FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events New Exotica Book In April!?!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
New Exotica Book In April!?!
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 11:34 am   Permalink

Any pictures Jack?

How about an Exotica Discography?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 9:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-30 11:34, Jeff Central wrote:
Any pictures Jack?

None, I'm afraid. And the cover - well, let's not judge a book by it's cover? A photo of a gibson (well,from my point of view, they got that one right!) with bands of faux leopard stripe at the top and bottom. I wouldn't blame the author for that! "Marketing!" How I long for those bygone years...

How about an Exotica Discography?
Yes, it's there, but a rough review reveals only, if not mostly, re-issues from the '90s on. Not a resource for collectors of vinyl. Contemporary artists like Combustible Edison, all the Schema label artists, Ursula 1000, the Blow Up artists, Pizzacato Five, Gentle People, Don Tiki, et al, are listed under the heading "Music of the Cocktail Generation." There is some hip stuff included, but not exhaustive. Tony Wild's site is still essential. As is the TikiCentral Music forum.

As a devotee, of course I must read this book. Will I learn something? Hopefully...

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Mahalo and Cheers!

Jaak

P. S. They persist in listing a "library cloth" edition for $84.95. What does one get for the extra bucks? One can only wonder at this point.

And I apologize for all the typo/spellcheck errors I perpetuate. I sneak some of these messages off at the office under duress.

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 9:58 pm   Permalink

Jeff, are you talking to yourself again? Answering your own questions ? Tiz tiz...

Quote:

On 2008-01-30 21:16, tabuzak wrote:
And the cover - well, let's not judge a book by it's cover? A photo of a gibson (well,from my point of view, they got that one right!) with bands of faux leopard stripe at the top and bottom. I wouldn't blame the author for that! "Marketing!"

[/quote]

Ouch and double Ouch! That is like using a Hula nodder as the cover of one of my books. Is that supposed to get the rockabillies to cross over? Geeez!
I hope that at least Cleve and Combustible Edison get the recognititon they're due in "The Tiki Hour" chapter.

Jeff, getcher book goin' already, we need to be saved...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 12:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Is that supposed to get the rockabillies to cross over? Geeez!

Whoa! Them's fightin' words! hahahahah.

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 1:39 pm   Permalink

No offense intended, I dig rockabillies and they dig Tiki, and I bet some do listen to Exotica, but I think we all agree that a Gibson guitar on the cover, faux leopard skin on it or not, has VERY little to do with Exotica....and as thus is misleading/misplaced.

Maybe there are some stories about Rock-a-Hula type of music in there, but a cover should represent the ESSENCE of the subject matter of a book, which here is Exotica and Lounge music, as far as I understand...the polar opposite of electric guitar Rock'nRoll. And I should shut up because I haven't even seen the damn thing, so we'll just wait and meet back here when it is out.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 1:58 pm   Permalink

Heh! It took me a while to figure out what you are talking about!

There is no guitar on the cover. In my world a gibson is a martini made with gin and cocktail onions - and that is what is on the cover of the book.

-Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 2:15 pm   Permalink

Haaaaaaa ha on me...eat my words! Like I said, I should just shut up and wait til I see it myself....and I was thinking " Well, Les Paul DID record a nice Luau album, but... " Oh boy, was I off.

So, does it look like a cocktail book now !?

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 4:15 pm   Permalink

Just for the sake of debate, since none of us have seen this book yet, allow me to nitpick the idea that as far as drinks go, a Gibson (drink) is just as far removed from Exotica as a Gibson (guitar)!

How about a mai tai or a scorpion bowl with a gardenia floating in it, and a flame in the center.

Damn, I just made myself thirsty.
Must go mix drinks...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 4:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-31 16:15, tikibars wrote:
How about a mai tai or a scorpion bowl

With "the Scorpions" (the band) drinking out of it.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-31 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-31 16:15, tikibars wrote:
Just for the sake of debate, since none of us have seen this book yet, allow me to nitpick the idea that as far as drinks go, a Gibson (drink) is just as far removed from Exotica as a Gibson (guitar)!

\

Somehow I think they've confused Exotica with Lounge. Devolution, Part Deux

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-01 12:31 pm   Permalink

Well, judging by the chapter index, the second half of the book DOES veer more into Lounge territory....still, of all the great, sexy, seductive Exotica covers one could have chosen for a book like that...what a missed opportunity.

I find the covers seem to be a big problem for authors, but they are sooo important to make people either pick up the book or pass it by.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation