FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music 18 Arthur Lyman albums being released on CD!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
18 Arthur Lyman albums being released on CD!!
Xndr du Sauvage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-10 07:52 am   Permalink

Thanks for the date, I can't wait to get these. Has anyone compared the sound quality of their two-fer cd's to other versions, like with the Les Baxter cds? I haven't heard the newer cd releases of Les Baxter to compare, but the CCs are perfectly fine for me. I'm not such an audiophile, but just curious if there's any difference.

View Profile of Xndr du Sauvage Send a personal message to Xndr du Sauvage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-14 11:25 am   Permalink

As far as quality goes, my copies of some of the new Lyman CDs are in the mail, so I will see. But when you listen to the LP's the spacial quality is good, but some LP recordings have a great deal of tape his (from the original tape), this is not vinyl surface noise, but actual tape hiss. There is even a track (I can't remember which LP its on), that you can head, what sounds like, people unloading a pallet of stuff. Lyman is doing a quiet passage on a tune and there is the definate sound of large things being dropped in the background. Its amazing that they kept that and didn't do another take.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-14 11:29 am   Permalink

"Exotica is a dead horse"

I wonder what the heck they meant by that?

I would suggest that eveyone write or email in to DCC and let them know you appreciate the Lyman releases (and by all means, buy them)!! It really does help to let a label know that thier efforts are worth while and could help to prompt them into considering other exotica reissues.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-14 2:44 pm   Permalink

I saw a bunch of Older Arthur Lyman cds on the HiFi lable at a record store yesterday.
how is the sound of those?
and are they out of print now?

thanks,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-15 09:52 am   Permalink

I have some of the Hi-Fi CD's (which were released by Ryko) and I must say, the sound quality is quite good on all except "Pele". That CD sounds terrible. The sound is thin and lacks any bottom end at all. I don't have the LP to do a side-by-side comparison. Anyone else experience that?

sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-15 3:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-15 09:52, Digitiki wrote:
I have some of the Hi-Fi CD's (which were released by Ryko) and I must say, the sound quality is quite good on all except "Pele". That CD sounds terrible. The sound is thin and lacks any bottom end at all. I don't have the LP to do a side-by-side comparison. Anyone else experience that?

I have the CD and the LP . I'll do a side by side later on and let you know what I find .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 01:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-15 09:52, Digitiki wrote:

For comparison , I listened to the first three tracks on side one of the LP and CD . Like you said , the sound is " thin " , and lacking bottom . The highs are over-accentuated , e.g. hits on the ride cymbal bell almost blowing my eardrums out ! The LP sound is an overall warmer and more pleasurable listening experience .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 09:11 am   Permalink

Who released Arthur's Christmas album? That has a pretty bad sound...and not one photo of the man on it or in it!

The sad fact is that when I got him to sign my Ryko CD of Taboo at the Otani, he told me that he was not getting any royalties of any of his re-releases anymore....how can that be !? Did he sign off the rights to his catalog to some record company which licensed them out as it pleased ?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 09:38 am   Permalink

Pretty sure my Silvery coated MELE KALIKIMAKA LP has a photo of the band in SUITS...and it sounds GREAT...guess it depends on what version you get

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 09:41 am   Permalink

Bigbro, you nailed it. That's been my concern since the dawn of 'downloading music'. Are the right people getting money for these re-prints? Are the WRONG people getting my money? --and how do I know?

If Lyman wasn't getting any bread from the re-issues when he was still breathing, no way is his family seeing any now.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 09:54 am   Permalink

If it's any consolation, most artists have been ripped off by record labels from Day One.

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 10:03 am   Permalink

and will CONTINUE to be if busines has anything to do with it...the artistic are an EASY MARK...they seem to need MODERATE influxes of QUICK MONEY to keep creating

BB MoondoggyO
sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 10:37 am   Permalink

of course they release all this on cd.... AFTER I spent several weeks downloading my Arthur Lyman vinyl into my computer and burning cds for the backyard. I almost had all the albums too, just missing a few.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomobile
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 10:39 pm   Permalink

I, too, am anxiously awaiting word on the sonic condition of the new Lyman re-issues before I buy them. I have all the recent re-issues they did (before this new 2-fer wave). I would also love to find out if that recent 2-CD "The Singles" compilation of Lyman 45's has any exclusive material not on his albums. I know sometimes 45s would have alternate recordings or different versions, or even exclusive material. Anyone have this singles collection? Sometimes with so many compilations it's hard to figure out which ones have actual rare material and which ones just re-hash the same album tracks over and over.
Thanks again,
Curious,
Louis

View Profile of Atomobile Send a personal message to Atomobile      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 3:32 pm   Permalink

Thread bump
and
I just contacted Collector's Choice and it appears that the Lyman CD's releases have been pushed back from Jan 18 to Feb 24th. Argghhhh!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation