FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
New Luau in Beverly Hills?
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-08-13 08:40 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2008-08-13 08:41 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 12:08 am   Permalink

Instead of taking one's out-of-town guests to Spago, one can pass by and go to the Luau.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-08-26 1:59 pm   Permalink

Posted Today on Eater LA.

Eater Progress Report: Luau Beverly Hills
Tuesday, August 26, 2008, by Lesley Balla

After numerous reader inquiries, we finally popped over to check out the status of the forthcoming Luau on Bedford Drive and noted lots of progress. Although this is Andy Hewitt's (concert promoter and owner of Il Sole) contemporary take on the classic Beverly Hills restaurant that was celeb-spotting haven on Rodeo Drive in the 50s and 60s (it closed in 1978), Luau won't be some kitschy ode to tiki. The colors of the former Colors on Bedford have been covered with an earthy brown, thatched awnings and bamboo lined patio (that one "local" found to be the perfect cover for an afternoon nap), and although the windows are completely papered over, we understand the inside is coming along nicely.

In the September issue of Vanity Fair, designer Loree Rodkin said she and Hewitt wanted to create a "Zen-like retreat," which translates to Balinese-inspired decor (wood, stone, water elements, Buddha relics, Turkish lanterns). Chef Makoto Tanaka (current chef/owner of Mako, opening chef of Chinois on Main) plans a Pacific Rim menu, things like macadamia-crusted lamb, braised pork spring rolls, and a pupu platter with Wagyu meatballs and firecracker shrimp among others. This might be the only real throwback to the original: Renown tikiologist Jeff Berry recovered many of Luau's original cocktail recipes (he literally cracked the code) and plans to serve some of the rum-centric signature drinks in hollowed out coconut and pineapple shells. The magazine says the restaurant will open in September, it's looking more like October.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 2:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the update, Boris! I saw the blip in the Sept Vanity Fair, and was almost ready to make the trip. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer. The whole balinese thing didn't sound so great, but the Jeff Berry cocktails will hopefully be able make up for it.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-26 3:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-26 13:59, Bora Boris wrote:
Posted Today on Eater LA.

Eater Progress Report: Luau Beverly Hills
Tuesday, August 26, 2008, by Lesley Balla

After numerous reader inquiries, we finally popped over to check out the status of the forthcoming Luau on Bedford Drive and noted lots of progress. Although this is Andy Hewitt's (concert promoter and owner of Il Sole) contemporary take on the classic Beverly Hills restaurant that was celeb-spotting haven on Rodeo Drive in the 50s and 60s (it closed in 1978), Luau won't be some kitschy ode to tiki.

Grrrr!!!! Frikken writers!

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 3:26 pm   Permalink

yep - here's the Vanity Fair blip referred to that I scanned, but hadn't gotten a chance to post.....it's good they are getting some wide-read press

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 8:40 pm   Permalink

That is excellent press.
Hopefully it will open while the weather is still warm.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 10:17 pm   Permalink

Think it'll be a snooty place that'll look down on Hawaiian shirts?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 10:50 pm   Permalink

Anytime i see words like "inspired" or "fusion", I reach for the neutral button up collar shirt and black slacks.....

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 12:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-26 22:17, spy-tiki wrote:
Think it'll be a snooty place that'll look down on Hawaiian shirts?

I think we can plan on $7 valet parking, entrees that run from $25 to $35, Beachbum Barry inspired drinks that cost $12 & more and an after work crowd.

Chances are most of their patrons will not be decked in Aloha garb, even on Fridays.
However, that does not mean that they won't appreciate those who are.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 10:37 am   Permalink

"They" will appreciate diddleysquat when it comes to classic Tiki. Why I ask you do they choose a clearly Hawaiian name, associated with Polynesia, to grace a "Balinese-style place with Buddha statues and Turkish lamps", and how is that a "contemporary version of the iconic favorite" (meaning the Beverly Hills Luau?) The Luau was a Tiki power place, a temple of Tiki culture, filled with unique artifacts. You can get that Balinese/Buddha/Turkish lamp crap at any Cost Plus/World Market or Asian garden supply store nowadays...but it is soooo much more tasteful than Tiki!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-08-27 10:37 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-27 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-27 10:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
"They" will appreciate diddleysquat when it comes to classic Tiki. Why I ask you do they choose a clearly Hawaiian name, associated with Polynesia, to grace a "Balinese-style place with Buddha statues and Turkish lamps", and how is that a "contemporary version of the iconic favorite" (meaning the Beverly Hills Luau?) The Luau was a Tiki power place, a temple of Tiki culture, filled with unique artifacts. You can get that Balinese/Buddha/Turkish lamp crap at any Cost Plus/World Market or Asian garden supply store nowadays...but it is soooo much more tasteful than Tiki!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-08-27 10:37 ]

That's the part I don't get....just call it something else.

One thing I do notice lately is how trendy Buddha is. Just walk along the canals of Venice and every rebuilt, Modern, rich persons' house (no doubt some entertainment attorney or sitcom writer) has a Buddha in the yard. Being that my Taiwanese fiancee' prays to buddha pretty much every day in the house (there are 2 little "temples" in the house) I'm guessing that these people don't really know the significance, and are just chasing some misguided, Hollywood idea of "Zen"...it's kinda funny...but it's really Trendy right now to have a Buddha in your yard, house, etc....

So, naturally after seeing the Balinese/Asian/Buddha theme at all these people's houses (The Luau is owned by some big "Industry" people) they are catering to these people no doubt.

The Good news is, Bamboo Ben is hopefully putting the little Boo's through college with these big jobs from fat Hollywood Cats.

Go Boo !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 3:49 pm   Permalink

So is Jeff Berry. I appreciate it. More financial power to them. But don't expect their names to make up for the lack of authenticity.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 4:37 pm   Permalink

I'm with you bigbro.

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 10:16 pm   Permalink

Buddha, Bali and Turkey could all be considered 'exotic', but why keep the name 'Luau' (like Tikiyaki said) which is strictly rooted in Hawaii, for an establishment that will never have anything close to a mid-century/poly-pop style luau event.

What could possibly follow in the future? If this fusion thing really starts taking off and getting out of hand yet accepted, It could be the beginning of the complete devolution of all singular cultures (or become something like 'modern Americanized exotic pop culture cuisine'). I'm thinking the next move might be....hmmmmm... Bar mitzvahs with Pinatas and Margaritas?.... Gelfite taco, anyone?

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation