FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Archaeology: Moon Islander, South Titusville, Florida
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki Archaeology: Moon Islander, South Titusville, Florida
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-04 11:18 am   Permalink

I came across this weird menu cover again in Jim Heimann's "May I Take Your Order?- American Menu Design 1920-1960" and thought that maybe some Florida Ohana know something about this place. Here is a scan from Jim's book:

This menu design looks like such a failed attempt at Tiki Modern, I find it totally baffling. What were they thinking? Dali, American indian rock art, Chinese...? Heimann describes it as "abstraction gone awry"- I say!

The caption estimates it to be from 1955, (maybe by the prices?), but I'd say it's more 60s or even 70s. Probably a Chinese Fu-joint, and the owners grandson got to design the cover.

Where the hell is South Titusville? Anybody live nearby, or ever found any evidence of the place?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala_kahiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-05 08:35 am   Permalink

I don't know anything about this place, but Titusville is about an hour east of Orlando

View Profile of hala_kahiki Send a personal message to hala_kahiki  Email hala_kahiki Goto the website of hala_kahiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-05 10:06 am   Permalink

South Titusville is north of Vaginaville

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-05 10:37 am   Permalink

Titusville is right next to Kennedy Space Center. Back in the 1960s, during the heady days of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo space projects, Titusville was a happening place. A lot of press, guests, and probably employees of KSC would stay in Titusville. A lot of hotels and restaurants popped up to support all of those visitors going to watch the mission launches.

So perhaps the name of the restaurant - Moon Islander, is a clue or tie-in to the big Apollo craze of the mid and late 1960 in Titusville.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-05 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-05 10:37, tikipedia wrote:
So perhaps the name of the restaurant - Moon Islander, is a clue or tie-in to the big Apollo craze of the mid and late 1960 in Titusville.

Cool! I was hoping for it to have that connotation, Space & Tiki is one of my favorite facets of Tiki Modern!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-05 12:47 pm   Permalink

Here is a picture of my menu. It is a beautiful example of Abstract Tiki similiar to the South Seas menu in Boston.

More information on this restaurant would be nice. James has it listed in the "new" edition of Tiki Road Trip in which he states...

Moon Islander, Highway 1, Titusville, Florida
"A popular prom destination in the 1960's, they had souvenir Tiki mugs with their name on them. An unrelated woman's clothing store is using the name now."

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-05 7:15 pm   Permalink

Now we're getting somewhere! James, where'd you get that info? What type of mug did they have? What does the logo of that store look like?
I do like the contrast of your menu cover better, Jeff, but the graphics are still way off. Were they trying to do Bugs Bunny in space type of stuff? That bird? And is that a space ship/UFO on the bottom? Questions, questions.

MobileTikiBar
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-09 6:46 pm   Permalink

A google search turns up:

http://www.loansenseplus.com/industries/eating_places1.asp?spg=233
MOON ISLANDER RESTAURANT
U S HIGHWAY#1 SOUTH
TITUSVILLE FLORIDA, 32780 * SOUTHEAST BANK OF TITUSVILLE P O BOX B
TITUSVILLE FLA, 32780 * 04/27/1967

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=comment.ShowAllComments&g2_itemId=293&g2_page=2

someone who may have been there:
http://forums.floridatoday.com/viewtopic.php?p=331283&sid=890fc659643a6fb2c8ba7c40a6451f24
Grovian
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007
I miss the:
Sandpoint Inn
Moon Islander

View Profile of MobileTikiBar Send a personal message to MobileTikiBar  Goto the website of MobileTikiBar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 7:29 pm   Permalink

Good fingerwalking research, thank you.
I wonder if the Moon Islander had decor like THIS:

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-15 06:04 am   Permalink

I may have to take a road trip over there. I use to spend a lot of time in the area.

It's very run down now but I do remember some cool architecture in the area.

Is there an address on the menu?

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-15 06:42 am   Permalink

Flounder, good to hear from you, where've ya bin !? There is none in TRT ? Jeff actually has the menu, I just copied it from a book. Maybe you can find some ads in the local library in the yellow pages, or old newspapers.

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 10:02 am   Permalink

I'm so crazy busy these days that I'm having trouble making time to do the things I love.

I'll try to get over there soon. Maybe I can get Kailuageoff to tag along.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-17 12:20 pm   Permalink

Part of your menu was covered up Bigbro, but judging by Jeff Centrals cover GROG would say that the artist was using "implied line". By showing part of an object, the artist leaves the viewer to fill in the rest of the object in his/her imagination. So GROG quickly fill in GROG version to show what GROG beleieve the artist was implying with the art. GROG believe it's a full bodied wooden tiki with a headdress holding either a paddle or a war club with a woodpecker pecking into the wood of the tiki. But, that's just GROG's guess. All artwork is open to interpretation.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2008-01-17 18:35 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 7:26 pm   Permalink

Hmmm, very nice! Facial reconstruction and post-mortem illustration techniques might prove helpful in Tiki archeology!
I am quite certain though that the artist was inspired by abstract, modern, surrealist art like this Dali lamp:

I think back in the 60s "modern art" and "Space" were all associated with "weird", and that was the concept for the cover....a space alien Tiki portrait. A naive tribal Dali Tiki.

Kinda like this "mask" that you all know from the chapter index of Tiki Modern:

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-18 07:40 am   Permalink

Hey Bigbro,

Where did you get that picture of me?

That's usually what I look like when listening to my turntable sewing machine. I believe I was listening to Nurse With Wound's "Steel Dream March of the Metal Men" when this snapshot was taken.

Nice artwork Grog!! That actually looks pretty good!!

Cheers and Mahalo you crazies!!!

Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation