[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Warren Barker - Far Away Places
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Warren Barker - Far Away Places
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-19 06:46 am   Permalink

This LP on Warner Brothers is a terrific exotica album that doesn't get discussed too often. I suspect that if it had a babe or a tiki on the cover, rather than William Holden, it would attract more attention.

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2008-01-19 06:47 ]

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-19 09:11 am   Permalink

Right on. Of course, all the magic here is Warren Barker (77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Tropicale w/Tommy Morgan). Several enchanting tracks on this LP. Of particular note I think are Malayan Nightbird, a Barker original composition, and Moonflowers. Also contains a very good version of Lotus Land.

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-19 12:00 pm   Permalink

I agree that the cover art was a bad choice, and a bit "out of synch" with what was going on at the time. However, it's a GREAT album. I especially LOVE the arrangement of Lotus Land and that it contains the only other version of Moonflower I've ever heard outside of the film where it was sung by Dorothy Lamor, "The Road To Bali."

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-19 12:05 pm   Permalink

Has anybody heard his Music of Desire LP? How does that one measure up?

View Profile of Quiet Village Idiot Send a personal message to Quiet Village Idiot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-22 7:10 pm   Permalink

For years I thought it finished with Lyman, Denny and Baxter.

Then I found TC!

Thanks all.

The William Holden ties in was from Suzie Wong, no? I'd rather have seen Nancy Kwan.

[ This Message was edited by: Vonratnick 2008-01-22 19:12 ]

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 01:11 am   Permalink

I have so much to learn... you mean I can't choose exotica based just on sexy girls on the jacket cover? Damn!

Seriously, I'd love to find this LP. But I try not to buy online, so the Goodwill stores and a couple of used record stores are my only sources and Mr. Holden hasn't shown up... yet.]

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 3:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-23 01:11, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

Seriously, I'd love to find this LP. But I try not to buy online, so the Goodwill stores and a couple of used record stores are my only sources and Mr. Holden hasn't shown up... yet.]

Bongo,

I found it in an old record shop in Biddeford Maine for 3 bucks last summer. Mono, but in good shape. I NEVER thought it would ever show up, but it did.

Keep hope alive. It will show up one of these days.

~glen leslie

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 4:02 pm   Permalink

This is one of my favorites. It isn't exotica in the classic sense. It is more of an orchestral exotica alubm. William Holden does the liner notes and yes, I also beleive that the "World of Suzy Wong" is a tie in. I have an absolutely sparkling transfer of a pristine stereo LP if anyone is interested. Let me know. I can always do a temporary post for anyone interested.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 09:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-19 12:05, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:

Dear QVI,

Quince_at_Danny's and I scored that record in Chicago in November. It's in a big pile of LPs we picked up on a road trip from Minneapolis MN to Toledo OH. I'm not sure yet, which one of us will end up with it, but we've both listened to it.

To me, it sounds like Warner Bros.' response to Les Baxter on Capitol records. Like they said, "hey Warren, this guy Baxter is selling alot of LPs, what can you do for us." And the "stringier" side of Les I should add-- such as Space Escapades, but with more percussion and audio/stereo effects. It's not great, but it has it's moments. I could see the LP growing on me (I've only heard it once so far).

IZ

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 10:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-19 12:05, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:

I like this album. It's a crossbreed of exotic percussion, strings and brilliant arranging. It is similiar to Les Baxter's more orchestral Exotica but the sharp attacks of the string section give it a whole different vibe.

Another great Warren Barker album is "Warren Barker is "IN". This is very cool album of jazz beatnik music. Like walking into a coffeehouse in the 50's. Think classic Henry Mancini. You can listen to it over and over and it still sounds fresh!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 10:48 am   Permalink

Oooooh, sounds nice! Does it have a cool or silly Beatnik cover?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 11:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

...Like they said, "hey Warren, this guy Baxter is selling alot of LPs, what can you do for us."

I think it's safe to assume that nearly ALL the exotica one-offs that were made were in response to a label wanting a Baxter or Denny record.

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 2:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-24 10:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
Oooooh, sounds nice! Does it have a cool or silly Beatnik cover?

Nah, the cover is kind of boring. It does tell you what was "IN" though for 1959. Hopefully you can read it.

Music of Desire definitely has a better looking cover.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2008-01-24 15:01 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 4:23 pm   Permalink

That is a very odd cover. "Subsidized athletes are IN if you go to an OUT school"? "Hi-fi recordings of bowling balls are OUT"?

WHAT?!?

I'll have whatever they're drinking. I think. Maybe.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 5:13 pm   Permalink

1. Burn the Warren Barker originals from "77 Sunset Strip" onto CD-RW. Omit the Cole Porter covers.

2. Add the 3 or 4 Warren Barker originals from "Warren Barker is In" onto said CD-R.

3. You end up with a KILLER crime-jazz disc!

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2008-01-24 17:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: OnyaBirri 2008-01-24 17:14 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation