FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
New Luau in Beverly Hills?
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-28 12:33, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-10-28 12:17, thejab wrote:
Sven, when are you visiting Forbidden island?

When it's seven minutes from my house, like the Tiki Ti.
How about opening a Forbidden Island in the middle of the Silver lake? I would build a sky lift with little Tiki shaped gondolas from my house down to it.

Because it would get all wet and start to smell funny.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 4:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-28 12:17, thejab wrote:
But does it have to be exactly like the old Luau? As much as I love the look of the old one I think Ben and others have created something that's a nice blend of old and new. However, it's hard to get the complete feel of the place from a few pictures. I would like to go there someday and see it for myself. And I can't wait to try the drinks that Jeff Berry selected for the place.

Jab,

I met Cheryl Crane at the pre opening party and she loved
the new Luau. She said it was perfect for 2009. And she enjoyed the small touches of the past Luau too.

Also, they have some pretty good steaks for you to check out.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonegoannas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-28 6:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-28 12:00, bigbrotiki wrote:

I don't have to sit there to see that. Because Tiki has nothing to do with common sense, but all with Tiki sense.

Again I will have to disagree here with you. Does a picture or two of Tiki-Ti give anybody a true feeling of what it is like to be there? If it does, why would any of us even need to go there? I could make a Mai Tai at home and stare at a photo of the Ti and it would be just the same!

Part of a successful "Tiki Bar", in my opinion, is not only the decor, the cocktails, or the music but the ambiance. All these aspects, and more, coming together to create a unique experience. The vibe put off by the place, in other words. Some do it much better than others. I live about 10 minutes from a tiki bar and go there on occasion. The interior is fantastic. But I still rather take a 30 minute drive to Tiki-Ti. You can not compare the two as far ambiance, yet visually somewhat similar.

No picture can give you a true representation of what it is like to be in a successful tiki bar.

The Luau has done a great job, in my opinion, of presenting what may be considered an "upscale tiki inspired" restaurant. Is it Tiki as defined by YOU, maybe not. But perhaps it is Tiki none the less.

Jeff

View Profile of gonegoannas Send a personal message to gonegoannas  Email gonegoannas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-28 7:45 pm   Permalink

"That seems to be part of the motivation for Hewitt's ambitious re-imagining of the storied Luau. When asked why he decided to open a tiki bar in Beverly Hills' pricey Golden Triangle, the first thing he does is disavow the "T" word. "It's not tiki," he says emphatically. "I call it Polynesian panache."

If the owner says it's not a Tiki Bar then why are we haggling over whether it is or isn't?

Just call it a cool Polynesian Panache Bar.

Years from now we will be haggling over which was the first Polynesian Panache Bar that started the PP craze.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 8:10 pm   Permalink

But hell, I just love a good argument, so here:

Quote:

On 2008-10-28 18:57, gonegoannas wrote:
The Luau has done a great job, in my opinion, of presenting what may be considered an "upscale tiki inspired" restaurant. Is it Tiki as defined by YOU, maybe not. But perhaps it is Tiki none the less.

Good, you can have your Tiki, and I can have my Tiki! Taste is in the eye of ...and so on.

If I still have not made myself clear, I am sorry. Perhaps this could work as a new version of a "Tiki Bar"--any Tiki Bar, that is. But he is not calling it a Tiki Bar (which the original Luau was), he is calling it THE LUAU.
As I feared before, and elaborately explained on the previous page, this place just doesn't deliver what the tradition of the original entails. And THAT I can determine from my desk. No matter what the lovely Ms. Crane, who has been a high end realtor since the Luau closed, says.

Quote:

On 2008-10-28 18:57, gonegoannas wrote:
No picture can give you a true representation of what it is like to be in a successful tiki bar.

And I also can determine from here that an image of a wall of Buddha hands, like the one on the opening page of the L.A. Times article, sends a mixed message to the many people that will never go to visit this place, just like the images in my Book of Tiki sent a clear message (judging by what they inspired all around the world, in places that never HAD Tiki bars). Images are not the experience, no, but they are equally (or even more) powerful.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 9:06 pm   Permalink

Sven,

Read page 3, bottom post.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 10:01 pm   Permalink

Is it just me or are the old photos of the Luau a bit bright and carnival like?
too me it looks like a Easter parade meets tiki,
and way too bright in there.
or is that flash for the photos?

I prefer my tiki destinations to be very dimly lit.

Sven, go to the New Luau and tell them to ditch the Buddha hands,
or else.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 10:36 pm   Permalink

Big Jeff, you can't be serious. Have you seen ANY restaurant postcards from the 50s that were lit in the mood lighting that the restaurants actually were lit in? C'mon. Of course it was flash photography all the way. (That's on aspect were Gonegoannas is right: Vintage Tiki Lounge photos do not represent the lighting mood of a Tiki Bar well.)

Ben, I KNOW they are not trying to be the old Luau. Obviously. But they could have done better in imbuing the place with the original Luaus SPIRIT and MANA, instead of a pale pastiche of it (that's the opposite of Polynesian panache).

Let me recap: The old Luau was THE Tiki Bar. But they don't want it to be a Tiki Bar. And they don't want it to be the old Luau. Uh, why did they CALL it The Luau again?

Sorry, I promise I'll stop (if you won't give me cause to continue, that is...)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 11:11 pm   Permalink

Sven,
well considering that I was not around(age wise)for the first wave of tiki.
I do not know what the inside of a tiki bar restaurant would look like.
I assumed that it was lit up with a flash.

but,I still say that some of the bright colors and plastic looking plants in the pics of the Luau make it look kinda like a circus circus version of a tiki restaurant(TO ME).

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-28 11:33 pm   Permalink

Which of these two interors is going to attract the well-to-do that are willing to come in and pay $14-$18 a pop for a drink? Nowadays alot of people equate "Tiki" with "tacky" which is why the wanted to call it Polynesian Panache, and not Tiki. Today's society (especially in LA) has a different set of tatses than 40 years ago.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2008-10-28 23:37 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 11:52 pm   Permalink

I'll pay for the drink if the place looks more like this - the original. I still prefer the old-school Luau.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 01:19 am   Permalink

I found this other sculpture that could work with the design theme.

I don't think it's Tiki but it might be Polynesian panache. or at least as Polynesian as the Buddha hand things.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 06:57 am   Permalink

Jeff, are you seriously still assuming that the old Luau would have have looked like that when you stepped into it, color-wise!?

Golly, Grog, do you think I don't understand that? Do you think I am NEW in this world? Does that make it a good Tiki Bar then?

Dusty, you are just such an old-school guy!

Look, friends, y'all can flock there and and admire the fact that it is not done in "circus colors", applaud that it follows the common consensus taste of the rich, and revel in the fact that it looks more like a 40s bamboo bar than a mid-century Tiki bar, this is YOUR future Tiki bar then, congratulations. Confronted with this combined level of confusion and diffusion, I throw the towel, you win. Its a middle of the road, muted, "classy" world that we want!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-10-29 07:01 ]

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 07:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-29 06:57, bigbrotiki wrote:

Look, friends, y'all can flock there and and admire the fact that it is not done in "circus colors", applaud that it follows the common consensus taste of the rich, and revel in the fact that it looks more like a 40s bamboo bar than a mid-century Tiki bar, this is YOUR future Tiki bar then, congratulations. Confronted with this combined level of confusion and diffusion, I throw the towel, you win. Its a middle of the road, muted, "classy" world that we want!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-10-29 07:01 ]

" It's Polynesian Panache!"

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-10-29 07:25 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 07:28 am   Permalink

How about Poly-Asian pastiche?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation