FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
New Luau in Beverly Hills?
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 10:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

What could possibly follow in the future? If this fusion thing really starts taking off and getting out of hand yet accepted, It could be the beginning of the complete devolution of all singular cultures (or become something like 'modern Americanized exotic pop culture cuisine'). I'm thinking the next move might be....hmmmmm... Bar mitzvahs with Pinatas and Margaritas?.... Gelfite taco, anyone?

Hey Howland, don't be knocking it. Maybe Canter's can offer Sabu Chicken if the new Luau can't?

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 11:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-27 22:16, Howland wrote:
Buddha, Bali and Turkey could all be considered 'exotic', but why keep the name 'Luau' (like Tikiyaki said) which is strictly rooted in Hawaii, for an establishment that will never have anything close to a mid-century/poly-pop style luau event.

I am torn. I love Bhudda bars almost as much as much as I like Tiki.
The bar designed by Bamboo Ben in SilverLake has a Tiki - Mexican fusion, so maybe a Balinese - Tiki fusion bar by Bamboo Ben also is all good.

It also may be that Balienese Bhudda bar restaurants are a good investment as they are popular. There is no shortage of them in LA:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11645&forum=6&hilite=bhudda

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-28 05:16 am   Permalink

..well...at one point in time it was trendy to put a tiki on your front lawn......now it's trendy to put a buddha on the lawn,

this too shall pass......lawn jockies were all the rage not too long ago as well.

...signs of the times.....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-08-28 05:17 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-01 9:50 pm   Permalink

Sounds like they are going to be not-unlike Trader Vics BH. Overpriced food and drink and no tikis. Add a standoffish waitstaff and the simile is complete. I was so hoping that there would be a nice new tiki restaurant in the neighborhood. Bah.

Gefilte taco, LOL!

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 12:09 am   Permalink

I jus..t noticed the Mai Tai bar in the LBC has bhudda art.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-02 07:37 am   Permalink

Well...there you have it.

Buddha is the new Tiki.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-09-02 09:22 am   Permalink

It's safe to use a Buddha too, sure he's exotic and cool but he's also easy going and Buddhists being Buddhists won't get upset if you have him around. Can you say that for any other religious icons, Tiki's included?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 09:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-02 09:22, Bora Boris wrote:
It's safe to use a Buddha too, sure he's exotic and cool but he's also easy going and Buddhists being Buddhists won't get upset if you have him around. Can you say that for any other religious icons, Tiki's included?

Too late!

But seriously though, I'm sure Buddhists don't take too lightly seeing people drinking out of those mugs, any more than a Christian would after seeing someone drinking out of a Jesus head mug, or a Muslim seeing caricatures of Muhammad.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 10:42 am   Permalink

??? A reminder to differentiate here again: All these aforementioned religions vary greatly in their attitude towards use of their icons. Authentic Polynesian idol worship is a dead culture by en large. Islamic culture, on the other hand, by its definition simply forbids any depictions of god. And Christianity has many devotees who buy all kinds of Jesus kitsch, so do Buddhists with plastic Buddhas. To me, the main instigators of conflict and overzealous political correctness in religions are individuals who insist on formality over spiritual content.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-09-02 11:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-02 10:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
??? A reminder to differentiate here again: All these aforementioned religions vary greatly in their attitude towards use of their icons. Authentic Polynesian idol worship is a dead culture by en large. Islamic culture, on the other hand, by its definition simply forbids any depictions of god. And Christianity has many devotees who buy all kinds of Jesus kitsch, so do Buddhists with plastic Buddhas. To me, the main instigators of conflict and overzealous political correctness in religions are individuals who insist on formality over spiritual content.

Exactly!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 2:08 pm   Permalink

I can't say I totally agree with you, BB. Buddhism is a huge and varied religion as many denominations and branches as the Judeo-Christian religion. I'm not just talking about the vegan cookie-eating, zen garden-tending, incense-burning, yoga and meditation-doing, 'Free Tibet' protester Buddhists. I've known many people who have been Buddhists for many generations, yet never stepped into a temple. I knew one person who was not a vegetarian, but couldn't eat seafood chosen from a tank, because he could not choose who would die. A kid I grew up with, during 6th grade took a religious break, joined a monastary, and came back a few months later with a shaved head. Many of my friends' parents maintain a small household shrine and make regular offerings of food to it. They all consider themselves Buddhists, although by textbook definitions they are not.

These Buddhists I know wouldn't be caught dead (or reincarnated -heh-) in a Buddha bar, and I would certainly never drink out of a Buddha's belly mug in front of them. Yes, I've seen some of of them have plastic Buddha trinkets dangling from their rearview mirror, but they didn't get it for the kitsch value.

I'm not at all advocating over-PCness. I'm just saying that Buddhists wouldn't take it _lightly_, and I stick by that.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-09-02 2:18 pm   Permalink

My point was that in the bigger picture they'd probably not care that much as to fuss about it and if it made someone happy to drink out of a Buddha belly mug then they'd probably be glad that someone was happy.

floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 2:57 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: floratina 2008-09-02 20:16 ]

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 5:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

To me, the main instigators of conflict and overzealous political correctness in religions are individuals who insist on formality over spiritual content.

I find alcohol to be very spiritual. But really I thought this thread was about the new Luau in Bev hills?

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 8:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-02 17:23, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Quote:

To me, the main instigators of conflict and overzealous political correctness in religions are individuals who insist on formality over spiritual content.

I find alcohol to be very spiritual. But really I thought this thread was about the new Luau in Bev hills?

I liked his point, though.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation