FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Babalu & Hiphipahula's New Mug
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Babalu & Hiphipahula's New Mug
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-06 3:08 pm   Permalink

I love the blue and purple jelly glaze, the new masks are really nice, and the birdy heads are just weird (in a good way)!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-07 10:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the nice words people...it's pushing me to the next. I'm now thinking that I might give it a go on a few tiki drinking bowls. Best to you all!

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2008-01-08 06:53 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-08 2:07 pm   Permalink

Babs, the details and gazing are amazing....you are a master!

Beautiful....simply....beautiful.....

Damn, I may have to commission a "Cheeky Mug"

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-09 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-08 14:07, CheekyGirl wrote:
Babs, the details and gazing are amazing....you are a master!

Beautiful....simply....beautiful.....

Damn, I may have to commission a "Cheeky Mug"

that makes me happy too....

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-09 5:11 pm   Permalink

Babalu, maybe you can explain the process, since they were all hand made, did you make all the feathers up first ? did you just do a head at a time, what came first? We spoke just about everyday and I received pic's all along the way but wish I could see the process these artists go through live and in living color ya dig....

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 10:42 pm   Permalink

Sure Hip,

They are not completely handmade...I took the slip casting and added, or hand built, similar low fire clay on to that. Every single square milometer of this casting was re-textured for you. I normally let the slip sit in the mold for about an hour before I pour it out...this gives the mug a nice thickness in my opinion. The Hip mugs are just a little thicker than the normal as I wanted extra stability in the body of the casting to be able to hold up to the application of additions. Each head was done one at a time. I started each by adding the beak. then the feathers were added one at a time and textured as I added. The Key was to dry them out a little slower than I normally would so the work would dry evenly before firing...Here are a couple of pictures...hope this helps you to understand the process a little better?

Thanks Cheeky! I would be honored to do a Cheeky mug sometime :-)

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-09 11:29 pm   Permalink

The pictures really help, every picture tells a story .... thanks

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 12:22 am   Permalink

I dig that birdy head too - kitschy and cool at the same time! The colors add to it's uniqueness too....

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-11 12:22 am   Permalink

Aloha Sam, good to hear from you!

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-11 08:18 am   Permalink

Thanks for jumping in Sam to comment...Your work really blows me away!

smgleason47
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-11 12:22 pm   Permalink

WOW - These are great. The color is popping off my screen so I can only imagine how gorgeous it looks in person. Good job guys...

mg

View Profile of smgleason47 Send a personal message to smgleason47  Email smgleason47     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-12 5:19 pm   Permalink

i'm very proud to say i'm the lucky recipient of a bird of paradise. kelly pmed me recently asking if i still had the same address. a few days later a box from her showed up. having seen kate's and kelly's birds on ooga-mooga, i dared to dream there might be one inside. i was thrilled when i saw it was. the glazes are awesome. the sculpted feathers and tiki mask are highlights. rick did an amazing job of bringing kelly's vision to light. mahalo, kelly, for thinking of me with this wonderful gift. peopo like you are what make tiki central and ooga-mooga so fun.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-12 6:22 pm   Permalink

I saw Kelly the other day and got to take a close look at the mug. It's beautiful and the attention to detail is amazing. Also has a substantial solid feel to it. Great work, Babalu!!!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-12 6:58 pm   Permalink

I'M NOT WORTHY!...but O'sooo appreciative of the beautiful gift bestowed upon me by such wonderful peapo'z!!

Babalu, you sir are an awakening force of creation...we are very fortunate to have someone of your talents most graciously share with ohana.
Sistah K, peeps like you are why I joined TC...your passion for collecting is second only to a warm generosity of aloha.
Mahalo'z both and I will covet this treasure...
~Jonesey

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-13 03:18 am   Permalink

Nice Picture Jonesey, damn,,, Now if you would just shoot pic's for your collection & get them posted , you have a most awesome collection, amazing pieces. Great to hear from you KTD, Jonesey, Trader Tom & smgleason, Thank You

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation