[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Witco in the Movies
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Witco in the Movies
tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-08 6:56 pm   Permalink

The wife and I went to see Charlie Wilson's War tonight. Great movie. About 15+ minutes into it Charlie is entertaining a beatiful girl in his apartment. Above the bookcase is a Witco world map. It looks smaller than mine but it is witco or a clever hollywood copy. Scott

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-08 9:26 pm   Permalink

I don't know if it was ever made in a smaller size (like the Bongo Drummer and Male and Female Dancer), but it is not unlikely that mid-century savvy production designers use Witco nowadays. I saw the Wilrongo Fire dancers in a commercial a while back.

But what I have been really looking for, and was unable to come with for Tiki Mod, is 1960s/70s scenes that have Witco in them. I asked a couple of Blaxploitation experts because someone was sure to have seen it in an example of that genre, but no luck. Any sightings?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 04:01 am   Permalink

Hi Sven: well it looks real and since they show up on ebay regularly I doubt they made a copy. It is only on screen for a few seconds but even my wife said right away it looks smaller. It might have just been the shot or the big bookcase it is above. It is at the top of the screen and easy to miss unless you look for that stuff. I enjoy movies that Tom Hanks does. Especially ones he produces. He is very fussy with details. Just watch that thing you do or from earth to the moon. Very correct on the even smallest detailed stuff. Scott

[ This Message was edited by: tikicar 2008-01-09 04:02 ]

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nimereht
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-10 11:17 am   Permalink

there is a great movie called MONSTER AND THE STRIPPER aka THE EXOTIC ONES directed by ron ormand that has a witco tiki bar in it (at least i remember it that way, its been a few years since i've seen it).

its a great flick from the 60's that features some amazing burlesque and some amazing footage of new orleans from the time period...oh yeah, it also has a monster ripping a guy's arm off and then beating him with it!

View Profile of nimereht Send a personal message to nimereht  Goto the website of nimereht     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MNZombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-10 11:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-10 11:17, nimereht wrote:
there is a great movie called MONSTER AND THE STRIPPER aka THE EXOTIC ONES directed by ron ormand that has a witco tiki bar in it (at least i remember it that way, its been a few years since i've seen it).

its a great flick from the 60's that features some amazing burlesque and some amazing footage of new orleans from the time period...oh yeah, it also has a monster ripping a guy's arm off and then beating him with it!

If I am thinking of the same movie, and I assume we are since there can't be too many movies from the 60s set in New Orleans featuring burlesque and a monster ripping the arm off a guy, I wouldn't call it great. Well, change that, I'd call it great in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 kind of way. I think you are right though. it may not have been actual Witco, but it sure had that feel.

View Profile of MNZombie Send a personal message to MNZombie  Email MNZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 12:04 pm   Permalink

1987 Frankie and Annette in 'Back to the Beach' had a Witco bar(pg 8 BOT)in it . it was in a scene on the beach. TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blue Thunder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-10 1:37 pm   Permalink

You can still buy it.... http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Stripper-Kathy-Clifton/dp/6305029377

View Profile of Blue Thunder Send a personal message to Blue Thunder  Email Blue Thunder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nimereht
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-14 09:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-10 11:37, MNZombie wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-01-10 11:17, nimereht wrote:

If I am thinking of the same movie, and I assume we are since there can't be too many movies from the 60s set in New Orleans featuring burlesque and a monster ripping the arm off a guy, I wouldn't call it great. Well, change that, I'd call it great in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 kind of way. I think you are right though. it may not have been actual Witco, but it sure had that feel.

aw come on, its a fantastic movie! cat fights, rockabilly legend sleepy labeef biting the head off of a chicken, a guy getting the contents of a spittoon down his throat, a stripper drinking a glass of water upside down (!), what's not to like!?

yeah, granted, its not citizen kane or anything, but its a GREAT slice of new orleans scuzz from the 60's. if you dig exploitation movies this is an underrated gem that will leave you with your jaw hanging...

View Profile of nimereht Send a personal message to nimereht  Goto the website of nimereht     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MNZombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-14 10:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-14 09:01, nimereht wrote:

aw come on, its a fantastic movie! cat fights, rockabilly legend sleepy labeef biting the head off of a chicken, a guy getting the contents of a spittoon down his throat, a stripper drinking a glass of water upside down (!), what's not to like!?

I didn't say it was a bad movie, in fact it fits right in with my taste in films. After all my favorite movie is The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies. I was just trying to clarify what kind of flick it was. You cannot deny it would have made a great episode of MST3K.

[ This Message was edited by: MNZombie 2008-01-14 10:54 ]

View Profile of MNZombie Send a personal message to MNZombie  Email MNZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-14 1:01 pm   Permalink

I saw the Witco Globe in the movie, Wonderland.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PeleeTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-16 9:42 pm   Permalink

Tiki bar in the movie Midway.. Several good scenes w/a witco fountain in the background.

View Profile of PeleeTiki Send a personal message to PeleeTiki  Email PeleeTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 9:45 pm   Permalink

Ooooh, I love Hollywood WWII Movies (with alll the bad Nazis and Japs!), gotta see that one again!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-12 10:14 pm   Permalink

I saw the Witco fire dancers on the Power Puff Girls cartoon a few years ago... I'm pretty sure they got it on ebay! Ha

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-13 10:02 am   Permalink

I saw an old Law and Order rerun and Lenny Brisco was interviewing some guy at a flea market and he was holding a Witco.

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 9:08 pm   Permalink

not sure if witco and I know its not a movie but its something
Married with Children:

They are tiki like (the show was shot in the early 90s)
Note the leapord print pillows too!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation