FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki Archaeology: Moon Islander, South Titusville, Florida
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki Archaeology: Moon Islander, South Titusville, Florida
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-06 1:20 pm   Permalink

Continuing off topic a bit, here is an image of Brian's neighbor:

The gal on the right. Better known to us as Kern's Mom. A great lady!

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-07 09:02 am   Permalink

Sven, thank you for the image enhancements of the Tapiti Nui crew. Pat, my wife, remains heartbroken at the loss of her friend. Several days before the start of the ill-fated voyage, An came to see her, intending to leave her pet guinea pig, but Pat had no place for a domestic rodent. I recall Pat’s Dad trying to persuade Kim Powell to carry a marine radio in case they needed to call for help en route, but Kim was a minimalist and supremely confident in his ability to deal with any situation. After all, he had as a young man constructed his own catamaran and, accompanied by his young children, sailed it from Tahiti back to the States.

Nice photo, Tim, of Kern’s mom. Sure looking forward to the June rendezvous at the Mai Kai.

Back on topic...

Wanting to know more about that approximate 50-acre farm in the vicinity of Titusville used to supply the Moon Islander with fresh vegetables, I called Carol, the former Moon Islander bartender, to see if she knew about it. Indeed she did, indicating that it was on Barna Avenue south of Knox-McRae Drive. It took only minutes using the online Brevard County Property Appraiser’s web site to locate the likely site of Moon’s old farm on two adjacent 24.75-acre parcels at 4400 South Barna Avenue. Digging through quick claim deeds in the official record book confirmed it. The records show that the property remained in the family until sold in 1994 by Ella May Lueg, Moon’s wife. Recall that Moon himself passed away in 1984 at 76 years of age. Ella May lived into 2000, passing away at 90 years of age.

After a short drive yesterday afternoon, I found the old farm site, overgrown and still undeveloped nearly 30 years from the time of the Moon Islander. An old farm outbuilding was intact but showing neglect. I didn’t venture into the property, as “No Trespassing” signs were prominently posted and it’s on a busy road with homes on the opposite side – I must have driven by it thousands of times in the past without a clue…

Carol also stated that cows grazed the land there. Hmmm, could that have been the source of some of the Moon Islander steaks (see “we don’t guarantee the meat” in Chewed-out Diner... post)?

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 3:33 pm   Permalink

Hmmmm...I doubt they slaughtered their own livestock for the restaurant. Seems the USDA would frown mightly on that.

Looks like they owned the farm in Titusville, but my article stated Oakley "rented" the land they farmed in Ft. Pierce. Wonder if Moon owned it and rented it to their son? Since the Moon Garden stood abandoned for over 40 years (1964-2005 when demolished), I would think that he owned the land it stood on, maybe not demolishing it due to memories, superstitions of his deceased daughter or that they had a chunk of change in it and planned to reopen later but never did.

Did a google search of the address on the document you provided. Address is on Old Dixie Hwy which runs along side of US 1 just south of Hillcrest Gardens Cemetary (findagrave.com shows Moon and Ella's gravesite there). Wonder if this was the location of the farm and maybe family home?? My article quotes Oakley as saying he was going to stay in the country, the smog in the city bothered him..... From memory, I think Moon Garden was farther north than the farm.

Maybe this weekend I'll try to find the Moon Garden lot and take some pics....and take a look 'round the farm area too.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-09 12:18 pm   Permalink

Being curious about this Fort Pierce, Florida precursor to the Moon Islander, I searched and found a Moon Garden menu at a Dallas, Texas dealer. Not sure if it is pure coincidence, but I found evidence that one of Moon’s children was married in Dallas County and resided for a while with her husband in Texas.

The extensive menu indicates this was a Chinese-American restaurant and cocktail lounge, exotic in the sense of the Orient. There are no graphic elements or descriptions that present a Polynesian or tiki theme, though some of the rum drinks on the cocktail menu would normally be considered tiki cocktails... not all that uncommon for classier Chinese restaurants...

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-09 4:29 pm   Permalink

Nice score on the menu!! Is that the one that was on Ebay and Addoway? I'd seen it on both sites, but procrastinated and missed getting it. I was hoping someone here snagged it.

Hoping to go out tomorrow AM to the Moon Garden site. Maybe cruise by the Moom Islander dress shop in Stuart if they're open. Kinda hard for me to get around to do this, We have two kids and she works days and I work overnights so we don't have to shell out any childcare. Plus, we're shorthanded.... so I'm getting overtime that eats into my free time.....

Anyway, took a look at Google maps to find the old site of Moon Garden. Think I've found it. Just north of the farm and cematary and just south of where US 1 curves over the RR tracks:

I've place a red box around it. All that's left of is the pad.

Zoomed in closer.

Really wish I'd stopped and took pics of the place when the building was still standing. But I was in a service van, with my employer's name and number on the side....Hate to have someone call them or worse, get arrested for trespassing...

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-09 5:47 pm   Permalink

Howlinowl,

Your Google aerials look right for the site. I've poured over numerous property transactions in St Lucie County among Moon's spouse (Ella May Lueg) and her children Oakley, Michael and Lana without being sure what was involved at the various sites from the legal descriptions, many of which were metes and bounds descriptions.

My curiosity exceeded the $ amount for the menu, so I snagged it from Addoway; noticed it was also mirrored on eBay.

Understand the child and job demand thing... it's been quite a while since I had the child part of that, but the rocket ranch is driving me into overdrive lately. Not complaining, though, as there are many who wish it were so for them.

-Tom

howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 06:25 am   Permalink

Well....I STILL haven't made it over to either the Moon Garden site or the Moon Islander dress shop. I'm starting to remember why I never got any pictures of the Moon Garden.....I just can't seem to squeeze out a couple hours of free time.

However, thanks to TikiTomD's post on another thread, I started checking out the property appraisers website. They have an aerial shot of the Moon Garden site:

The walls were still up, but the roof was gone, you can tell by the shadows they cast. I don't know if this was during destruction (my guess would be yes, as if the roof collapsed, it would still be there) or not. You can make out the fountain or pool out front.

Interesting side note: While looking for this, this parcel shares the same address as the parcel behind it, which has a house and 2 storage buildings. Google search brings us this:

http://www.remax.com/property/82348949-60490585/6290-N-Us-Highway-1-Fort_Pierce-FL-34946/

Description states it was built in 1982, the same year Moon moved back to Ft. Pierce and it has the circle window out front.....I'm guessing it's the home he built when he retired.

howlinowl

TikiTomD
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-13 11:48 am   Permalink

Good stuff, howlinowl! I saw that the parcel records for this Fort Pierce location at 6290 N US Hwy 1 included a demolition permit closed in 2006.

+++++

About nine months ago, I received a PM on Tiki Central from Lana, one of the daughters of Moon Lueg, owner of the Moon Islander. She saw the TC posting and asked me to help her get in touch with Carol, the former bartender at the Moon Islander. They had worked together there and were friends. Her reply...

Quote:
Thank you very much Tom in passing along the information and getting me back in touch with Carol.

I'll go back and read the Tiki Central notes and see what I can add or provide to you for adding. It may be awhile but I'll be sure to get back with you.

Lana, we’d love to hear your story...

+++++

Carol related that Lana, rather than serving customers, attended to the business administration of the Moon Islander.

I found this college graduation photo of Lana and her sister, Lena...

The Voice May 29, 1964

-Tom

howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 3:53 pm   Permalink

Found an old ebay add for a 1964 Moon Garden Calander that ended in March. I snagged the pics below:

howlinowl

fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 5:39 pm   Permalink

@SVEN: "One day I hope to wash up on your shores again..."

Would love to have you out again Sven- just let me know if you're going to be in the area

@SWANKY: Nice picture of Louise- I've never seent hat one- I'll have to show it to her!

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-20 10:35 am   Permalink

Hey Brian, I just heard there is a new Tiki bar coming to Ormond Beach, no other info though. I wonder how Julian's and the Aku Tiki Inn are doing...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 8:24 pm   Permalink

Not much of a contribution, but I've got a swizzle from this joint.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-04-23 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-23 20:24, Big Kahuna wrote:
Not much of a contribution, but I've got a swizzle from this joint.

I'm gonna a disagree with you on this Big Kahuna and say that the swizzle is a huge contribution to this thread. It means they went the extra inch back then with the custom lettering instead of some stock swizzle and that there should be more of them out there.

Very Nice!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 8:41 pm   Permalink

You're too kind, Boris.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 07:27 am   Permalink

Cool swizzle. I agree with Boris, every little item, however small helps to document the establishment.

howlinowl

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation