Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help identifying some finds
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Help identifying some finds
tikirosa

Posted: 2008-01-19 7:14 pm   Permalink

Hi, new to this post, Just thought i'd share some of my new findings.
The first picure is of a statue I found in an antique store located in san antonio, texas. Looks like a KU GOD.
Monkey Pod from the Phillipines are marked at the bottom of the base.
Does anyone know anything about this statue? Where it comes from? Who made it? etc...

The second picture has two identical mugs found in a thrift store got them for $5 bucks. No markings on them.
The two little statues to the left were also found at a thrift store for 50 cents great buy!!! No markings either.
The middle item is a statue, but not sure if it's african or tiki? Defenitely no markings. Has cool earings dangling.

If you have any info please let me know ASAP this is driving me carzzzzy!!!! HELP!!!!!

View Profile of tikirosa Send a personal message to tikirosa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-19 9:52 pm   Permalink

You wouldn't happen to know saradar44 who has the exact same statue as you and was asking yesterday in the CARVING thread about that KU tiki that they found in San Antonio, also?
What an amazing coincedence!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2008-01-19 9:57 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2008-01-19 21:59 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2008-01-19 9:58 pm   Permalink

By the way, did you see rule#6 in the Tiki Central rules?

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2008-01-19 22:00 ]

Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-19 10:26 pm   Permalink

The mugs look like Westwood, but I can't place the exact type, and the noses don't look right (not square enough). Are you certain they aren't marked "Japan" on the bottom?

The little statues look South American - I don't know what to make of the earring statue.

And the Ku is very nice, but it looked better on the chair.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirosa

Posted: 2008-01-19 10:52 pm   Permalink

Sorry about rule #6.
But i am a different user. I do know saradar44 in san antonio this is our first time at tiki cantral.
He made a mistake and posted on the wrong forum.
So then I opened an account to place the statue on the correct forum.
Thanks for pointing it out.
Good Catch!!!!!

View Profile of tikirosa Send a personal message to tikirosa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-20 01:20 am   Permalink

No worries, eh? Live and learn.

Did you check the bottom of the mugs? Do they say "Japan"? Also, do they have handles on the back?

That earring statue is similar to the earring mug from the Tonga Room and the Islander - wonder if they are related in some way.

[ This Message was edited by: Koolau 2008-01-20 01:23 ]

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-20 05:39 am   Permalink

Nice find Tikirosa. And welcome to TC. Your mugs are made by BEST EVER of Japan. Made out of red clay.Here's three from my collection. Tiki Quest says they may have been used at the Hawaiian Cottage. Good find !

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-20 08:41 am   Permalink

nice mugs.. the one on the left is most common....i've never seen the other 2 before....they are very cool..

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirosa

Posted: 2008-01-20 09:12 am   Permalink

Thanks alot UNCLE TRAV for the information. No the mugs don't have a tag or any writing on the bottom. They do have handles.
As for the small statue can't seem to find any info. I liked your collection.

GROG

Posted: 2008-01-20 11:05 am   Permalink

Well then, welcome both of you to Tiki Central. There are some more Texans on the forum and they are planning to get together May 3rd in Dallas at the Trade Vics. You can find the thread in "other events".

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-20 11:14 am   Permalink

Tikirosa,

Uncle Trav beat me to the post, I have the same mug you were asking about, and I was going to say exactly what he was going to say. The carved tri-face "bowl" was something I saw at the thrift store yesterday, but was not painted like yours. I believe the others are right in saying it is South American / Mexican. That is far too common in this state and I would assume in states bordering Mexico. No worries if you want to collect them, just keep in mind they aren't Polynesian in origin, but do look good in a separate collection for SA/Mexican Idols. The carved statue that appears first in your post is Hawaiian. Stick around and you'll learn what is Polynesian and what isn't. Good to have you two aboard!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-20 9:19 pm   Permalink

Very cool - I've never heard of the manufacturer BEST EVER before; something else to keep an eye out for.

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 12:00 pm   Permalink

Here's the ones I have. You can see the handles in this photo. No stickers on mine.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 9:35 pm   Permalink

Three of those mugs just sold on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200191934769&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation