FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Seagoat's pieces *update 8/13/14-new swordfish bill p.5
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Seagoat's pieces *update 8/13/14-new swordfish bill p.5
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 10:12 am   Permalink

Hello, I originally posted this in Benzart's 'need more carving's' thread but I thought I'd start another with it and to ask some other questions. Hope this isn't against etiquette.
_______
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I've been browsing these forums off and on and figured it was time to sign up and add a few photos. I've done a couple tiki related pieces and have looked on here for ideas and inspiration. Figured I'd add them to Benzart's request thread to get started. There is a lot of great work on here and I have a long way to go if I keep up with this.

Anyway, here are a couple photos of a small moai that I did recently out of eucalyptus branches that had been trimmed nearby. I grabbed another piece about this size and 3 others that are maybe about 2-2.5 times this size. So I have four more branch pieces to start working with. It was all done using a dremel and then hand sanded. Debating on painting it or not but by the looks of other pieces on here, looks like I should color it.

The first tiki thing I tried was a tiki totem on a swordfish bill back in Aug. 2004. I sanded the whole bill down, carved the handle in it, then carved the tikis with the dremel and polished it all up. Decided it needed to be mounted on something so built a backing frame for it it with plywood and bamboo. Here is one full shot and close-ups of each tiki.

I think I saw in one of GMan's threads that he had a photo of a bunch of dried swordfish bills. If so, Gman, have you done anything with them yet? From the looks of your wood pieces, I'm sure yours will turn out a lot nicer. Then again you also have more experience at this. Thanks to everyone for the cool forums and sharing the artwork.
_________

So if I color the Moai, would gray spray paint work well or do you all have other recommendations?

Also, I'm trying to learn what the different styles are from the different island regions, etc. but can't seem to find a list or book that show the different examples of the styles. I found this thread
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=15974&forum=7&start=0

but some of the old links are dead and a bunch of the images on the purple jade tiki site are down as well. So I'm curious if anyone has some new links, books, etc that they can recommend or a good thread that I am overlooking. I'm also browsing the "Old guys" thread for advice. I realize that it comes down to research and possibly buying multiple books if there is no one stop shop of styles for beginners. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

[ This Message was edited by: seagoat 2013-11-11 14:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: seagoat 2014-01-30 10:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: seagoat 2014-05-12 12:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: seagoat 2014-08-13 14:34 ]

View Profile of seagoat Send a personal message to seagoat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-02 10:40 am   Permalink

Welcome seagoat, WOW outstanding first tikis your a natural.
You have came to the right place ask and you shall receive.
Love that name seagoat.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-03 1:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks seeksurf and Benzart (other thread). Benzart, thanks for the stain idea. I was trying to come up with something that would give it that stone look but a good stain would look nice.

I'll post an update once I get it done.

View Profile of seagoat Send a personal message to seagoat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-29 09:51 am   Permalink

Wow, swordfish bills?!? It looks great! How was it to carve compared to the eucalyptus? I wonder if marlin bills would be the same, I have access to those a lot more.

I missed your thread before, if you're still looking for books with different traditional styles, Oceanic Art by Meyer is really good (and BIG).
http://www.amazon.com/Oceanic-Art-Anthony-J-Meyer/dp/3895080802

There's not a lot of any one style, which can be a bummer, but it does have stuff from pretty much everywhere.

Keep up the great work!

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-03 10:09 am   Permalink

Mieko,

Thanks for the info. As far as the carving between the two items goes, we are comparing bone to wood. So the eucalyptus is softer overall and the bone is harder and allows for a cleaner edge. The bill took some time to do because it was my first time doing anything like that and I didn't know how deep to go. I probably could have gone a bit deeper on them but there is a big hollow area at the base of the bill and a hollow tube that goes up along each edge that holds a vein, so I didn't want to go too deep and cut into the hollow areas. I just used a variety of dremel bits to cut away the larger areas, the fine lines, sanding and polishing, etc.

I think the marlin bill would be carvable as well but it wouldn't be quite the same. The swordfish bills are longer and are flatter than the marlin spike which are thinner and rounder. So there is less surface area to work on with the marlin spike but there are people here that have done tikis and other pieces with much smaller material. I think the marlin spikes are a lot rougher than the swordfish bill to start with. I have done a lot of sanding on the bills to get all the rough stuff and outer layer of skin off the bill to get it to the smooth finish, so you may have to do that with the marlin as well. Guess it all depends on how you want it to look at the end.

I've stained the Moai, just haven't taken any photos of it yet. Still need to start working on either another piece of wood or another swordfish bill. Not sure either will be tiki related though.

seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-22 12:46 pm   Permalink

Hey everyone,

So here is the update of my first Moai with the stain added. I think I only did one coat and I don't remember what color I used. Does it work or does anyone have suggestions/recommendations?

Even though it isn't a tiki, here is the latest one I'm working on with another small piece of eucalyptus. The design came from a face on a t-shirt that I bought years ago. I always thought it looked cool and thought it would be another nice practice piece since it is more detailed than the moai.

After this, I have three pieces of eucalyptus that are a little larger that I plan on trying some different tiki styles on them. Unfortunately they have some decent cracks in them so we'll see how it goes. I'm also thinking of getting some small chisels since I don't think the dremel would be too effective on the larger pieces of wood and would take even longer.

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: seagoat 2008-05-22 12:47 ]

seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 11:55 am   Permalink

Hey everyone, so I've mostly finished this latest carving. Took way too long to get around to finishing. I need to work on this stuff more often and/or faster. I may try to fix up a couple things but this is pretty much it so I can move on to the next. So here are some different photos because I have a question.

Dry wood w/flash

Dry wood w/no flash

Wet wood w/flash

Wet wood w/no flash

So I'm trying to figure out what to use for a finish. I still have the stain that I used for the Moai, but I don't think I want to color both of those the same. I rinsed the face to get the dust off after the sanding and thought it looked good with the wet look of the natural wood. So does anyone have a recommendation of some type of clear coating that will bring out the color a little bit but not darken it too much? Thanks for the help.

Haven't decided if I'm going to start another piece of eucalyptus or another swordfish bill next.

[ This Message was edited by: seagoat 2009-02-05 11:56 ]

big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 12:42 pm   Permalink

hey seagoat,

can't help you with the finish as i've used what i had on hand - tung oil and also a stain wax and haven't done any research. love the moai with the crack. happen before or after the carve? the new one is fiendishly cool. keep it up.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 1:57 pm   Permalink

I Love how your Moai turned out and think this Awesome New guy would look great with the same finish.. I really love the excellent detail and features of this one!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 09:21 am   Permalink

BD - Thanks. Yeah, the crack was there to begin with. The other three bigger pieces of eucalyptus that I have all have some decent cracks in them as well so we'll have to see how they work out.

Benz - Thanks. I may end up using the same stain since it would be easier since I already have it but I'm going to keep doing some research to see what else might work.

Thanks guys.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 10:39 am   Permalink

That Face is excellent!!

I would love to see you use subtle color to highlight and shade the piece. A flat stain may not give you the accents this piece screams for - extreme expression. I usually paint the shadow areas to add depth in a well-lit area. Here's the technique (ALWAYS DO A TEST PIECE FIRST):

Finish sanding and applying any stain you desire. Once the wood is the shade you want, you will need to seal it. Sealing the wood allows you to paint on the surface without the paint being soaked into the wood (allows you to fix any screwups). I use a mixture of 50%/50% boiled linseed oil and turpentine (ancient woodworkers formula). Brush on generously, allow to dry for 15 minutes then wipe off the excess - let dry for at least 1 hour. Then you are ready to paint (I use Water-based Acrylics but you can use Oil Paint as well - oil paint takes longer to dry). It will stink so keep it in a well ventilated area.

Mix the colors you want - starting with lights colors and progress to dark. Mix your paint with water/thinner till it is very thin. The goal of this technique is to add color while keeping the natural beauty of the wood. Brush on the thin paint till you reach the level of opacity that you want. While painting keep a clean, wet rag with you to remove any paint that you may not want. Allow to dry. Brush on the 50/50 mix and wipe clean. Repeat this process till you are happy with the result. Allow the piece to dry completely and finish with a clear coat (I like the wipe-on Poly).

This technique will give you subtle color variations that can make the piece look more 3 dimensional, even in crappy light. I did not make this up - it actually came from an article in Wood Carving Illustrated
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/issue42/realistic-skin-tones.php

Good luck. I'm sure no matter what you finish it with its gonna come out killer!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 12:46 pm   Permalink

Great Face seagoat love the expression you have captured with this guy.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 10:08 am   Permalink

AS - Thanks for all that info. I didn't really think of painting it but I'll look through the link and give it some thought. Still haven't made the final touches and haven't decided how to finish it.

Seeks - Thanks, didn't turn out quite like the image I based it on but still pretty happy with it.

seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 10:22 am   Permalink

So I finished this guy up. I ended up first giving it a couple coats of General Finishes satin top coat and then a blend of Minwax Natural and Puritan Pine. I did multiple layers in a couple areas to try to darken it a little more. The Puritan Pine is what I used on the Moai with no top coat. I didn't want it to be that dark so I did the blend. Turned out alright I guess. I almost think I should have done the stain first with the Natural and then put the top coat on later. Oh well, this is what it is. On to something else.

Flash / No flash

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 11:45 am   Permalink

Scary good! I love it. Thanks for describing your finish process. I'm still trying to figure all that out myself.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation