader Vic's SF.
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-12-31 10:40 pm   Permalink

It is with a heavy heart that I must sadly report that Trader Vic's San Francisco has closed its doors.

All the decor and supplies are headed back to the warehouse, and I'm sure are bound for another location.

I am particularly saddened as it is where I cut my chops under the watchful eye of my now manager Jim Shoemake, the mighty Sonya Runkle, and of course, my dear old Lars Hilldebrand.

Yavuz was an excellent manager who did the very best he could, and always went the extra mile for Tiki Central and the Tiki Crawl.

A lot of great people were employed there and it was my pleasure to work with them, even if only for a short time.

We've all said it here before, but it certainly bears repeating:

Support.

Your.

Local.

Tiki.

Bar.

There but for the grace of god go us all.

Sorry to start the new year on a downer, but take off you hats and raise a Mai Tai tonight to another lost Vic's.

Mahalo,

Martin

[ This Message was edited by: martiki 2007-12-31 22:41 ]

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-31 10:58 pm   Permalink

So when is F.I. Vegas gonna happen???!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-31 11:06 pm   Permalink

Ben sure can lighten a subject, thats why we all love him!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-31 11:15 pm   Permalink

martin, you know if there was an F.I. vegas i'd be there every night. that sucks big time as i was looking forward to spending a night there with all of you guys. i can help with the vegas plans . . . i haves skilllzzz . . . .

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-31 11:41 pm   Permalink

Martin. I hope you are kidding. I just came back from Traitor Vic's in Las Vegas and I'm still in shock.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 04:41 am   Permalink

Martin sprung this on us this New Year's Eve, with the announcement at our table of "I have some very sad news for you guys!" We were thinking that maybe the fire marshall was shutting down Forbidden Island for the evening, even though it was a private party that wasn't close to over capacity.

It took a minute for the news to sink in to us - after all, we were all fairly buzzed at that point (and some of us still are ), but hey, the news still sucks. I can't believe that this is the first thing i'm posting on for any online forum for 2008. Hey, the locals around here tried to make the best of the place, especially while Martin, Jim, Lars, and Sonya still worked there. We were pretty much the only folks to show up there on Monday nights! I feel bad for Trader Vic's, and wish them nothing but the best in the future - lord knows Yavuz, along with everyone else, did what they could to keep the place afloat in the old Stars Cafe location for as long as they could. And let me re-iterate what a pleasure it was to work with Yavuz for the 2007 Tiki Central Tiki Crawl, and what stellar service he gave to us, including the Mai Tai boat, and all the cool give away schwag as well.

A moment's silence for Trader Vic's San Francisco. And let me repeat what Martin said:
Support Your Local Tiki Bar!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-01-01 11:48 am   Permalink

Very Sad,

I was only there twice but had lots of fun each time.

Seems like Trader Vic's is getting stealthier with each close.

I will miss it.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 12:19 pm   Permalink

Damn,
thats horrible, and I was just in the Bay area in Oct. and Dec.
and didn't make it.

I hope the same fate is not in store for the Emmeryville one.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 12:57 pm   Permalink

This is sad, but I don't think anyone should be too surprised. After all, the Bay Area is kind of TV-saturated compared to the rest of the US, and there's a lot of competition from other tiki bars in the general vicinity. Out of the 3 Vic's in the BA, I thought the SF one was the least impressive, so losing it isn't as painful as losing the Emeryville or Palo Alto locations would be.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 12:57 pm   Permalink

We will certainly miss SF Trader Vics' - our favorite stop off point whenever in the City. Actually, it was the first place I headed to after I picked up the business license for Forbidden Island.

Sadly, the end has been evident for some time now. Our last few visits have had us being the only folks at the bar (on a weekend night) with a myriad of open tables and ever changing bar staff. On a recent Xmas shopping trip, we escaped the madness that was Union Square and caught a cab to Vics, only to discover that they had changed their hours (again) and were now closed till evening. On another occasion, they were just closed.

SF Vics was without a doubt, the best place to order a Trader Vic's Stinker. Emeryville tries to duplicate Lars' unique recipe for me, but it never quite tastes the same.

Really, really sad. SF Vic's ... you will be missed.

Now can someone please help them move some of the decor to TV Las Vegas.

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 1:00 pm   Permalink

Well that sucks. When (if) TV's Kansas City opens this fall I'll photograph the decor extensively and we'll see if any of the SF goodies made it inland.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-01 1:09 pm   Permalink

wow. i'm really glad we went on Thanksgiving Weekend. i thought it was odd, that TVSF would close at 11:30 on a Saturday evening.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 1:56 pm   Permalink

Well,
At least I had the privilege of going there a number of times.
Better than reading about the ones here on TC that were closed before I was into this.

A good thread down memory lane.

Maybe they should have put in a waterfall.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 3:10 pm   Permalink

Emeryville has much more of a following than SF. It's the oldest and it holds sentimentality in literally generations of families -- who utilize it for a multitude of occasions. Beyond the "special occasion use", business people seem to be utilizing it as well. Interestingly enough, it's also a hangout for some of the locals of all adult ages.

The several times I've been in during lunch and early afternoon, they had customers in there. Unlike SF, the East Bay is perhaps not as competitive in the category that TV is in..so hopefully with continued support, it'll be okay. I understand that for Thanksgiving, they were nearly booked out.

Despite all this, we locals do need to support it more. Therefore, I'm going to propose a monthly visit there...between that and Weds at FI, and Conga Lounge forays, that'll about tap us out...

And a note regarding TV SF and Yavuz. He was an exceptional manager to work with, the epitome of professionalism. I had the honor of working with him in an outside business capacity and he was a pleasure to work with. Thanks SF TV for memories and great drinks!

Quote:

On 2008-01-01 12:19, bigtikidude wrote:
Damn,
thats horrible, and I was just in the Bay area in Oct. and Dec.
and didn't make it.

I hope the same fate is not in store for the Emmeryville one.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Loco 2008-01-01 15:11 ]

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-01 6:16 pm   Permalink

A shame!
I am glad I had the chance to visit it when I did.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation