FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Adios, Arrivederci, Auf Wiedersehen, Aloha, Goodbye....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Adios, Arrivederci, Auf Wiedersehen, Aloha, Goodbye....
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-07 11:13 am   Permalink

To all my Tiki Central Ohana -

It's a New Year and a time for reflection and new directions. So, after five years of broadcasting at Live365.com, I've decided it's time to take Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge off-the-air. It's been a great run, and I like to think that I have, in some small way, helped bring this great music to a few more people. I've had a lot of fun and made a few friends along the way. The last day the station will be free is January 22nd, after that it will be available for VIP listeners only.

All the best,

Vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-07 11:39 am   Permalink

Hey Vic, can you tell why? You have a pretty strong listener level. I'm sure it's still costing you $30+ a month to keep the station playing. That was why my station left the free airways.

Thanks for your station regardless.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-07 12:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much for all you've taught me vegasvic!!!!

I'm a fan!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-07 12:54 pm   Permalink

Ditto.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-07 1:47 pm   Permalink

What about the podcast ?

Too bad tho'...Your show was really great.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-07 2:36 pm   Permalink

Love the show. Its the soundtrack to my Monday-Friday. I'll miss it!!

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-07 2:55 pm   Permalink

Well that just starts the new year on a bad note! I don't tend to listen much to Live365 broadcasts anymore, but I do subscribe to your podcast and have enjoyed every one starting with #1. Hopefully you'll keep that going? But whatever you do, thanks for the great exotica, lounge and surf tunes over the years.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-08 11:52 am   Permalink

your podcast has been wonderful and will be sorely missed in my house.

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 10:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-07 11:39, Swanky wrote:
Hey Vic, can you tell why? You have a pretty strong listener level.

I just didn't feel that I could commit the time necessary to take the station to the next level. Listening levels peaked around 6K per month a year or two ago, and are now hovering around 3K. I wanted to see it get to and sustain around 10K. The drop-off may be because of people leaving Live365, or maybe they were just bored with the station. Either way, its too much time out, not enough love back.

More importantly, the RIAA, CRB, and SoundExchange are bound and determined to kill internet radio. The new ludicrous fees are going to kick in shortly (pending appeals) which will force companies like Live365 to either go out of business or charge small broadcasters like me a lot more (maybe $500 a month, retroactive to 2006). If that happens, Live365 will either be gone or all Pro within a few months.

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Laffo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-09 11:31 am   Permalink

Man that's too bad because it's a great station. I've enjoyed listening and thanks for doing it this long.
Laffo

View Profile of Uncle Laffo Send a personal message to Uncle Laffo  Goto the website of Uncle Laffo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-13 4:11 pm   Permalink

Vic,

Thats a damn shame, but I can understand your reasoning. There are a lot of stagnant playlists on live 365, but both the Tiki Lounge and Naked City showed a lot of effort on quality and fresh playlists.

I'm a VIP listener, how much longer do we have?

Sincere thanks for all the cool sounds.

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-13 5:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-13 16:11, Vonratnick wrote:
I'm a VIP listener, how much longer do we have?

As far as I know, VIP listeners will still have full access to the playlists after the station goes "VIP Only". If you can hear Naked City now, you should be okay.

royaltiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-13 6:35 pm   Permalink

i'm new to your podcast, so forgive my newbie question. I'm working my way through them from the beginning and enjoying them immensely. I noticed that they are becoming further apart towards the end - is the podcast related to the radio show? is the podcast coming to an end too?

View Profile of royaltiki Send a personal message to royaltiki  Email royaltiki Goto the website of royaltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-15 09:25 am   Permalink

Warm Aloha Vic

your podcasts were the ultimate work soundtrack. Very bummed to see you pull the plug, but perfectly understandable. Couple of my favorites were Mileage Run and 49th State Records Tribute. Mahalo for the music and the vibes.

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 7:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-13 18:35, royaltiki wrote:
is the podcast coming to an end too?

The podcasts will continue. I don't want to just go through the motions though, so I'm interested in feedback as I've changed the style a few times. I usually try to have each show focus (sometimes more loosely than others) around a particular theme. I'm open to suggestions.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation