FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Crowntiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-17 11:15 am   Permalink

From EaterLA: "BEVERLY HILLS: A reader sent this snap proving that Colors on Bedford is finally and 100% defunct. Moving in: The Luau Restaurant. Interesting name choice considering one of LA's early classics was The Luau on Rodeo Drive (1954-1978 according to LA Time Machines), owned by Steve Crane, one of Lana Turner's husbands. Obviously not the same owners, but similar concept? We can't wait to hear"... http://la.eater.com/ .... Anyone have any info on this? Pretty ballzzzzy to use the name, even decades later in Beverly Hills... LA.EATER JUST ADDED THIS INFO: "Jay Weston, who writes Jay Weston's Restaurant Newsletter, spills some dirt about Luau in Beverly Hills: "Owner is Andy Hewitt of Il Sole, Chef is Mako of Mako’s on S. Beverly Drive and Loree Rodkin is doing the design…should be fabulous".... It doesn't sound very tiki, and will probably just be a haunt for pseudocelebs to drink $18 cinnamon infused-rum coladas but if Mako is doing the food (I'd love to see his take on Hawaiian / Polynesian cuisine), it should at least be great eats - but no doubt insanely pricey...

[ This Message was edited by: Crowntiki 2008-01-17 14:03 ]

View Profile of Crowntiki Send a personal message to Crowntiki  Goto the website of Crowntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 12:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-17 11:15, Crowntiki wrote:
... http://la.eater.com/ ....

good site with many links to interesting
(and sometimes sad) stories:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ambassador16jan16,1,3406872.story?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 1:49 pm   Permalink

I am not holding my breath. So far, when classic Polynesian pop names were acquired, the realization of the concept was anything but classic. My question: Why bother getting the name in the first place?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-01-17 2:21 pm   Permalink

I did a little Googling and found this -

ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW

11. 369 North Bedford
LUAU RESTAURANT
Façade Remodel, New Signage, and Outdoor
Furniture

Preliminarily Approved with Conditions; 6-0.

CITY OF BEVERLY HILLS ARCHITECTURAL COMMISSION SYNOPSIS

I'm prepared to be disappointed.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 2:46 pm   Permalink

Cool, now we have the address and can watch what develops. Who would be a good Tiki agent in the area?:

>>ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW

369 North Bedford
LUAU RESTAURANT
Façade Remodel, New Signage, and Outdoor Furniture
(PL 076 5219)

Preliminarily Approved with Conditions; 6-0. <<

Outdoor furniture? I see another Vegas Trader Vic's in the making...OR even more to the point, a nouveaux Beverly Hills Trader Vic's style competitor to that one -just like in the old days, when Steve sent Gabe to spy on Vic!

What the permit SHOULD ask for is things like "...bridge over waterfall-fed moat, flanked by open-flame gas torches..".

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-17 14:48 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-01-17 3:42 pm   Permalink

I can do it Big Bro,

I'll take a picture this weekend and then a couple a week until it's finished.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-17 4:03 pm   Permalink

Well...with the post yesterday about MAXIM MAGAZINE'S IN and OUT list, with TIKI BARS "IN" for this year coming up, let's see what develops. No one is going to do a Tiki restaurant the old school (ie: right way) but let's see what happens.

A bridge over a moat, with a HUGE A-Frame entry is what SHOULD be on those permits, but I;m not holding my breath.

Imigine if one of us in here had big developer's money.....

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 11:45 pm   Permalink

Bring it on!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-01-20 6:09 pm   Permalink

There is good reason to be optimistic about this venture. Keep your fingers crossed!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-01-20 6:15 pm   Permalink

Beverly Hills was like a Ghost Town today, which was nice.

Next time I'll shoot before the Sun starts going down.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-20 7:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-17 11:15, Crowntiki wrote:
"Owner is Andy Hewitt of Il Sole, Chef is Mako of Mako’s on S. Beverly Drive and Loree Rodkin is doing the design…should be fabulous"....

Il Sole is on Sunset in West Hollywood, so the owner should have the necessary contacts to secure financing sufficient to do justice to the interior, particularly if hiring an interior designer.

I think this BH space is considered in the "Golden Triangle," so there should be enough traffic to keep it going (unlike SF TV).

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 9:52 pm   Permalink

That appears to be the former site of "The Ginger Man" restaurant, owned many years ago by Carroll O' Connor. Except then it was dark green with brass accents, that sort of thing. New York style place, piano bar. It was lovely.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 11:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-17 16:03, tikiyaki wrote:
Well...with the post yesterday about MAXIM MAGAZINE'S IN and OUT list, with TIKI BARS "IN" for this year coming up, let's see what develops. No one is going to do a Tiki restaurant the old school (ie: right way) but let's see what happens.

A bridge over a moat, with a HUGE A-Frame entry is what SHOULD be on those permits, but I;m not holding my breath.

Imigine if one of us in here had big developer's money.....

In Waikiki, a new A-frame is being built.
However, this structure, with its emphasis on the horizontal and the patio, is probably not the best candidate for an A-frame.

However, Trader Vic's BH and Tiki-Ti have small A-frames, so who knows?

I was hoping for tiki torches.

spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 9:21 pm   Permalink

Found this recent Zagat article:

http://www.zagat.com/Blog/Detail.aspx?SNP=NLA&SCID=37&BLGID=9295&zagatbuzzid=jan08week4

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-01-24 7:10 pm   Permalink

Here's a map from the Old Luau location to new Luau location -

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation