Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe for 'Sneaky Tiki'
Recipe for 'Sneaky Tiki'
LoyallyLOST

Posted: 2008-01-15 12:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha!
Anybody have the recipe for 'Sneaky Tiki'? It is a drink served on the Cap'n Andy's Tour on Kauai. My husband & I are heading to Kauai this year & I was perusing the
activities, etc. & this was listed as one of the drinks on his tours.
I would love to know what is in it, how it is made or just something quite similar.
Anyone been on one of his tours & had this drink? If so, your opinion/review would be great!
Thanx!

View Profile of LoyallyLOST Send a personal message to LoyallyLOST  Email LoyallyLOST     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-15 2:27 pm   Permalink

I don't know if this is THE Sneaky Tiki, but it's A Sneaky Tiki:

1 oz. lemon juice
1-1/2 oz. pineapple juice
1/3 oz. Orange Curacao
Dash Grenadine
1 oz. each, Light and Dark Rum

Blend with a scoop of crushed ice. Serve in 14 oz. chimney glass.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-15 3:24 pm   Permalink

Is this the same Sneaky Tiki as the one from Harvey's in Tahoe? I don't know the recipe for that, either, just curious.

I think there is a recipe for Trader Dick's Sneaky Tiki in Taboo Table. Trader Dick's was based on/ripped-off from Harvey's.

[ This Message was edited by: PiPhiRho 2008-01-15 15:35 ]

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-16 02:43 am   Permalink

Yes, this is the Sneaky Tiki from Harvey's & Trader Dick's - Taboo Table

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-20 7:59 pm   Permalink

I just downed a Sneaky Tiki. This drink tastes like a "classic tiki" drink. By classic, I mean any drink you might get at an Asian or quasi-tiki joint that sells "exotic" drinks. I think its the lemon, pineapple and grenadine. It wants to be a mai tai but lacks the lime and orgeat. What a difference those two make.

I'm not saying it's bad, but I think you can cut back on the pineapple.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-03-20 8:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-20 19:59, telescopes wrote:
I just downed a Sneaky Tiki. This drink tastes like a "classic tiki" drink. By classic, I mean any drink you might get at an Asian or quasi-tiki joint that sells "exotic" drinks. ...

That would be a second or third rate Tiki drink. A "classic tiki" drink is going to be first rate. Unfortunately in this case, classic and prolific are two different things.

Isn't a properly made Trader Vic's Mai Tai a classic Tiki drink?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chippy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-21 09:24 am   Permalink

Here is the recepie I have for the Sneaky Tiki

1 oz Sweetened lime juice
2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1/2 oz Grenadine
1/2 oz Falernum
1 oz Light Rum (Peurto Rican)
1 oz Dark Rum (Jamaican)

Place all in a cocktail shaker with 1 cup of crashed ice, shake and serve over more crushed ice.
Garnish with a pineapple spear and a cherry.

Yummy!!

View Profile of Chippy Send a personal message to Chippy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-21 12:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-20 20:37, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-03-20 19:59, telescopes wrote:
I just downed a Sneaky Tiki. This drink tastes like a "classic tiki" drink. By classic, I mean any drink you might get at an Asian or quasi-tiki joint that sells "exotic" drinks. ...

That would be a second or third rate Tiki drink. A "classic tiki" drink is going to be first rate. Unfortunately in this case, classic and prolific are two different things.

Isn't a properly made Trader Vic's Mai Tai a classic Tiki drink?

You're right. That is the reason for the quotes around the word classic. I think I will try it again only using the falernum as in the recipe above. I used the word classic to mean in the sense that most of the public thinks when they hear the word classic tiki drink.

[ This Message was edited by: telescopes 2011-03-21 12:03 ]

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-21 1:50 pm   Permalink

your gist was clear- you meant the lay public's stereotype, i.e. "umbrella drinks."

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-03-31 06:25 am   Permalink

Quote:
This is really very nice recipes for the snack. When ever we want light breakfast then it is the best Sneaky Tiki...I must try this at my home thanks for sharing such a nice recipe...

Ow, my brain...

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 08:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-31 06:25, Rum Balls wrote:
Quote:
This is really very nice recipes for the snack. When ever we want light breakfast then it is the best Sneaky Tiki...I must try this at my home thanks for sharing such a nice recipe...

Ow, my brain...

I smell a sneaky spam snack around the corner.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 09:57 am   Permalink

Is spam tiki?

i know many Pacific Islanders who love to eat the stuff...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation