[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Tiki Drinks and Food ╗ ╗ Martinique rums
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Martinique rums
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-01 5:27 pm   Permalink

Recently picked up a bottle of this:

I'm not an expert, but honestly, I thought it tasted like something I siphoned out of the Escalade. Anyone have a recipe that might overcome?

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-01 6:15 pm   Permalink

Ti Punch.

In an old-fashioned glass:
1/2oz simple syrup
Fill with ice
Squeeze a lime wedge (1/6 or 1/8) and throw in
Fill with agricole
Stir

White agricoles are not a good bet for the uninitiated. (Note that you picked a very good one, too!) It's best to start with a young gold, like Clement VSOP which is 80-proof, unlike the 90+ or 100 that most agricoles are. Or, start with a good cachaša like Fazenda Mae De Ouro, Boca Loca, or Beleza Pura. This will get you used to the fresh cane juice tastes of agricoles.

The aromas and flavors of an agricole are quite unlike molasses-based rums. They're very noticeable in a white agricole, but you will find similarities in young aged ones, like the Clement I mentioned, or even Barbancourt 5-star (which isn't an agricole but is made with fresh cane juice an has milder tones). At 8 years old, the 5-star barely has the agricole tendencies, so the 4-star might be a better starter. Once an agricole has aged for a long time these aromas are far less noticeable. The 10-year-old Rhum JM 1997 is fantastic, and rivals cognacs for complexity.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-02 12:36 pm   Permalink

Or, as we roll in St. Barth's, just dissolve some nice turbinado sugar with the lime juice, and add the rhum and a couple cubes of ice.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Cincy_Craig
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-05 10:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-02-18 18:34, hula hula wrote:
Ok I went looking for some Rhum saint james and could'nt find any, any other suggestions? On the other hand I did pick up some lemon heart demerara rum and TV macadamia nut liqueur.

Hi,

I have some better selections of Rhum Agricole from Martinique: La Favorite & Neisson. They are produced from pure cane juice under the AOC laws of France. You can obtain them from the Cork 'n Bottle (
www.corknbottle.com ) by calling 859-261-8333. If you are able to get Brian Hue (one of the owners) on the phone,you will have the pleasure of speaking to one of the nations foremost authorities on rum and whisky/whiskey. The Cork has an amazing selection of rums (and other spirits galore), you won't be disappointed.

View Profile of Tiki_Cincy_Craig Send a personal message to Tiki_Cincy_Craig  Email Tiki_Cincy_Craig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-20 4:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-11-02 12:36, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Or, as we roll in St. Barth's, just dissolve some nice turbinado sugar with the lime juice, and add the rhum and a couple cubes of ice.

I modified this a little bit and found that I had a pretty tasty beverage. I halved 3 key limes and muddled in some turbinado sugar, ginger, and a few mint leaves. Added a few ice cubes and stirred in the rhum. More of a Caipirinha than a mojito or other rum, rum-like-rum drink.

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation