FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music 18 Arthur Lyman albums being released on CD!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
18 Arthur Lyman albums being released on CD!!
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-19 09:56 am   Permalink

Disc number 2 arrived today with "Cotton Fields" & "Blowin In The Wind" albums on it. Again the sound quality is first rate!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-19 09:58 am   Permalink

Cotton Fields...a few too many covers on that one..that and Love For Sale are 2 Lyman LPs I cast off

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-19 11:36 am   Permalink

FYI - Amazon is now listing these releases for an April 8 release date and an $18.98 retail price.

The Collector's Choice has free shipping for orders over $50, so if you're picking up 3 of the CDs that'll get you over that threshold.
~Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 10:26 am   Permalink

CD Universe is also showing a release date of April 8th only their price is 13.84 (at least for now). Collector's Choice takes the first couple of months sales at 'their' price before releasing to other distributors to maximize sales from people who can't wait that long (in other words people like me). I suspect CC will then adjust their price down.

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-20 12:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-20 10:26, alohacurrent wrote:

CD Universe is also showing a release date of April 8th only their price is 13.84 (at least for now). Collector's Choice takes the first couple of months sales at 'their' price before releasing to other distributors to maximize sales from people who can't wait that long (in other words people like me). I suspect CC will then adjust their price down.

That's usually what happens. Oftentimes Collector's Choice's adjusted prices are far lower than other retailers, especially if you can dodge the shipping charges by spending $50 or more on their web site.
Peace,
Peter

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kent
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-21 3:10 pm   Permalink

Got 3 discs in today's mail (free shipping!) Bwana A, Isle of Enchantment & Latitude 20. Excellent quality all around. Hope these do well.

View Profile of Kahuna Kent Send a personal message to Kahuna Kent      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 01:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-02-14 16:19, DejaVoodoo wrote:
I'm so glad to hear these reissues are worth the hefty price! OK, $16.95 isn't ridiculously expensive but when you consider that most new CDs can be had for anywhere from $10 to $14, the extra dollar or two tacked on to the cost of the Lyman reissues is a little odd considering that a) Collector's Choice Music said Exotica was a dead horse, and b) the majority of their reissues sell for a lot less. I guess the whole two LPs on one CD thing warrants a higher price? Oh well. It's not like I'm not buying the albums anyway!

If these reissues prove popular and sell in droves, perhaps Collector's Choice Music will seek out other easy listening/lounge/exotica albums languishing in the vaults and realize that there is still a market for re-releasing "old" music not just in MP3 format but also on CD. Even though I love my iPod, there's still something magical about tearing open a freshly picked CD and thumbing through the jacket before spinning that little plastic disc on the 'ol stereo...

That being said, I can't wait for my first batch of Arthur Lyman reissues to arrive. They shipped TODAY!

I just purchased Bwana A / Bahia & Isle Of Enchantment / Polynesia NEW for $ 10 each on Ebay .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 2:50 pm   Permalink

Just got my remaining Lyman titles on CD in the mail.

I want to let everyone know that the quality is first rate, these are NOT LP rips, they sound like they are from the master tapes. Its such a pleasure to have these albums on CD! However, still missing are "Call of the Midnight Sun", "Hawaiian Sunset Vol 2.", "Greatest Hits", and "Aloha Amigo".

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 3:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-10 14:50, Digitiki wrote:
Just got my remaining Lyman titles on CD in the mail.

I want to let everyone know that the quality is first rate, these are NOT LP rips, they sound like they are from the master tapes. Its such a pleasure to have these albums on CD! However, still missing are "Call of the Midnight Sun", "Hawaiian Sunset Vol 2.", "Greatest Hits", and "Aloha Amigo".

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 7:36 pm   Permalink

I just visited the Collector's Choice website .... all of the Arthur Lyman '2-fer' releases are now marked at $14.98 .... a $2 savings from the original list price.

I also checked, and several Martin Denny releases are also $2 off - these are the ones that feature both the mono and stereo versions of his early releases (Exotica, Exotica 2, Exotica 3, Quiet Village, Primitiva, Hypnotique, and Afro-Desia) Martin Denny's live 'Baked Alaska' is also on sale for $9.

And there are several Les Baxter 2-fers being offered, also $2 off:
Ports of Pleasure/Sacred Idol (CD titled Sacred Dreams)
Ritual of the Savage/Passions
Tamboo/Skins
The Soul of the Drums/Academy Award Winners

It is a dangerous website to visit, especially when one has just received their tax refund, and only has vinyl copies of much of the above.

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev 2008-04-10 19:37 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation