[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Warren Barker - Far Away Places
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Warren Barker - Far Away Places
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 8:26 pm   Permalink

OK, by request, "Far Away Places" is up for download for a limited time at: digitiki.com Enjoy.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-25 02:02 am   Permalink

I'm enjoying it right now. Thanks, Digitiki!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-25 06:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-24 11:01, OnyaBirri wrote:
Quote:

...Like they said, "hey Warren, this guy Baxter is selling alot of LPs, what can you do for us."

I think it's safe to assume that nearly ALL the exotica one-offs that were made were in response to a label wanting a Baxter or Denny record.

True enough, but many of those "one-offs" end up sounding quite original and interesting, whereas this album seems a little more derivative to me. That's said, Jeff's description is better than mine. I'm looking forward to hearing it more after reading his report.

With regards to Warren Barker is In, Quince and I picked that up also on that same road trip to Toledo. What are the chances? As others have said, it's a great crime jazz/ beatnik kinda thing. The double burn with Sunset strip is a good idea. Hmmmmm....

I, Z
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnyaBirri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-25 06:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

True enough, but many of those "one-offs" end up sounding quite original and interesting...

Agree 100%

View Profile of OnyaBirri Send a personal message to OnyaBirri      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-28 1:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks Digitiki, great stuff, much appreciated. Funny, a lot of the tracks remind me of the Suzy Wong soundtrack.

BTW, sparkling cut! What software/system do you use? I have an early 50's album of Hawaiian instrumental music for slide nights that is proving a challenge for my Audio Cleaning Lab.

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-29 09:49 am   Permalink

This is a wonderful thing you've done, DT! Many thanks for sharing your *exquisite* transfer, it's a real prize for the archives. As a longtime soundtrack collector, the cinematic feel of this "lost" exotica LP's splendid orchestrations is especially appreciated.

A mighty Mahalo Nui Nui!
SOK

and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-30 1:46 pm   Permalink

Vonratnick,
I have a small project recording studio, so I use Digital Performer as the recording software and run it through Waves' Restoration Bundle software. That is THE best thing I've found for cleaning audio. And best of all, it doesn't color the sound, well at least very very little. Sometimes it doesn't remove all of the pops and clicks, so I go in and remove them by hand.

But I must say, this LP trasfer was pretty clean to begin with. The bells are amazingly crisp.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
culturevirus

Posted: 2008-02-01 10:16 am   Permalink

thank you for making this album available Digitiki, and for going the extra round to make some quick CD inserts for it. for those who are interested and are soulseek users, I have many exotica-related albums that I'm sharing. search for user name culturevirus

View Profile of culturevirus Send a personal message to culturevirus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation