[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help identifying some finds
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Help identifying some finds
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-01-22 2:11 pm   Permalink

aloha
i have a few of these mugs with a fred roberts sticker on them!
hope it helps.

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 2:25 pm   Permalink

Actually, I'd say that is Kane, and not Ku. Ku has a much more pronounced head dress than this. Also, the eyes are a bit different.

Kane is on the left, Ku on the right.

Tiki Calendar for 2008

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2008-01-22 14:27 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 2:41 pm   Permalink

Why does Kane look like he has boobs. Kane is a male tiki right?

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 11:45 pm   Permalink

I gotta call you on that one Swanky - Ku is most often represented as having a rounded head with cross-hatched carvings leading to two braids down his back. The carving shown earlier in this post is of Ku - I'm pretty sure of that, even though my main reference source is that noted Hawaiian scholar Coco Joe's.

No, actually, even in the carving threads here in Tiki Central, you will see carvings of Ku looking very similar to tikirosa's. Same thing Googling Ku images from the Bishop Museum. Kane is often represented with a high triangular stack on his head, but then so is Lono, so it does get confusing.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 7:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-19 19:14, tikirosa wrote:
The first picure is of a statue I found in an antique store located in san antonio, texas. Looks like a KU GOD.
Monkey Pod from the Phillipines are marked at the bottom of the base.
Does anyone know anything about this statue? Where it comes from? Who made it? etc...

I would say it comes from...the Phillipines! Made by a poor local carver for pennies.

It was a fairly common design, mass-produced in varying forms until late in the game, by the likes of Orchids of Hawaii:

It was so popular in the 60s that it even made it onto a T-shirt:

I published this ad in my "Surfing Tiki" Chapter in the BOT, here is a close up:

I own a plaster version of it, together with its partner, the Surf God:

Now this "Surf God" (rather a goddess, wouldn't you say?) was also carved in larger versions:

..and even made into a mug:

I was just at a VAL SURF store in the valley (get it..VALley Surf), and they still sell T-shirts with their cool old logo on it :

...not those early (perhaps the first ever) Tiki T-shirts, though.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-23 7:43 pm   Permalink

P.S.: If anyone has an extra one of those Tiki Tiki Japan mugs, I would love to trade for it...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation