Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Need Help with ID of possible Witco
Need Help with ID of possible Witco
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 10:38 am   Permalink

When Tikimama and I were in Seattle last weekend, she spotted a quite-witco-like looking wall hanging of a ship at thrift store and we grabbed it with all haste. We didn't have any way to get it home so we prancingly called dogbytes to ask her if she would hold if for us until we could figure it out. We put it in the back of Hansel (our cabrio) with the top down and prayed to the tiki gods that they would hold back the rain. They did. Here is a pic looking down on it - can anyone ID it? It's currently the only pic I have. You can click on the picture to go to my flickr site to see it larger.

Thanks in advance!!
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 11:32 am   Permalink

Does it look like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WITCO-Eames-Mid-Century-Era-Metal-Sculpture-Wall-Ship_W0QQitemZ360014666149QQihZ023QQcategoryZ553QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They say they think it is!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 12:43 pm   Permalink

Melintur,
I am fairly certain yours is. The other one on Ebay....not so sure.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-17 1:30 pm   Permalink

That's Tikimama's car, not yours, right?

Ya'll were in that because you left yours at home.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2008-01-17 13:38 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 2:00 pm   Permalink

Off-content aside,

I have no personal shame in owning or loving HANSEL (He's so hot right now), our Cabrio. On the contrary, he is a personal point of pride.

Isn't he cute with his little top down like that? Look at him! My cute little baby.

TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 5:12 pm   Permalink

my opinion ,both are witco. just differt styles.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-17 6:02 pm   Permalink

i HaVE Ur WitCO. wILL TraDE foR ThE SmALl DoG.

that was a hilarious phone call. TikiMama looking for a place to stash a 5 foot long Witco~ i was MILES away at a dogshow. so they ditched the painting at my house with a note. of course my husband, was confused by a giant ship on our porch...

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 11:25 am   Permalink

I bought a viking ship carving at a thrift store a few years ago thinking it might be a Witco and found out it was made by The Woodcarver. Here's a link to an old discussion.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10281&forum=5

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 11:32 am   Permalink

Oh, I love Witco fakes, can you post a pic? The Woodcarver's Madonna copy in TIKI MODERN is from Puamana's collection, she also has a menu from the Woodcarver Cafe. I wonder if any of these copy cat folks ever would have guessed that 40 years after, their deeds would end up in a book.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-25 9:27 pm   Permalink

Speak of the devil! On e-bay right now, some works by ....The Woodcarver!:

Not quite as elegant, actually quite different from the Witco originals (of which unfortunately I have no image), but very interesting because for the first time I got a date: 1963

That guy was at it pretty early in the game. Wonder how long he lasted!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 11:58 am   Permalink

Actually, all these dates, with Silverline's Moai mold in Tiki Finds dated 1963 also, again confirm my theory that the core years of Tiki Modern style, the real explosion of creativity, came out of the Zeitgeist of a very brief period in the late 50s to early 60s. To hone it down to the nucleus years, I would say 1959 to 1964. This was the peak period, where the epitome of the style was formed, the years before being the build up, and the years after being the continuation and implementation of the models of the style.

GROG

Posted: 2008-01-27 12:35 pm   Permalink

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2008-01-27 12:36 pm   Permalink

P.S. Love ya Sven.

GROG

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-27 1:57 pm   Permalink

ok, is this a witco stool? i got 4 of these with a witco bar today.

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-01-27 13:57 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation