FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
New Luau in Beverly Hills?
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-30 09:35 am   Permalink

Oops, I didn't know this topic already passed the cutoff for more comments. Happens to me a lot, so that's part of why I don't post as much anymore - can't keep up!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 10:09 am   Permalink

Your intelligent and thoughtful posts are always appreciated here, Randy, and we wish to see more of them.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 11:10 am   Permalink

Notice the sign.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFSlQ6ABtUg&feature=channel

...it just says, LUAU.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-30 12:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-30 11:10, RevBambooBen wrote:
Notice the sign.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFSlQ6ABtUg&feature=channel

...it just says, LUAU.

At least it wasn't Jimmy Buffett.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 1:43 pm   Permalink

Here Ben, maybe I can take some slack for you http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30316&forum=2&1,I like the puffer fish, great minds think alike (only mine change colour )

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kiniki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-30 1:44 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Kiniki 2008-11-02 08:32 ]

View Profile of Tiki Kiniki Send a personal message to Tiki Kiniki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 2:04 pm   Permalink

Great point!!!!! The guy who put up the Cash for the restaurant has the final word and he was smart enough to hire some great artist that will bring a bit of tiki to a higher end clientele. I love Tiki Bar's but putting something like the Tiki-Ti in Beverley Hills is like putting perfume on a pig!!!! Great Work Ray and Ben!!!! Keep it coming!!!! This is more of Phase II Tiki!!!!!Tiki with a twist!!!!! This is just another layer to the onion!!!

But keep the focus on Great Tiki artist that are getting paying gig's doing what they do best!!!!

So it is written so let it be done!!!!!!

Still your greatest work Ray!!!!!! Now can you dig that?

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-30 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-30 13:44, Tiki Kiniki wrote:
I have to say that after reading through this thread - or rather extended argument - I'm a little confused. Why is it that the artists and artisans who get PAID for creating the art and conception of the owners have to sit back and defend their creations to people who only write about or critique others people's work? Their only talents lie with pen, ink and written word and last time I checked....nobody spends much time reading in tiki bars. Just a thought!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Kiniki 2008-10-30 14:25 ]

Kiniki,

Sometimes arguments can get a little overheated, but I think you're looking at this the wrong way.

I think it's wonderful that artists and critics can talk about things in a public forum. It's free speech. And the fact that the Tiki community is so open that people feel free to discuss these things is really refreshing.

I may not always agree with people's criticism, but it would be really sad if the discussion died out and Tiki Central just turned into a repository of still photographs because nobody felt they were entitled to discuss or critique things.

We may not read in Tiki Bars (due to dim lighting and difficulty in juggling mai tais while flipping pages) but at home we all read quite a bit...and it's through thinking hard about our aesthetic choices that we come to a better understanding of what "Tiki" or "Pop Polynesian" style means to us.

By all means, let's praise our artists and their art. But don't belittle the writers. Their voices are important also!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 7:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-30 13:44, Tiki Kiniki wrote:
I have to say that after reading through this thread - or rather extended argument - I'm a little confused. Why is it that the artists and artisans who get PAID for creating the art and conception of the owners have to sit back and defend their creations to people who only write about or critique others people's work? Their only talents lie with pen, ink and written word and last time I checked....nobody spends much time reading in tiki bars. Just a thought!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Kiniki 2008-10-30 14:25 ]

Hey! Sven is also Editor & Art Director!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 8:03 pm   Permalink

I can't wait to check this place out and make my own opinion. Bamboo Ben has never let me down. Who cares if Elton John eats here. He used to be cool in the 70's...after that not so much. "Saturday Nights alright for fighting" (that is the shit) I want to try the Beachbum Berry drinks.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 8:17 pm   Permalink

From the pictures I like the choice of (the admittedly very few) tikis, I like the visual quote of the pre-tiki Bamboo Bar look on the stairway, and I LOVE the constellation of puffer fish. Bravo Ben! An incredible job as always.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 9:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-30 19:43, freddiefreelance wrote:
Hey! Sven is also Editor & Art Director!

Nooo, I "only write about or critique others people's work, and my ONLY talents lie in pen, ink, and written word"! And I have used these talents mercilessly to attack the works of Ray and Ben in this thread! Because what I really was aiming for is to transplant the Tiki Ti to Beverly Hills! Yep! You got it figured out goood, guys!
My goodness, the pain....

And Freddie, thank you, but I don't think there is an easy label for my work and its effect. Or maybe it's very easy: I find images I like and I share them with people, so they can enjoy them too --which they do!

Then I ad a little text to the images so it's not just mindless fun. Then, when people misunderstand my visuals, or misinterpret them, I try to explain what I liked about them in the first place. Some friends think I shouldn't even try, but I can't help it. Don't people SEE !!!?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 9:13 pm   Permalink

Now where did I put that lock?..................

P.s. n Nice talking to you last night Sven.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kiniki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-30 9:31 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Kiniki 2008-11-02 08:33 ]

View Profile of Tiki Kiniki Send a personal message to Tiki Kiniki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 9:43 pm   Permalink

I got it! It's the Babylonian curse! I seemingly speak and write the same language, but it is not comprehended the same way.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation