FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Seagoat's pieces *update 8/13/14-new swordfish bill p.5
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Seagoat's pieces *update 8/13/14-new swordfish bill p.5
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-23 10:44 am   Permalink

Thanks McTiki and Hang10. As far as the tools go, I bought a basic set of 5 chisels from Lowes. Nothing special or high end since I hadn't used chisels before and just wanted to get something and figure out how to use them. Once I rough out the shape then I'll switch to the dremel. I have various cutting and sanding bits to smooth things out and add the details and depth. And time. Lots of time plugging away at it, deciding to take a little more off here and there, try to fix this and that until I decide, 'Alright, that's enough.' Now to come up with the next project...

View Profile of seagoat Send a personal message to seagoat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 11:52 am   Permalink

New Moai done. Unknown type of wood found along a sidewalk.

Couple coats if different color stain, no poly this time but boy is it shiny.

View Profile of seagoat Send a personal message to seagoat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 12:37 pm   Permalink

Nice use of bent wood.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 2:42 pm   Permalink

wow that's really a great piece, the bend certainly adds much character. great job!

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 8:17 pm   Permalink

Ya gota love that sidewalk wood.
Awesome Moai.
I've yet to try one,
Maybe now is a good time.
Great step by step pics.

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-12 10:26 am   Permalink

Thanks guys. Yeah, I like the curve of the wood.

Moving on to something bigger and have started working on a chunk of palm to see what that is like. Any tips or suggestions for treating/finishing palm for leaving it outdoors?

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-12 10:41 am   Permalink

Nice! love the wood flow.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-22 05:32 am   Permalink

Nice! Like the birdman detail as well...

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-23 08:41 am   Permalink

I like it!

Looks like he should be riding a really fast motorcycle...

As said before, nice use of the curve.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-23 2:21 pm   Permalink

Another moai finished. My first carving with palm and it is just under 3 feet tall. Certainly different than carving the eucalyptus branches from before. I have three other pieces of palm left. May attempt a different style with the next one.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-23 3:40 pm   Permalink

Kool

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 11:32 am   Permalink

Hey Gang,

Here is a tiki-ish update since my last post. A while back I decided to make some custom frames for some Doug Horne prints I bought. I based the pattern on designs found in the artwork.

Some time after that I made a 'hops' tap handle for home. Yes, this is non-tiki but throwing it in here anyway.

Most recently I finished this relief type carving of a swordfish and sea scene. I'll call this one tiki-ish since the Beachcomber still has the old swordfish out front.

Maybe a real tiki again next...

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 12:19 pm   Permalink

I like it!

what kinda wood?

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 2:58 pm   Permalink

That swordfish is the bomb.
Not so EZ.
I did a shark like that around pg 37.
Nice job.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 4:09 pm   Permalink

Exceptional work on the billfish piece!!!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation